What do we feel about cost of Oud oils?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr.P, Aug 3, 2016.

?

What do we feel about cost of Oud oil?

1. Way Overpriced

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. High

28 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Unreasonable

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Fair

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  5. Cheap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Way too cheap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ammar

Ammar Oud Fan

@Dorje, you may not mean this but I give my shot...

The high and low income customers are the most happy when it comes to purchasing, because the former don’t think about the price and the latter know exactly what they want. Then there is this wide range of customers in the middle who may even have the purchase power of buying super-expensive ultra-luxurious oil once in a while to fulfill their passion but at the same time it creates a major hole in their wallet that not easy to recover from. These people are usually the ones who are looking for the best quality to the price that they can get from these pricy oils in addition to the desired scent profile by looking for objective justification behind that price mostly the grade of wood or the uniqueness of the oil which is their right, then they may start questioning the real value and price behind these oils if they can't get definite answer. We simply can’t say they need to look elsewhere for less expensive oils or to stop whining because they still have the power of purchasing.

As I said before “the preciousness of the oil is behind the wood”…

Note: This is also puts some explanation to my prior post #216.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    jensz, Dorje, littlecrowgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Nice point about the medicinal/therapeutic aspect of oud, that also influences my decision. Just yesterday I was contemplating pulling the trigger on an oud because my sample of it smells wonderful, but it did not have that therapeutic kick, so I decided against getting more. Another factor is what I have in my collection. If there is an oil that is not well represented by what is currently in my collection, then I am likely to take the dive.

jensz, Dorje, littlecrowgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Alkhadra

Alkhadra "Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan

@Ammar I am one of those people :D ugh purchasing power, smack in the middle.

Honestly, I feel that vendors can sell oils for whatever price they choose to. I am an ebay seller and sometimes when I want to sell something, I list the price and wait. After long waiting and no luck with selling the item, I realize that there currently isn't a market for this item and in this price range, and as a result I must adjust the price accordingly. Almost every single time, after adjusting the prices, my items sold immediately. Similarly, sellers can price their oils however they please as long as there is a market for them. If they have people buying up their thousand dollar oils, sheikhs, princes, etc. then they can keep selling it for those prices. Only when there is no one left to fill in that niche in the consumer market, the prices will drop.

I personally don't mind the prices.
    Also, this talk about price is inconsistent. I sometimes see people talking about the cost of running a business, cost of distillation, cost of wood, and then other people complaining about an expensive oil not smelling so great and so it costs too much. Should cost be related to smell as well? (subjective) or should it just be cost of production?(objective) or should it be both? :p

jensz and Ammar like this.
  4. Ammar

Ammar Oud Fan

@Alkhadra, I’m beside you bro LOL!

Your talk is from the seller prospective, my talk is from the buyer prospective, there’s a difference.

Regarding your insightful inquires I’m too tired to answer, these posts are so mentally exhausting!

I should stick with oud reviews LOL!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. IM_AU

IM_AU Whats this Oud About?

Going through with this thread poll results it looks like these discussions, even if they turn nasty or in arguments, are also helping consumers in their understanding. If I am not mistaking few days back I saw the poll results heavily on the overpriced side but now these votes are spread a bit. Pricing is a sensitive matter for both consumers and vendors in this niche oud world however I would just like to recognize courage and openness of AlShareef who came upfront to face the situation and answered tough questions publicly and I would like to tell him it's very much appreciated.
    We may have different opinions about pricing but these artisans are vital part of the cycle making us experience the hidden beauty of oud. As poll results reflect the consumer feelings very strongly, I hope we as a community will continualy provide such constructive data to the businesses.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    jensz, Habz786, AbasFrag and 3 others like this.
  6. Dorje

Dorje Junior Member

It looks like me and maybe one other voted "fair" but there are still 20 (vs 8) who think it is overpriced. I'd be curious to hear from the 12 saying "very overpriced" as to why they think that way?

From an outside perspective any kind of fragrant oil that starts at $100/mL for anything good would seem ridiculous, I get that, but I don't understand how anyone with some familiarity with both fragrances and how businesses work would think so.

m.arif and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  7. jalil

jalil Oud bully Staff Member

Maybe its a 1st April fools?!

04/01/2017
    IMG_3424.PNG

07/06/2016
    IMG_3425.PNG

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Mandeel AlMandeel and firdaous like this.
  8. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

IMG_1900.PNG
    :):):)@jalil Make oud cheap again or oud spring maybe !

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  9. jalil

or a pure coincidence?!

IMG_3427.PNG

10. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

jalil likes this.
  11. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

It is obviously clever marketing and sales. Nothing wrong with that per se, as long as its honest.

Regarding the comparison between the Oud Royale No.1 and Tigerwood 95, I swapped some of my Oud for a bottle of Tigerwood 95 a few months ago. Opening the cap, I smelled something familiar and then applied a tiny dot to my wrists. Half an hour later I was wondering what on Earth was going on.. I swore that I could smell wafts of Oud Royale No. 1 drydown in the Tigerwood 95. Drydown only - not the OR1 top notes. Its a deep sweet Oud liqueur note. At the time I did not have OR1 to hand, but my olfactory memory was pointing towards it. More than that... I could have sworn that the drydown of Tigerwood 95 was IDENTICAL to OR 1.

Fast forward 2-3 months and I finally got a chance to compare them side by side... a tiny dot of OR1 and Tigerwood 95 smeared on different wrists. Immediately it was clear that while Tigerwood 95 did recall OR1, it did so in a very very inferior and degraded way. I almost felt that I had rushed to the comparison and disrespected OR1. I could not believe that I had got it so wrong. Identical? Absolutely not. Was there a faint echo of the OR1 in the Tigerwood 95? For sure there is a slight echo, but no more, so I am not surprised at the comparison. The Tigerwood 95 is a very poor man's OR1.

The current price of the Tigerwood 95 is very good value for an aged Oud however.

Mandeel AlMandeel and Habz786 like this.
  12. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Its just a re-release maybe there was a demand for it, TW is a nice Oud and a nice deal. I don't find it similar to OR1 however there are subtle hints which are present in the drydown.

13. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

IMG_1904.PNG
    Guys I have something for you:
    oud is not about buying or selling, its all about sharing : next time you want discount on an oil please tell us will do the rest as a sadaqa during this blessed month.
    Magnifique...Magique LOL

14. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

15. jalil

its a pre-order pre-sold out re-realease :D

Magnifique...magique!!! TM

16. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

I promised I will stop with bashing so please don't take the following as a provocation : I'm willing to buy a bottle of Tiger wood 95 at 100$ shipped to home because I think I diserve to own a bottle of TW95.

My email is faridk33@gmail.com if anyone want to send paypal invoice ...

17. jalil

Come on bro!!!

Oud is like gold...keep investing

Take a bottle of TW95 at the pre-order gift price.

18. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

And sorry to say but it's not the best deal in the oud history!
    The best deal was made when Oud Royale I was on sale for $550, the Borneo3000 for $450 and the Chinese exclusive for $190!!!
    Tell me where is the best deal when the high grade oils are on sale for $2500...

19. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

This makes me smile especially now!just ask people who are trying to sell their bottles here and there or on ebay ...

Ouddict and Habz786 like this.
  20. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Maybe its a new batch?

Promote Oud!