Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
“These pieces were all sinking back in the day but they do not sink anymore”

That’s kind of unusual - wonder why they lost density? had no idea that could happen (unless wood was water logged I guess).
This is very common in the Oudh world, many people get caught out by this, and also it is indicative of lighter Oudh. Denser oudhs don't do this. That is why when buying Oudh, one must be sure it is 100% dry.

zahir

Ouducation Student
“These pieces were all sinking back in the day but they do not sink anymore”

That’s kind of unusual - wonder why they lost density? had no idea that could happen (unless wood was water logged I guess).
Fresh wood = more water content. Hence heavier. Once the water evaporates, only then should they be sink tested.

language scent

True Woodict
did they also look different when they were sinking? I am asking so to understand if it is the resin that was more spread out and then concentrated into specific spots leaving more wood fiber exposed to allow float. like a body that will float with floats and sink without them. of course i dont know how resin reacts to time within the wood fibers when fresh. i dont know if the resin doesnt change place or if it does in time as the wood cures. this happens to many plants. if this is not the case then it could be just that they had more hydrosol within when they were extracted from the bark and in time it evaporated.