• Cheap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Way too cheap

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
@Habz786
If it was proven to be a fact and that info was presented to me, of course I would have a problem with it, a huge one in fact. If you think for one iota of a second that I'd be cool with paying $400/3gm for a $150/tola oil and know it, then you really have me mistaken for a fool. To come on and say that it happened but I'm not going to tell you who did it, while at the same time using verbiage that would make "the vendor figure it out" all without proof, that's what I find peculiar. Trust is a funny thing in that it has to be built, I can trust one person without doubt based on my own dealings with that person and products in comparison to others whereas another person has to show me evidence because that trust has not been built. And all the going in circles about, "we know but you don't and I'm not going to say who but clue you right in" seems more like playing games than something I should trust.

I can understand and appreciate your point, but I have seen the evidence and what @Habz786 says is true... not only me but a few others too who are choosing to remain quiet and seeing what happens in the Oud market, I can't blame them. @Habz786 raised this so I will let him reply to you if he thinks it would be constructive.

Ouddict

@Habz786 Also, when I see someone mention a vendors product by name and say that the pricing is a result of them, I find it somewhat delusional and narcissistic because when I recall that vendor has always offered oils in that price range. It reminds me of the lyrics from a Carly Simon song, "I bet you think this song is about you" or Right Said Fred song lyrics, "I'm too sexy for my shirt". Furthermore, when have I ever been hesitant to speak my mind.

I suppose this description is also nothing to do with a post made on this forum... https://ensaroud.com/product/archipelago/434

Right... :rolleyes:

Ouddict

Why is everyone bringing up this this discussion again? Things will start heating up and the next thing you know is either your messages are moved to another thread or Mods will close the thread for further replies.

The circle of people seems quite small if you don't want to elaborate on what and who's doing that do the Market. If @habz has the courage to say the individual knows who they are and they should come forward, this is totally wrong and false. Accusations are something very very serious without 100% of proof. The burden of proof is upon the individual who is bringing this forward for everyone to see..

@koolaid79... why do you have one rule for Gaharu and another here? Many things have been said on Gaharu that are clearly aimed at people on here and not one word out of you. Rather I noticed you "liked" some of those posts. Also, as @Habz786 asked, why is Gaharu registration closed? He would be happy to go over there and speak to the vendor concerned in public, just as the vendor has been so public in his pronouncements. But I do agree that if an allegation is made, then proof or the details should be provided, but I understand why @Habz786 has chosen to remain quiet.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
@koolaid79 if you are a man who is just and have courage then why dont you question injustice on both sides rather than just on here? I've made my position clear if im allowed to join Gaharu which i don't see why not (im still waiting for @bhanny who is a moderator to confirm why i cant join) then i will openly discuss this or if the vendor joins here, its pretty much as simple as that. These arent accusations as i have the 2 oils right next to me and so do others....whether they choose to speak out is up to them.

Ammar

True Ouddict
@Habz786,
Are you sure about the integrity of the distiller who sent you the sample for comparison assuming it is the same exact oil? I mean why would this distiller do that in the first place? Could be some sort of contract breakage between him and the accused vendor trying to use what was left and had from the costumed distillation of the vendor? The probability of these Facebook and WhatsUp distillers known for short time being honest is probably less than of a vendor who’s been trusted for years; they are not angels after all.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
@Ammar i dont have a sample but larger ammounts, its a long story and lets hope i get the chance to discuss it openly here or there. Its the exact same oil i would like to think i trust my nose but others who are well trained have agreed as i wanted to be on the safe side.

Ammar

True Ouddict
@Ammar i dont have a sample but larger ammounts, its a long story and lets hope i get the chance to discuss it openly here or there. Its the exact same oil i would like to think i trust my nose but others who are well trained have agreed as i wanted to be on the safe side.

OK sounds reasonable...

al qaswa

Oud Beginner
Salaams and greeting to all,

What a fantastic thread for new consumers to come across. I have just stepped in to the Oud market aspiring to make my first real purchase of 3gr.

Thanks to this forum, now I have across at least 10 other vendors.

Post 148 by AU came across straight from the heart, it was beautiful. I agree maybe we ought to do serious honest reviews of products and determine their correct price.

As indicated above, I am completely new to the Oud experience, having only tried the samples from one particular vendor, I have to say that my overall experience was one of disappointment and I felt the reviews in the majority of cases were over hyped with customers using terms like “fecalicous” in order to describe something that smells like poo – but excuse my ignorance, I am thinking, really!? You have to pay your hard earned money to smell like that?

I personally want to use Oud to smell nice when I go to the masjid. I do not want smell like an animal or poo when standing before my creator.

So to give an example there was one sample which prices for $1500, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

But the one that I really liked was (Malaysian Floral), but the price – if it is to last me a year would amount to about a £fiver a day/per swipe? I do not understand why that is; is it because it is a collectable item or prestige?

