dave999

Oud Fan
Was reading over the weekend and came across something on the Institue of Agarwood site http://www.agarwood.hk/IOA/agarwood.htm -
Tree species capable of producing agarwood:

* Thymelaeaceae: Majority of tress that produce agarwood belong to the genus Aquilaria, which mainly grow in regions in South China, Vietnam , Cambodia , Lao, Vietname, Malysia , Thailand , Burma , India and Indonesia.
* Burseraceae: Trees in the Burseraceae family that can form agarwood mainly grow in central South America.
* Lauraceae: Trees in the Lauraceae family that can form agarwood mainly grow in central South America.
* Euphorbiaceae: Trees in the Euphorbiaceae family that can form agarwood are mainly distributed in the tropics.

The names above are Families. In the biologic categorization, Families contain Genera which contain species.
In the Thymelaeaceae family, there are several Aquilaria * species, Gyrinops * (EO Green Papua), and Aetoxylon (Eaglewood), and a couple dozen more genera. Burseraceae contains Boswellia * (Frankincense), Commiphora * (Myrrh), Burserea (Palo Santo), and several others. I noted Cinnamon and Sassafras in the Lauraceae family. Of the (maybe 100) genera of trees, I only took a cursory look.

Question comes to mind about the possibilities. I was looking at Palo Santo and noted the conditions for harvest - died of natural causes and fallen on the ground - should have aged on the ground between 4 and 10 years. I also have noted that Palo Santo sticks often have darker stripes of resin. Also, the more reputable sellers seem to have more resinous wood, whereas there is lots of white wood at the mainstream shops. Couldn't help but notice the resemblance to agarwood.

Also wondering about possible alternative ouds that are not yet known.