Luigi

Just Arrived
Hello Everybody

My name is Luigi and I am new to the forum. I got very interested in essential oils ever since I bought my first Oud oil in London from a store called: Arabian Oud. I thought to myself: "These oils are 100% natural, as nature intended, they are healthy, last much longer than a perfume, they smell much better".

I fell in love with it. Then as my interested grew, I did some research and I realized that throughout the Bible & other historical/religious books, spices & oils & fragrances were being traded and imported from all over the world to be used by Kings.

Then I wondered why is it that in the Middle East & particularly the Arab countries they keep these traditions that are so beautiful, healthy & pure of making & sourcing natural oils & ordinary people can buy them & enjoy them, and in the West/Europe we still have Eau de Toilette/Parfum, full of chemical agents that make you cough, irritates your skin, doesn't last as long and in the worst case scenario it can harm you.

I am here to learn as much as I can about these oils if you could help me understand more about it.

1. All the oils sourced and sold in Arabian Oud stores, by philosphy (not necessarily in practice), are 100% pure? For example, Agarwood, Frankincense, Sandalwood, Rose Oil, Lilac Oil, Bergamot Oil, etc.

2. I know Agarwood Oil can be sold as it is, by itself, independently. Is this the case for the rest of the oils? Can you, for example, sell pure Rose oil and use one or two drops on you to smell like roses? Is this a thing?

3. What is the process of blending oils? For example, if you wanted to blend Sandalwood oil with Rose Oil to create a beautiful perfume (nothing else added, just two mixtures of diffferent oils that's it), do you just add them in the same container and "shake" them until they're blended? And that's how you blend & mix oils?

4. I know Agarwood Oil can be sold as it is, in its raw oily form. Is this the case for the rest of the oils? Can you, for example, sell pure Rose oil and use one or two drops on you to smell like roses? Is this a thing?

5. Is there a list of "blending recipes" that one has to follow in order to mix essential oils? If there is one, where can I find it?

6. What is the best type of container to keep these oils in: Aluminum, Glass, Metal or Plastic? I'm talking about long term storage.

7. I noticed they are quite expensive, but I think they're totally worth it. Putting aside what I think though, do people buy them despite them being so expensive? Is it worth for them?

Thank you very much!

Rai Munir

Musk Man
@Luigi
6. Sturdy glass bottle or glass v vial
7. Yes, majority of artisanal oils are worth the price. Those who are top to toe into Agarwood oils, majority of Oud oils are a must whatever the price is. Next depends upon one's definition of the expression 'worth the price'.

Proust Madeleine

True Ouddict
Hello Luigi-

welcome.

1. I believe Arabian Oud sells both naturals and synthetics. Their perfumes use synthetics as well as some of their oils but I believe they also sell pure ouds. At least they used to. I haven’t been in some time. As far as all natural Attars, I can’t say one way or the other. The Attars that I’ve had from their stores have all had synthetic boosters.

2. yes, you can buy pure rose oil and pure jasmine etc. though many of them may smell differently than you might expect, especially if you’re used to the flowers themselves or their use in perfumery(often florals are boosted with molecules found from reconstituted head-space technology and isolates or synthetics to smell “real” as the absolutes and concretes and distilled oils have their own unique properties that don’t necessarily smell of the flower, as smelled “on the vine”).

3. There are many maceration and co-distillation techniques, some which are fairly easy to try and some which take decades to master. The “easiest” route is to buy an all natural Attar which has been designed by a skilled artist. Such as the vendors here, on this board, as well as others.