Attar Oudh

Oud Fan
Hi guys... Just sharing my thoughts from the limited experience...

Received the new release samples from Agar Aura in the evening today.. Tried all four n totally disappointed with the juices. Starting from the cheapest aroma that I can expect from an Artisanal brand is Oud Lobani - In the opening it has that Frankincense oil note but later on simply woody-sweet-oud smell that I mostly get from small retailers in Qatar.. other Blends r not impressive enough for the prices at which they r offered and when u compare them with fellow artisanal brands like Areejledore, Bortnikoff n Agarwood Assam ( these only I tried).

The only one I liked is Agar Attar which also doesn't stand for the price.. Not much experienced to describe notes of perfumes but I could smell spices like Black pepper n cinnamon with some sort of Oud.

I hope Mr. Taha somewhere understand this n lower the prices before final release as there r many buyers who trust such artisanal brands n go for Blind buys..

Sorry if m starting a new thread on same topic.. but that's what I felt after trying these blends.[WIKI][/WIKI]

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_213733.jpg
    IMG_20201022_213733.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 229

Ryan

Oud Beginner
So far the only one that i haven't tried is Oud Lubani but I will wear it tomorrow, but I agree with you that they have been pretty underwhelming. The only one that I quite like is Neriko (the sweet and spiced opening was nice but short lived for me) but its not really worth purchasing a whole bottle meanwhile I didn't really enjoy Agar Attar as I find it medicinal so far.

I fell in love with my Al-Jazzab at the first spray and I will give these samples more tries as I found for me it takes time to understand and appreciate fragrances in general but it's looking likely at the moment that I will give this release a miss, especially as they are pretty pricey like you mentioned.

Mustafa

True Ouddict
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I haven't tried my samples yet. May be next week God willing. However, without even trying them, I am reluctant to spend US$500 on a 20/25ml spray.

Attar Oudh

Oud Fan
So far the only one that i haven't tried is Oud Lubani but I will wear it tomorrow, but I agree with you that they have been pretty underwhelming. The only one that I quite like is Neriko (the sweet and spiced opening was nice but short lived for me) but its not really worth purchasing a whole bottle meanwhile I didn't really enjoy Agar Attar as I find it medicinal so far.

I fell in love with my Al-Jazzab at the first spray and I will give these samples more tries as I found for me it takes time to understand and appreciate fragrances in general but it's looking likely at the moment that I will give this release a miss, especially as they are pretty pricey like you mentioned.
Yes Ryan.. Agar attar has some medicinal vibes but it's the only one that lives longest on skin along with bit weird Oud Lobani. I hope the first release wasn't that disappointing and that's the reason for worry too ... Coz people might think it as good as first one n go for blind buys.

Last edited:

britishmisk

Oud Fan
I'm quite surprised you guys didn't like them. I thought they were great scents, I'm considering buying a full bottle of Agar Parisien. To me it smells like what Aventus would have smelt like if it were made in the heyday of French perfumery with naturals rather than synthetics.

Averroes

True Ouddict
As I pointed out in my second post yesterday on the Attar/Mukhallat thread, this second series (I cannot speak for the first) has one standout for me: AA Agar Attar. But, as beautiful and original an chypre-oriental scent as it is, sillage is abysmal. It has more of the profile of a personal scent than a statement-maker. Having followed SPA since the beginning—a very talented blender of attars in his own right—I can safely say there is maybe still much to be learned on Taha’s part of what people expect in this particular province of fragrances. Also, separately, I question spray bottles for attars/oils.

Attar Oudh

Oud Fan
I'm quite surprised you guys didn't like them. I thought they were great scents, I'm considering buying a full bottle of Agar Parisien. To me it smells like what Aventus would have smelt like if it were made in the heyday of French perfumery with naturals rather than synthetics.
May b you r right.. as it smells delicious but in this case I would prefer Agarwood Assam's rising Mysore being bright n uplifting scent at very affordable price not to forget.
Here why I am upset is for the price .. although he is making a good perfume but it's not that outstanding to b priced 300+ for 25ml!!

Attar Oudh

Oud Fan
As I pointed out in my second post yesterday on the Attar/Mukhallat thread, this second series (I cannot speak for the first) has one standout for me: AA Agar Attar. But, as beautiful and original an chypre-oriental scent as it is, sillage is abysmal. It has more of the profile of a personal scent than a statement-maker. Having followed SPA since the beginning—a very talented blender of attars in his own right—I can safely say there is maybe still much to be learned on Taha’s part of what people expect in this particular province of fragrances. Also, separately, I question spray bottles for attars/oils.
Yes.. u r right Agar Attar is the only one out of four which I liked the most.. but m not sure again does that price justify for the aroma.. when u have Russian Adam, Bortnikoff, Ensar n Zakir selling at much lower prices with exceptional quality of materials n blending.

britishmisk

Oud Fan
It comes down to personal taste. For example I haven't liked anything I've tried from Sultan, and I tried the popular ones that were around last year or so. The thread on AA Kham Lao goes to show how different everyone's opinions (particularly on Taha's work) are.

Himanshu Sharma

True Ouddict
First impressions:

Agar Parisien: Good oriental chypre vibe. Completely natural smelling. No, chaotic notes. I loved it from top to drydown. This is my favorite in this collection.
Edit1: I am getting nice agarwood in the dry-down. Also, hints of brown ambergris. Ambergris and oud smell heavenly together.

Agar Attar: Underwhelming to me. Medicinal skeleton. I hate the sweet raspberry type drydown. I have a bottle of Kinam attar. Perhaps, that set the bar very high for me.

Neriko: The only thing I got is some kind of Santal oud blend. The dry donw for me was sandalwood dominant. Like, very high quality Mysore. This is my second favorite from this collection.

Oud Lubani: Neat luban at the top. Limey incense note.

To sum it all up, it was quite disenchanting for me. I had high hopes. If I have money, I would perhaps go for Agar Parisien. None of the other ones are interesting for me at this point.
Something noteworthy is that they may be quite complex and my nose is not able to discern any notes at the first try. Also, the sample sprayers work different than full fledged bottles.

Here, the far-reaching question is, does using "rare" ingredients automatically makes your perfume worth 500$+ ?
I understand, the ingredients Taha uses are of apex quality and commend respect. But, I was expecting a bit more play.

Last edited:

Ryan

Oud Beginner
First impressions:

Agar Parisien: Good oriental chypre vibe. Completely natural smelling. No, chaotic notes. I loved it from top to drydown. This is my favorite in this collection.

Agar Attar: Underwhelming to me. Medicinal skeleton. I hate the sweet raspberry type drydown. I have a bottle of Kinam attar. Perhaps, that set the bar very high for me.

Neriko: The only thing I got is some kind of Santal oud blend. The dry donw for me was sandalwood dominant. Like, very high quality Mysore. This is my second favorite from this collection.

Oud Lubani: Neat luban at the top. Limey incense note.

To sum it all up, it was quite disenchanting for me. I had high hopes. If I have money, I would perhaps go for Agar Parisien. None of the other ones are interesting for me at this point.
Something noteworthy is that they may be quite complex and my nose is not able to discern any notes at the first try. Also, the sample sprayers work different than full fledged bottles.

Here, the far-reaching question is, does using "rare" ingredients automatically makes your perfume worth 500$+ ?
I understand, the ingredients Taha uses are of apex quality and commend respect. But, I was expecting a bit more play.

I agree pretty much with your summary of the perfumes, although I kind of wish the oak moss was a little more toned down in Agar Parisien but that's just me. The dry down is quite lovely in Neriko as well.

Also could you describe what Kinam attar is like as I missed out on getting one

Himanshu Sharma

True Ouddict
I agree pretty much with your summary of the perfumes, although I kind of wish the oak moss was a little more toned down in Agar Parisien but that's just me. The dry down is quite lovely in Neriko as well.

Also could you describe what Kinam attar is like as I missed out on getting one

Here's something I wrote a couple weeks ago. Also, I felt like agar attar and kinam attar share a of ingredients that constitute that agarwood accord.
Kinam attar is offbeat. It is divergent from other sprays and attars I have smelt, so far. It’s not best in the league. It belongs to a different league. This league is where wise men ruminate, wearing Kinam malas, enjoying rarest of the Oolongs.

Starts off with slightly medicinal and bitter notes like something from very high grade Sinesis oil. Settles down on skin like the delicate veil made from most exquisite see through silk. This is when, Kinam attar takes you on an odyssey to a far-off land. A pilgrimage, a cosmic manifestation or a super dimension. Call it whatever you want.

I have no clue what ingredients or accords have been used in this perfume. I get something different, each time I spray it. I get the subtle spiciness of Cinnamon, somewhere in heart I smell the coolness of Fennel, and if I take a deep sniff, I get almost minty notes of Borneol. I would describe it as a woody spicy incense perfume.

There is a very delightful parallel that I draw every time I sniff it. If you take a piece of aged mahagony or teak and sand it with coarse sanding paper, you smell fresh resin and clean wood. I get that note. It is hard to describe. Perhaps, resin coming out of a wounded teak tree would smell like it.

Another time it threw me in another dimension and reminded me of one of the best days of my life. It was when I went truffle hunting. Accompanying me was my wife’s dad and his wisdom. After you burrow out then truffles and smell the soil. This perfume gives off that damp, earthy, forest floor impression.

It simply captures all the notes that I love. Sweet, spicy, woody, incense. All the fixins’ are here.

I was fortuitous enough to be able to buy it. I feel so content that I have this bottle in my possession. It’s something to cherish. I’ll revere it and treasure it. I will wear it only when I think I deserve to wear this scent. This perfume commands that. Applause for Taha. Keep creating such wonders. This was my first from Agar Aura. The first of many. I love it.

IntheRedwoods

True Ouddict
Not this time. I am glad I got Kinam Attar, but was a bit bummed the bottle leaked. I may get one bottle from the 2nd set, but that’s it.

The only full set Ive bought at one time was ALD’s last set. I sampled all first, and love each one, and somehow found that 15 minute early set release window on the site that Adam honored.

Himanshu Sharma

True Ouddict
One can buy individual bottles too, now. I am not buying any from this release. I am loving Neriko and dry down of Agar Parisien more and more with time, but not enough to pull the trigger.

Mustafa

True Ouddict
I just tried my samples today. Unfortunately didn't click with me. I had really high hopes. I think I am not from among the target audiance for this release. I have no doubt about the quality of the ingrediants. However, I trust my nose to choose my perfumes.

Imran786

Oud-Osmosis
Hi guys,

As someone who loved the oil version of Oud Lubani how does the spray compare? Will I be disappointed?