• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Why Do Some Oud's Smell Like Petroleum Or Diesel?

Mr.P

Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist
You need a lot of material - enough to produce enough oil to coat the sides of the separator funnel and condenser and still extra to form a layer on top of the water.

If you distill a few tola of oil, not a problem but if you are trying for just a few grams you will lose a high percentage to just sticking to the walls of glassware, etc.

Also oud requires a long distillation especially if at ambient pressure. You might have to have 48 - 72 hours free to focus on maintaining heat, refilling water, keeping the pump going and condenser operating properly, etc. it is work and requires expertise, a lot of material, and a lot of time.

Chiheisen_Horizon

Oud Beginner
You need a lot of material - enough to produce enough oil to coat the sides of the separator funnel and condenser and still extra to form a layer on top of the water.

If you distill a few tola of oil, not a problem but if you are trying for just a few grams you will lose a high percentage to just sticking to the walls of glassware, etc.

Also oud requires a long distillation especially if at ambient pressure. You might have to have 48 - 72 hours free to focus on maintaining heat, refilling water, keeping the pump going and condenser operating properly, etc. it is work and requires expertise, a lot of material, and a lot of time.
i am aware of that , but for that price its possible to obtain the materials. then again, really its just a suggestion.

humbll

Hopelessly Addicted to Oud
Hi, back in September 2013 I bought a sampler pack of Ensars premium oils, one of which was called Maroke 2004. When I swiped this oil I INSTANTLY fell in love with the "fuelish" topnote. I have never smelled anything so heavenly. I still have a small amount of this oil in the sample vial, it is one of my most treasured possessions. I dare not swipe it anymore for fear of depleting it. All I do with it is open the vial and sniff. I regrettably was never able to afford to buy a bottle at that time, so I make do with the sample vial. I recently contacted Adam Colburn, one of Ensars team members, and told him of my love affair with the Maroke sample due to that fuel smelling top note, and he suggested I would probably enjoy Aroké Roshi. Rather than just a sample I blindly purchased a 3 gram bottle, which I am eagerly anticipating to be delivered on Monday. I would be happy to know the names and vendors of other ouds with a similar topnote as the Maroke 2004, if you care to share :)

Rai Munir

Musk Man
[email protected], pleased to read your post that reflects your passion for Merauke.

If that particular feel that you experienced in Merauke 04 is being craved for, I don't think that is in Aroke Roshi. It is more Walla Patta and raw and unripe crassana and excessively sweet oil, in my opinion. Syed Ascent by AA is a stunning Merauke, though gone. And Jannah by ASO is a beautiful Merauke, with a very prominent Merauke profile.

Pureoud1

Oud Beginner
I've noticed lately that many of the more recent OUD's I've bought, the majority smell at some point smell like gasoline. I am wondering why? I've never seen it mentioned in the description.
I bought recently a legend Sample from Ensar oud a and I was also surprise to smell this high petroleum on my skin such that I was really scare that if there was a fire my skin will goes off. I’m not trying to be dramatic but that’s the constat I made. The oil was smelling like petroleum. That’s was Borneo 50K. The oil smell sweet mix the petroleum smell it’s really confusing. Can someone please elaborate.

Last edited:

Pureoud1

Oud Beginner
I bought recently a legend sample in which Borneo 50K a sweet beautiful scent in background I smelled petroleum yes I smelled petroleum those who has very high sensitive nose will notice this . I was wandering why that’s smell . All of the sample was good. I sent an email to Adam from Ensar but I did not get any reply yet. So I wanted to see if someone has the same experience like me and I was shocked to see. A petroleum in an oud oil mean to be pure without any chemical in it bring a lot of questions. I’m not trying to Bach anyone. I mentioned Adam oil because that’s the place the oil is from. Thank you

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
This note is not unusual in Borneo oils - and I think for the most part starts "going away" after you've smelled more oils.

If you read my first few posts ever on this forum, i had a post about this same note - one I experienced in a cambodi oil. Now, going back to that same oil, I no longer smell petrol at all - and it's almost confusing to me how I smelled it so strongly early on in my oud love affair.

A lot of non-soak high frequency oils are so top note heavy and terpene rich that it can confuse the brain - and sometimes a strong camphor note for example could be confused with petrol.

Pureoud1

Oud Beginner
I have been contact by Ensar oud (Adam )and the reason he states is almost the same you mentioned Andrew Salkin thanks again. I order kinam rouge, oud Ahmad white.

Last edited:

Pureoud1

Oud Beginner
EO Oudh oil are good very nice smell scent. But they are sometimes sweet. One thing I will say it’s more for westerners I don’t the reel connoisseur will buy EO Oudh and with the price tag. The man has, I will say 75% or 80% person of Oudh oil and the rest are other essential oil that which is great. I’m not bashing anyone. Or I come to believe the goods days of EO are gone now... and the business of pure Oudh is very difficult to keep ...

Lorenz_156

Oud Fan
Which Borneo has the most petrol/gasoline/kerosene like smell to it? I am looking for a Mint, Vanilla, Cinnamon and Petrol bomb !
Hope someone can help

TIA

JimiKofski

Oud Beginner
For me smells TRAT from RBO really like cinnamon, for first didn't believed its pure oud,

but i think its good quality stuff.

Had plantaged oud wood from vietnam it have a lot of similarites with this oud oil for me.

But petrol? Never had thoughts like this. Sounds shoud order Borneo 50k

Last edited: