• Fair

Votes: 45 25.7%
  • Cheap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Way too cheap

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I received an email from ensaroud,
those who are on their mailing list should’ve received the same.

<<<<<I've decided to take a step back from micro-managing everything and focus on the production front in order to keep up my game with quality oud and rough up some feathers with all the musks and natural perfumes while I'm at it.

To this end, we created Zaza.Haus in collaboration with a tightknit group of fellow frag lovers who share my passion for quality oud and niche perfumes and aromatics. With the team at Zaza.Haus, I hope to continue sharing the craziest smelling rarities with you, and still stay true to the standard of quality my OCD demands.>>>>>

Rai Munir

Musk Man

<<<<<I've decided to take a step back from micro-managing everything and focus on the production front in order to keep up my game with quality oud and rough up some feathers with all the musks and natural perfumes while I'm at it.

To this end, we created Zaza.Haus in collaboration with a tightknit group of fellow frag lovers who share my passion for quality oud and niche perfumes and aromatics. With the team at Zaza.Haus, I hope to continue sharing the craziest smelling rarities with you, and still stay true to the standard of quality my OCD demands.>>>>>
May it flourish. Amen!

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan

Ahh - that explains the language. Doesn’t explain the wrong color of the oil, though.

*EDIT : looking back at the website - before all it was showing me was a black bottle. Now I see a reddish oil. The color of that red would fit. I think I was just seeing the grains before for some reason. So - could be legit :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Do you sell samples or small amounts like 1/4 tola or tola?

Sorry Mr P, I had to delete that post as the guy thinks it’s ok to spam forum boards with sales posts. It’s not ok and it’s against the rules.

AngelicaOud

Oud Fan
I feel like they are deserving of the price due to the hard work it takes to acquire them and the amount of knowledge and artistry it takes to create. As a person buying them and a newbie it kind of sucks to pay for samples $200-$500 to get something u may hate. Sometimes you get a winner sometimes you don't. It's all depending on personal preference. It's kind of like gambling if you like higher priced ouds. It's not the fault of the person that sets the price on their art. It's more the fault of the person with the expensive taste. haha

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
As an artist by trade, I feel whatever someone values their product at is what it should be. If I can afford it great. If I can’t that’s okay. I don’t believe the consumer should have any say on what the price of something be. If we like it then we figure out a way to buy it. I feel pushing for something to be cheaper will degrade the integrity of the craft over time.

Bigboy

True Ouddict
"good deal" and "fair price" , as i use them,, for most ONLY relates to what you get for what you pay. We can't see how much a vendors makes from selling an oil and think just because an oil is outrageously expensive its a bad deal amd the seller is fleecing us. That unfairly assumes that the cost of making or aquireing and then selling the oil is the end all be all of profit margins and that is absolutely NOT the case. Most, if not all of us have little idea of what our vendors cost to run a business us....some of those costs, like ageing where an oil sits on your shelf for 5-10 years , are hard to pin down. Im not saying that to the end user the oil may not be expensive, just that we should all remember there is a lot more costs involved with running an oud business than just the production costs. Just my opinion based on what I have learned over the years. Take it or leave it.

Some oils , irrespective of price (cheap or expensive ) are a fantastic deal and some are NOT. For example, some of the best deals are on SOME of the most expensive oils. If its distilled from sinking grade or near 100% sinking grade its TREMENDOUSLY costly for the distiller. Just think about the cost of sinking grade wood which is at an all time high (aside from one or two regions who are still not cheap) itcan go from, what is it these days $13/15 to $45?(i heard one guy was selling laosi sinkers for $75/g!) Even if the distiller picked that up at half off or a little better your still talking 6 or 7 grand to 20 something grand per kilo....and you can be pretty certain that to kick out s few tolas(sometimes only a few grams!) Your looking at several kilos of wood). At the end if the day only the cook knows the yeild but in any case its a tremendous financial gamble. You can theoretically do an average best to worst yeild ratio of several tola to several grams (that REALLY happens!) And get an idea of the best /worst case price of cost....but again none of this factors in SO many other expenses. I feel you get a better "deal ", if thats what your after, more often with the expensesive oil is because the oils net the seller the least...the only exception to that is when you have your own hunters that find some sick wood for you and you pay a fixed salery...but thats like finding a treasure at the end if a rainbow and selling it off on the cheap because you found it. Thats awfully charitable of you and you should probably go work for a NFP rather than run a FPO.

Point is that to apply a generalization of whether oils prices are "fair " , cheap, or
"Way overpriced " is quite difficult for me personally because in my mind from my knowledge "fair" and cheap or overpriced represent very different aspects of the cost of oud oils. For example hypothetically You could have a $100 bottle of oud be unfair if profit after all expenses is only $99. But a $4000 oil where the profit after all expenses is $500 would be very different. I personally would not throw $thousands of thousands upon thousands of $ into an investment with NO:
1. Trend indicators
2 . Mean reversion indicators
3. RSIs
4. Momentum indicators
5. Volume indicators

At least not any more!
Kudos for having the cahones to take the risk to those that do!

Last edited:

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
It poses a dilemma for some. If you are not aware of Oudh...then it may well look pricey for a 1/4 tola.

I compare it this way. I can buy a Native American Style Flute or I can buy A Native American Flute. My choice...my money. Many Style flutes are perfectly sounding instruments and expensive.
However my choice is the traditional art form that goes way, back and has many aspects to its manufacture you can not get from non native manufactured instrument. So I am willing to pay extra for the extra skill and tradition...but that is me.
Oudh, I see the same way. I have some quiet inexpensive Oudh which I were for work and are very pleasent. Then I have some quite expensive Oudh which I can get excited by...by merely deciding to open the tola and have a deep in take of its artesenal aroma.
Cheap/expensive is a relative term.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
However, with the recent turn of events globally...I think some prices may become unrealistic for the market in Oudh to digest. I note that prices need to be lowered or else many shall stay unsold. I understand that some are also distress sellers in the market. But merely pricing high will not mean it is expensive, if it remains unsold for weeks or even months. The market is changing or at least that appears to be the view for now.

Last edited:

Leander

True Ouddict
I am new to Oud, and therefore wholly unqualified to answer the question about cost of Oud oils. I DO understand the idea of rarity though. Still the prices of some that I have seen are breathtaking. My biggest concern is not whether they are worth it. A thing is only worth what you are willing to pay. My real concern, is authenticity. Unless you went to the tree and harvested it, or watched it done, h0w do you know?

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
I am new to Oud, and therefore wholly unqualified to answer the question about cost of Oud oils. I DO understand the idea of rarity though. Still the prices of some that I have seen are breathtaking. My biggest concern is not whether they are worth it. A thing is only worth what you are willing to pay. My real concern, is authenticity. Unless you went to the tree and harvested it, or watched it done, h0w do you know?

Welcome to the club :)

In short - this is what Ouddict is for. Shopping with one of the vendors here is about as good of a guarantee of authenticity as it gets

KodoKing

True Ouddict
Welcome @Leander to the Community!

For me, oils are a lot of fun - there are so many regions to explore, being new right now is such a treat! Enjoy the adventure - its always nice to try some samples to get things going so you can explore your own preferences. There is a wealth of information in the archives here - various reviews of oils and woods - Burn and Oud of the day is an easy place to start ;-) (I would start with most recent and work backwards)

Happy (Oud) Hunting!

Leander

True Ouddict
Welcome @Leander to the Community!

For me, oils are a lot of fun - there are so many regions to explore, being new right now is such a treat! Enjoy the adventure - its always nice to try some samples to get things going so you can explore your own preferences. There is a wealth of information in the archives here - various reviews of oils and woods - Burn and Oud of the day is an easy place to start ;-) (I would start with most recent and work backwards)

Happy (Oud) Hunting!

Thank you! I will check that out!