Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
I noticed that Musk oils are black every were online, and actually that were my idea of deer Musk, Until I found this form and found that actually Musk macerations are mostly not black !

Another question: people knew that prophet Mohammed -salawat Allah allayh- passed at the streets of Madinah when they smelled musk in them, were the musk that good those days or was it the smell of Prophet Mohammed -allayh salawat Allah- him self ?

Last edited:

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
I noticed that Musk oils are black every were online, and actually that were my idea of deer Musk, Until I found this form and found that actually Musk macerations are mostly not black !

Another question: people knew that prophet Mohammed -salawat Allah allayh- passed at the streets of Madinah when they smelled musk in them, were the musk that good those days or was it the smell of Prophet Mohammed -allayh salawat Allah- him self ?

Genuine Musk oils should be a burnt Orange / burnt red color.

As for Medina and smelling Musk when walking by ... keep in mind how big it was 1400 years ago - and how aside from cooking and animals- there aren’t the ambient smells in the air or pollution like we have today. Put the scale size and the aromas in perspective.

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
Genuine Musk oils should be a burnt Orange / burnt red color.

As for Medina and smelling Musk when walking by ... keep in mind how big it was 1400 years ago - and how aside from cooking and animals- there aren’t the ambient smells in the air or pollution like we have today. Put the scale size and the aromas in perspective.

Yes I think that does play a role, but I think that they had a different way of making Musk Maceration / infusion or whatever they were really doing!

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
I came across cold enfleurage method
If you're familiar with it, it's used to extract the true scent of exotic flowers using animal fat, the question is could we do the same thing with musk as it emmets scents for years if i am right not just few days!!

DubOudh

Aster Oudh

Also brother...many modern musk macerations have ambergris added in. Depending on the type of ambergris (black, grey, brown or white) added, will also affect the mixture......
I bought a musk maceration from @Al Shareef Oudh recently and it is as @RisingPhoenix says burnt red/orange colour...
Add in ambergris and it will go much darker.....it may look black but if held up against a light...you can still see the grains in the bottle...

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
Also brother...many modern musk macerations have ambergris added in. Depending on the type of ambergris (black, grey, brown or white) added, will also affect the mixture......
I bought a musk maceration from @Al Shareef Oudh recently and it is as @RisingPhoenix says burnt red/orange colour...
Add in ambergris and it will go much darker.....it may look black but if held up against a light...you can still see the grains in the bottle...
That's amazing every blend has it's own heart, but musk it's the soul.

Ersel

Stoudent
Last year a friend upon seeing me at a company said how he knew I arrived on that day ( or was close by ) but couldn't find me. He knew because he could smell "something" in the shared kitchen where I passed by, but wasn't at the time :D . That something was for a special occasion, 2-3 swipes of now sold out habz's oud oil, and maybe layered with musk. Applied not too long before.

I don't think they had some much more advanced methods, but they could simply have used more.

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
Hhhhhh that actually how I knew that my father came home before me I always smell his fragrance at the elevator, I thank the quantity also played a big role too, hhhhhh but I still think there is something missing!

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
Maybe some future experiments would answer this question...
It would be interesting to find something unusual and exclusive and maybe a little bit explosive, if you know what I mean

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Maybe some future experiments would answer this question...
It would be interesting to find something unusual and exclusive and maybe a little bit explosive, if you know what I mean
I think the Prophet's (saws) use of Musk and Ambergris may explain it...Ambergris acts as a fixative....and its use as said had been known for many generations.....

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
I think the Prophet's (saws) use of Musk and Ambergris may explain it...Ambergris acts as a fixative....and its use as said had been known for many generations.....
That sounds reasonable, but the talk is meaning less without some experiments there are some questions on mind I could already tell it won't be answered until it's done.
when I surfed the the internet a gap inside actually became larger; may allah be in help inshaa'allah.
subhanallah he knows but we don't may allah give us the knowledge allhamedullah.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Siberian Musk Maceration: Orange/ Burnt orange/ Burnt red
Mongolian Musk Maceration: Orange/ Burnt orange
Tibetan Musk Maceration: Orange
Kashmiri Musk Maceration: Light shade of orange

So far as my experience goes, Kashmiri Musk maceration reflects dull light colour as compared to the colour I observed in the maceration oils of other Musk grains.

Black musk maceration has never been the colour of any musk maceration I prepared on my own.

Ahmed S

Oud Beginner
I think the base oil you are using plays a big role. I have some darker vintage Tongan sandalwood mixed with musk and ambergris and it’s so black even with a torch and that happened within 1-2 days of making the blend. I have sandalwood mixed with musk from Ensar and it’s a darker yellow/orange tint. I was also gifted a private-blend ghaliyah made from Ben oil and macerated for a year (made in accordance to the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammed صلى الله عليه وسلم) with ambergris and musk and it’s thick and very black, really animalic. The ratio of musk and ambergris also makes a difference.

Ambergris really makes a big difference when to it comes to the colour regardless of which colour and region used (black, brown, grey). Some people use water baths that can also play a factor in the short term. Some blends have the musk filtered early so they can be sold and can be lighter in colour (but a light musk blend isn’t an indication of inferior quality at all).

I’m not sure if there is any difference between using Siberian/Tibetan/Kashmiri musk and it’s effects on the final colour.

[mention]Rai Munir [/mention]would be able to share his expertise as he makes many blends and has used different ingredients in his macerations.

Ahmed S

Oud Beginner

So far as my experience goes, Kashmiri Musk maceration reflects dull light colour as compared to the colour I observed in the maceration oils of other Musk grains.

Black musk maceration has never been the colour of any musk maceration I prepared on my own.

Rai you are the man. It’s must be the ambergris that makes it so dark. I can imagine some Etsy/ebay vendors add it to make it animalic and make it darker and attract unaware customers.

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
I think the base oil you are using plays a big role. I have some darker vintage Tongan sandalwood mixed with musk and ambergris and it’s so black even with a torch and that happened within 1-2 days of making the blend. I have sandalwood mixed with musk from Ensar and it’s a darker yellow/orange tint. I was also gifted a private-blend ghaliyah made from Ben oil and macerated for a year (made in accordance to the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammed صلى الله عليه وسلم) with ambergris and musk and it’s thick and very black, really animalic. The ratio of musk and ambergris also makes a difference.

Ambergris really makes a big difference when to it comes to the colour regardless of which colour and region used (black, brown, grey). Some people use water baths that can also play a factor in the short term. Some blends have the musk filtered early so they can be sold and can be lighter in colour (but a light musk blend isn’t an indication of inferior quality at all).

I’m not sure if there is any difference between using Siberian/Tibetan/Kashmiri musk and it’s effects on the final colour.

[mention]Rai Munir [/mention]would be able to share his expertise as he makes many blends and has used different ingredients in his macerations.
Interesting so the musk of sunnah were macerated and heated with ambergris as brother duboudh hinted mmm.
Actually every thing in a tola bottle and its color is black would be considered musk even if dosen't contain musk at all.
Actually that was my idea until I found about real deer musk couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust

Brother rai I think in the maceration room every individual has his own corner if you know what I mean.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
The right one is Tibetan and Siberian Musk maceration, and the left one is Kashmiri Musk and Ambergris maceration:

IMG20210123003117.jpg

Ahmed S

Oud Beginner
Interesting so the musk of sunnah were macerated and heated with ambergris as brother duboud hinted mmm.
Actually every thing in a tola bottle and its color is black would be considered musk even if dosen't contain musk at all.
Actually that was my idea until I found about real deer musk couple of years ago.

From what I have been taught the private blend of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was a mixture of Musk and Ambergris (ratio unknown) and then left to macerate for one whole year before use. Everyone should try it some time to gain reward of this sunnah. Try get hold of some real musk there are some vendors here like Imperial Oud or Sibermusk and Ambergris from Hamza at the Attar Store. You would need a base oil like sandalwood or Ben oil. Mix these ingredients and leave it for a year. Modern day Ghaliyah have rose, camphor, saffron as well as high quality Malaysian or Indian oud oils mixed into these macerations but this requires some skill and ingredient quantity and ratios are closely guarded secrets.

If you are interested in fragrances of the Prophet Muhammed صلى الله عليه وسلم the Greensville Trust released a really good video on this I’ll attach a link below...it’s a two part video.

[emoji120]

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Tibetan musk on the left. Kashmiri musk on the right. Both one year macerating in Mysore Sandalwood.
The blue top bottle is 10mls Mysore...3.5gms Siberian Musk and 1.5gms Mongolian Musk. And small amount of ambergris...perhaps .5grm
About 3 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_214136~2.jpg
    IMG_20210122_214136~2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20201214_222104~2.jpg
    IMG_20201214_222104~2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 175