If someone could recommend a similar scent from a different vendor but in the reasonable price bracket, I would be interested.

So this vendor Mashallah, I am lead to believe has Oud in a reasonably priced brackets with similar core scents of Musk, Fruit, Camphor, Incense, available in the high end which is about five times the price, so as a prospective buyer, I am thinking, can that be 5 times better - silage, lasting, quality etc.

From my general observations I see that some of the customers having spent a staggering amount (perhaps impulse purchases) are now trying to re-sell everything on ebay and other forums but not attracting much interest, I could be mistaken but if that is the case, that would be very sad indeed.

Once again thank you all for your input, I have lots of reading and sampling before making my first significant purchase.

Regards

Ouddict

What a fantastic thread for new consumers to come across. I have just stepped in to the Oud market aspiring to make my first real purchase of 3gr.

Post 148 by AU came across straight from the heart, it was beautiful. I agree maybe we ought to do serious honest reviews of products and determine their correct price.

As indicated above, I am completely new to the Oud experience, having only tried the samples from one particular vendor, I have to say that my overall experience was one of disappointment and I felt the reviews in the majority of cases were over hyped with customers using terms like “fecalicous” in order to describe something that smells like poo – but excuse my ignorance, I am thinking, really!? You have to pay your hard earned money to smell like that?

I personally want to use Oud to smell nice when I go to the masjid. I do not want smell like an animal or poo when standing before my creator.

So to give an example there was one sample which prices for $1500, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

But the one that I really liked was (Malaysian Floral), but the price – if it is to last me a year would amount to about a £fiver a day/per swipe? I do not understand why that is; is it because it is a collectable item or prestige?

If someone could recommend a similar scent from a different vendor but in the reasonable price bracket, I would be interested.

So this vendor Mashallah, I am lead to believe has Oud in a reasonably priced brackets with similar core scents of Musk, Fruit, Camphor, Incense, available in the high end which is about five times the price, so as a prospective buyer, I am thinking, can that be 5 times better - silage, lasting, quality etc.

From my general observations I see that some of the customers having spent a staggering amount (perhaps impulse purchases) are now trying to re-sell everything on ebay and other forums but not attracting much interest, I could be mistaken but if that is the case, that would be very sad indeed.

Once again thank you all for your input, I have lots of reading and sampling before making my first significant purchase.

Regards

Welcome to Ouddict. You are definitely in the right place if you like to ask questions and think carefully before you buy.

Kesiro

Oudmeister

Regards

I get what you are saying. I just want to give you some advice as you state you are new to the oud market and experience. Obviously we were all in your shoes once as well.
Oud oil is a very interesting substance to which your affinity and liking develops over time. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried an oil which initially put me off. As my experience grew, many if not all of the oils I did not care for initially, became some of my favorites. This is especially true of the Hindi oils which are known for their 'barnyard' scent.

The whole point is that oud is not, IMO, like any other fragrance and scent which you either instantly like or not like. You will see what I mean as your experience grows.
Having said that, obviously you do not want to purchase an oil which just smells bad to you right off the bat.

I do not know which vendor(s) you are referring to, but if you can provide some specifics, I would be happy to give some suggestions.

@al qaswa
Welcome to Ouddict.
I advised a couple people that were new to oud by telling them not to fall in love with oud because it is an expensive hobby.
I also posted before that in my opinion all oud is expensive, even $50/3ml.
$50 can buy a lot of food to feed my family.
For those willing to accept the cost of oud, you embark upon a journey of discovery, you will find oils that you like, and some that you don't. Your acquired taste will change and your smelling ability will become more developed. You will start to understand how some oils can be of good quality, and the reason why they cost more. You have to be patient because the journey is measured in years. You are off to a good start because you are here in the Forum. Try to read through some older posts to gain more knowledge. You might have to sift through posts that are not very oudcentric, but with dilligence, you will find useful information.

Again, welcome:)

al qaswa

Oud Beginner
I cannot definitively say what is reasonable, but there are examples from connoisseurs in this very thread touching on what price they feel is reasonable for daily use and special occasions.

I can appreciate this can be subjective, however when I read opinions from vendors/oudicts and there appears to be a general consensus that the prices tagged by certain vendors are over inflated, what else is a lay customer supposed to think?

For daily use I am prepared to spend up to £500

I agree with Habz, trying samples first is the best way to go. Most sellers are aware of that now, and most offer samples/sample packs.
I would say that the pricing of Oud falls into 3 categories. Economy, Semi-Luxury, and Luxury.
Most of us fall under the first two categories, the Luxury category is reserved for those who have extra cash.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan

Regards

Smell like poe ? Really ? I knew harder barn haters who cannot swype other than barnest hindis :cool:

Ammar

True Ouddict

Welcome @al qaswa...
What is Malaysian Floral? It seems that I'm the only one who doesn't know about this oil??

Last edited: