Mr.P

oud<3er
“Come on @Mr.P, I'm sure you have more to contribute than that :)

Actually I don’t have more to contribute than that. I have been looking through the thread and my brain is just having a hard time engaging... I haven’t tried very hard though. Seems like some predictable confusion about the fact that stuff gets mixed up and terminology may not be precise combined with some verbal sparring. That’s old news and I’ve got nothing to add. Other than the fact that you would say “one species” and “two species” to be grammatically correct. Not that it matters that much, but if one is going to write about such things authoritatively it just looks better if you get the grammar straight, so I offered the one meaningful comment I possibly can to a thread like this. I appreciate the fact that you are trying to sort things out and get things clear from the consumer perspective , by the way. I remain interested in understanding to what degree regional profiles reflect biology versus human methodologies of extraction. But things haven’t really gotten clear so far

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
And I don’t think we will get much farther. Industry is young. With all due respect, the aesthetic of the majority on the forum is uniform and overall knowledge of all of us is little and there is so much BS to comb thru and so much politics etc. is like swimming in mud. We try though. We all do. Being trailblazers is not easy. We all love oud and even if we get closer by one inch to the truth each year, I am happy to have gone down as one that tried. Having said that How I wish we had Chinese Japanese French and fortunate old timer ME oud heads and more south East Asians on this forum to tell us about their take their vision their approach and their understandings.

Last edited:

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
I too have read through the discussions but don't feel that I can contribute anything, being a newcomer still, and unable to form the words to describe my experience with ouds. I'm not well versed in a multitude of smells to draw the note comparisons to. But, it will come.

Regarding regional smells then yes, there is a general feel to each region that I'm starting to pick up on based on oils labelled as from that reason, but it's obviously more complex than that, with the mixed woods as Taha points out . So I am reading this thread with an open mind hoping to take in everyone's points but I don't feel that I have anything to add :(

Grega

True Ouddict
I too have read through the discussions but don't feel that I can contribute anything, being a newcomer still, and unable to form the words to describe my experience with ouds. I'm not well versed in a multitude of smells to draw the note comparisons to. But, it will come.

Regarding regional smells then yes, there is a general feel to each region that I'm starting to pick up on based on oils labelled as from that reason, but it's obviously more complex than that, with the mixed woods as Taha points out . So I am reading this thread with an open mind hoping to take in everyone's points but I don't feel that I have anything to add :(
You and me both bro :Cry:

Grega

True Ouddict
You are a musician. Well, if you are asked to admit that the guitar sounds like the saxophone, how would you feel about the typicality of the both instruments, especially of the guitar?:Cry::Roflmao::Cry:

Thus we are in the same boat:Roflmao:.
All I know is that pretty much any instrument overpowers my beautiful guitar. Especially a sax :( Thank god for microphones! I guess it's the same with musk ;)

Mr.P

oud<3er
“Having said that How I wish we had Chinese Japanese French and fortunate old timer ME oud heads and more south East Asians on this forum to tell us about their take their vision their approach and their understandings.”

This

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
F4F2C4FF-387B-4084-BE47-C3BA2704E3FC.png
Doing my research paid off this evening: two other experienced ouddicts thought so too.

Taha

Oud Fan
@powdernose, please do not think I am trivializing you or what you posted.
In fact, I agree with a lot of your points. But I also disagree with some (further down below).

The problem (not the 'disagreements', that's further down below) is twofold:
1) there are FAR too many topics simultaneously being discussed.
2) Some of them are pointless to discuss without establishing certain premises first. We have disagreed on a fundamental premise, and so, no point in trying to build a castle with dry sand. It'll be a waste of time. That fundamental premise -
  • shavings vs true incense grade wood, and whether they can both yield oils of the same caliber, and true to the aroma of the raw material. Now the thing is, I clearly did say that I have come to the realization it's not smart to cook high grade wild wood, and that cheap cleverly-cooked farm oils are the "smarter" choice.
    For myself, the two don't even come close. Not even remotely.
    But everything I had typed in the original Blind Test thread was in relation to the market at large, and what does and doesn't matter for that. Including the yardstick that the bulk of the market uses for judging oils.
    So what I am trying to say is: I MYSELF am arguing in favor of cheaper oils from cheaper wood (cheapest even, practically-bunk plantation oils). I actually got an earful (eyeful?) in an email from a guy a couple years ago when I released 2 separately oils, the only difference between the 2 oils being the raw material grade. He found them to be virtually identical, and he went on to scold me about the costliness of the costlier (hence pricier) oil. I neither decide on the cost prices of different grades of wood, nor do I ever force anyone to buy any oils. I don't think I deserved that scolding. :p
    Summary: as far as the foolishness of using high grade materials is concerned, I am wholeheartedly agreeing with the argument that high-grade wood should be reserved for burning, and that scrap wood should be used for making oils. Those who can distinguish grade-variation between oils are very few (I personally believe e.g. @Nadeem is someone who can) and hence catering to their sensibilities is not viable from a business point of view.
    Clear? So I hope I will not shoved into the opposing side, when it comes to the issue of foolishness/worthwhileness of using high grade materials. Yes, for me, the two cannot compare. But this isn't about me. For the bulk of the market, it appears the wood grade is irrelevant.
  • I'm only writing this second point as a separate point because the previous one got too long. Still on shavings vs true incense grade wood, and this is the first and most fundamental of my disagreements with you: I am making the claim that distillation-grade shavings smells like firewood. Whether you nuke it, or heat it gently. Get in touch with any distiller, get an oil and a fistful of its raw material wood, and you'll see for yourself.
    The reason why this is such a fundamental point, beyond which it is useless to venture unless its been settled, is because everything else stems from it.
    And what are 'techniques' any way?! Those who think 'modern day clean oils' are a product of techniques... what do you actually think those techniques are? (I do, for the record, agree that for the most part the majority of modern-day 'clean' oils are a product of techniques.. but not what one might think)
    A combination of: (1) disagreement about the nature of distillation-grade shavings, and (2) not really knowing what "techniques" implies, but using the term freely, can only result in one massive... waste of time.
    It will amount to nothing.
    Food for thought: one single batch of wood can be distilled to produce around 15 different distinct oil aroma profiles. And the raw material for all 15 of these batches... was wood that smells like firewood on the heater. :Roflmao: (i.e. nothing like the oil, i.e. the reason for my usage of the term 'alchemy')
As for my disagreements with you:

1) Demanding vendors share photos/videos (or even actual wood, with every order) for every product. For one, I myself told you that my own oil Dao was cooked from wood (shavings, and pretty decent ones at that) which would smell nothing like the oil, and that the distillation choreography was done 'blind' based on the choreography for the superior sister Keo because it was from the very same harvest. So it would have been pointless to ship out those shavings with every purchase of a bottle.
It is useless to compare the wood and oil side-by-side because there will be zero resemblance, except if the raw material was true incense grade (which, as I stated above, is foolish, and if we are talking actual chips then those oils are gonna be prohibitively costly). Secondly, not all vendors live in SE Asia, so how can you expect them to share the raw material for every single batch? I'm sure for every bottle of Heinz ketchup that you buy, you don't demand Kraft Heinz to present every single ingredient to you to individually taste and verify (salt, vinegar, etc). If you like the ketchup you like it, if not you try Del Monte's.
2) Lack of information. OUCH. This one hurts. I think more information is freely available online for oud than any other finished product I can currently think of. And in my case, sharing too much in the past has screwed me. Beyond anything you can imagine. And you're telling me there isn't enough transparency? STRONGLY disagree. I would double-underline if that was possible.
And ya know what... only for you, I will give the option to get a free wood chip for 0.5g each of Royal Lao and Nashila (instead of full bottles). ;)
3) The whole 'Alchemy' thing. This is already detailed above, but I thought of slotting it here as well so that all the disagreements are neatly listed together in one place. :D

Look, I am all for transparency, I am all for tons of genuine questions, but I also think there's a right way to go about things.

I can give quick one-liner replies to the questions you posted (all valid, all understandable), but... I am a big believer in sound epistemology. If we don't agree on the foundational premises, then I think there's no point in discussing the offshoot nitty gritties - including the legitimate questions you posed.

So... as a first step, I would recommend you get in touch with some distillers, get oils (and a fistful of their respective raw materials) from them, and see for yourself. Until then, you are arguing with theoreticals and I'm arguing with first-hand experience (oud is my profession)...
And we'll get nowhere. :p
If you don't have contact info of distillers, shoot me a PM, I'm happy to share some.

powdernose said:
It is a shame none of it took your interest, but I do hope it wasn't completely lost on everyone.
I hope this post of mine will demonstrate that's not the case. I am willing to play ball. :)

Oud is my passion, and I love sharing my passion. Just ask the guys who've added me on WhatsApp. Aside from when I'm off in the jungle, or at a remote distillation facility or otherwise off the grid (or asleep), I am always available. Always willing to share info. Heck, a bunch of folks have even caught me in the middle of grinding up 'sexy wood', so they get to feast their eyes on that live via WhatsApp video, as well as all home distillations (unlike remote distillations in villages, I do have internet at home) and they get to see those live. :p

I'll just part with this-
Not many distillers actually cook incense grade wood, and even more disappointing is the fact that most distillers even using misleading labels like "Super grade oil" and "Double Super oil" - a classic fallacy of equivocation. The bulk of the market (average Arab consumers) <understandably> assume that it means the oils were cooked from those name-sake grades of wood. Whereas the reality is that they were cooked from oud 'firewood'.
Here's an earlier Cambodian batch, one of several batches that I bought and brought back to Malaysia I think in 2016 (I cooked more Cambodian oud than ANY other oud during this time, to try to shed light on all the un-represented flavors of Cambodian agarwood). And just to show you its not a random photo I pulled from the internet, here's my son building an oud castle with that wood in the Phnom Penh hotel room where I stayed:
zayd.jpg

So please understand, whatever I am saying, I am saying as someone who has himself personally cooked crazy wood like this (and hence know actual as opposed to theoretical grade:yield implications, as well as grade:scent implications – and for a small subset of the market.. grade:mind-effects implications), but has also used shavings of all types and grades as well (from 'oud firewood' shavings all the way up to true incense-grade shavings, practically "miniature chips"). And I don't hide these facts. In fact, I have deliberately, many times, offered sister-batches of oils distilled from different grades side-by-side, solely for the purpose of allowing customers to draw their own conclusions.
Some have been able to instantly tell the difference.
But yes, for the most part, the product of 'oud firewood' (kayu minyak/ habuk/ serutan/ khisaimai/ lue/ shavings) is perceived by the bulk of the market as no different (or hardly different) from the product of superior true incense grade wood.
Whether its a case of 'sour grapes' or whatever else, is a different topic. The point of contention, where we disagree, is: (1) whether the aroma of the average raw material is represented by the oil product or not, and hence (2) whether "alchemy" / "1+1=3" is appropriate terminology for such distillations or not.

I don't even know how we got here... :Roflmao: dude, I was arguing FOR cheap cleverly-distilled (organic) plantation oud oils. Its NOT in my best interest to be saying these things, because I personally wish everyone could easily identify truly high grade oils, because I only cook that type of wood with passion. Plus I get to do it in the comfort of my home :Laugh: (higher grade = higher yield, so no need to go live in a nasty village to run a distillation). By openly saying that the majority of consumers are unable to distinguish grade-differentiation by smelling oils distilled from different grades of wood, I'm basically making it easier for consumers to resolve not to bother with the costly high grade stuff and hence sentencing myself to nasty village projects, and cooking without passion, and long website downtime while I'm away, and so on. Not what I would like.
So, I hope you will appreciate my frankness.

And once again, if you don't have contact info of distillers, shoot me a PM, I'm happy to share some. Listing them here would violate the forum rules.

alcolado glacial

True Ouddict
@powdernose, please do not think I am trivializing you or what you posted.
In fact, I agree with a lot of your points. But I also disagree with some (further down below).

The problem (not the 'disagreements', that's further down below) is twofold:
1) there are FAR too many topics simultaneously being discussed.
2) Some of them are pointless to discuss without establishing certain premises first. We have disagreed on a fundamental premise, and so, no point in trying to build a castle with dry sand. It'll be a waste of time. That fundamental premise -
  • shavings vs true incense grade wood, and whether they can both yield oils of the same caliber, and true to the aroma of the raw material. Now the thing is, I clearly did say that I have come to the realization it's not smart to cook high grade wild wood, and that cheap cleverly-cooked farm oils are the "smarter" choice.
    For myself, the two don't even come close. Not even remotely.
    But everything I had typed in the original Blind Test thread was in relation to the market at large, and what does and doesn't matter for that. Including the yardstick that the bulk of the market uses for judging oils.
    So what I am trying to say is: I MYSELF am arguing in favor of cheaper oils from cheaper wood (cheapest even, practically-bunk plantation oils). I actually got an earful (eyeful?) in an email from a guy a couple years ago when I released 2 separately oils, the only difference between the 2 oils being the raw material grade. He found them to be virtually identical, and he went on to scold me about the costliness of the costlier (hence pricier) oil. I neither decide on the cost prices of different grades of wood, nor do I ever force anyone to buy any oils. I don't think I deserved that scolding. :p
    Summary: as far as the foolishness of using high grade materials is concerned, I am wholeheartedly agreeing with the argument that high-grade wood should be reserved for burning, and that scrap wood should be used for making oils. Those who can distinguish grade-variation between oils are very few (I personally believe e.g. @Nadeem is someone who can) and hence catering to their sensibilities is not viable from a business point of view.
    Clear? So I hope I will not shoved into the opposing side, when it comes to the issue of foolishness/worthwhileness of using high grade materials. Yes, for me, the two cannot compare. But this isn't about me. For the bulk of the market, it appears the wood grade is irrelevant.
  • I'm only writing this second point as a separate point because the previous one got too long. Still on shavings vs true incense grade wood, and this is the first and most fundamental of my disagreements with you: I am making the claim that distillation-grade shavings smells like firewood. Whether you nuke it, or heat it gently. Get in touch with any distiller, get an oil and a fistful of its raw material wood, and you'll see for yourself.
    The reason why this is such a fundamental point, beyond which it is useless to venture unless its been settled, is because everything else stems from it.
    And what are 'techniques' any way?! Those who think 'modern day clean oils' are a product of techniques... what do you actually think those techniques are? (I do, for the record, agree that for the most part the majority of modern-day 'clean' oils are a product of techniques.. but not what one might think)
    A combination of: (1) disagreement about the nature of distillation-grade shavings, and (2) not really knowing what "techniques" implies, but using the term freely, can only result in one massive... waste of time.
    It will amount to nothing.
    Food for thought: one single batch of wood can be distilled to produce around 15 different distinct oil aroma profiles. And the raw material for all 15 of these batches... was wood that smells like firewood on the heater. :Roflmao: (i.e. nothing like the oil, i.e. the reason for my usage of the term 'alchemy')
As for my disagreements with you:

1) Demanding vendors share photos/videos (or even actual wood, with every order) for every product. For one, I myself told you that my own oil Dao was cooked from wood (shavings, and pretty decent ones at that) which would smell nothing like the oil, and that the distillation choreography was done 'blind' based on the choreography for the superior sister Keo because it was from the very same harvest. So it would have been pointless to ship out those shavings with every purchase of a bottle.
It is useless to compare the wood and oil side-by-side because there will be zero resemblance, except if the raw material was true incense grade (which, as I stated above, is foolish, and if we are talking actual chips then those oils are gonna be prohibitively costly). Secondly, not all vendors live in SE Asia, so how can you expect them to share the raw material for every single batch? I'm sure for every bottle of Heinz ketchup that you buy, you don't demand Kraft Heinz to present every single ingredient to you to individually taste and verify (salt, vinegar, etc). If you like the ketchup you like it, if not you try Del Monte's.
2) Lack of information. OUCH. This one hurts. I think more information is freely available online for oud than any other finished product I can currently think of. And in my case, sharing too much in the past has screwed me. Beyond anything you can imagine. And you're telling me there isn't enough transparency? STRONGLY disagree. I would double-underline if that was possible.
And ya know what... only for you, I will give the option to get a free wood chip for 0.5g each of Royal Lao and Nashila (instead of full bottles). ;)
3) The whole 'Alchemy' thing. This is already detailed above, but I thought of slotting it here as well so that all the disagreements are neatly listed together in one place. :D

Look, I am all for transparency, I am all for tons of genuine questions, but I also think there's a right way to go about things.

I can give quick one-liner replies to the questions you posted (all valid, all understandable), but... I am a big believer in sound epistemology. If we don't agree on the foundational premises, then I think there's no point in discussing the offshoot nitty gritties - including the legitimate questions you posed.

So... as a first step, I would recommend you get in touch with some distillers, get oils (and a fistful of their respective raw materials) from them, and see for yourself. Until then, you are arguing with theoreticals and I'm arguing with first-hand experience (oud is my profession)...
And we'll get nowhere. :p
If you don't have contact info of distillers, shoot me a PM, I'm happy to share some.

I hope this post of mine will demonstrate that's not the case. I am willing to play ball. :)

Oud is my passion, and I love sharing my passion. Just ask the guys who've added me on WhatsApp. Aside from when I'm off in the jungle, or at a remote distillation facility or otherwise off the grid (or asleep), I am always available. Always willing to share info. Heck, a bunch of folks have even caught me in the middle of grinding up 'sexy wood', so they get to feast their eyes on that live via WhatsApp video, as well as all home distillations (unlike remote distillations in villages, I do have internet at home) and they get to see those live. :p

I'll just part with this-
Not many distillers actually cook incense grade wood, and even more disappointing is the fact that most distillers even using misleading labels like "Super grade oil" and "Double Super oil" - a classic fallacy of equivocation. The bulk of the market (average Arab consumers) <understandably> assume that it means the oils were cooked from those name-sake grades of wood. Whereas the reality is that they were cooked from oud 'firewood'.
Here's an earlier Cambodian batch, one of several batches that I bought and brought back to Malaysia I think in 2016 (I cooked more Cambodian oud than ANY other oud during this time, to try to shed light on all the un-represented flavors of Cambodian agarwood). And just to show you its not a random photo I pulled from the internet, here's my son building an oud castle with that wood in the Phnom Penh hotel room where I stayed:
View attachment 6360

So please understand, whatever I am saying, I am saying as someone who has himself personally cooked crazy wood like this (and hence know actual as opposed to theoretical grade:yield implications, as well as grade:scent implications – and for a small subset of the market.. grade:mind-effects implications), but has also used shavings of all types and grades as well (from 'oud firewood' shavings all the way up to true incense-grade shavings, practically "miniature chips"). And I don't hide these facts. In fact, I have deliberately, many times, offered sister-batches of oils distilled from different grades side-by-side, solely for the purpose of allowing customers to draw their own conclusions.
Some have been able to instantly tell the difference.
But yes, for the most part, the product of 'oud firewood' (kayu minyak/ habuk/ serutan/ khisaimai/ lue/ shavings) is perceived by the bulk of the market as no different (or hardly different) from the product of superior true incense grade wood.
Whether its a case of 'sour grapes' or whatever else, is a different topic. The point of contention, where we disagree, is: (1) whether the aroma of the average raw material is represented by the oil product or not, and hence (2) whether "alchemy" / "1+1=3" is appropriate terminology for such distillations or not.

I don't even know how we got here... :Roflmao: dude, I was arguing FOR cheap cleverly-distilled (organic) plantation oud oils. Its NOT in my best interest to be saying these things, because I personally wish everyone could easily identify truly high grade oils, because I only cook that type of wood with passion. Plus I get to do it in the comfort of my home :Laugh: (higher grade = higher yield, so no need to go live in a nasty village to run a distillation). By openly saying that the majority of consumers are unable to distinguish grade-differentiation by smelling oils distilled from different grades of wood, I'm basically making it easier for consumers to resolve not to bother with the costly high grade stuff and hence sentencing myself to nasty village projects, and cooking without passion, and long website downtime while I'm away, and so on. Not what I would like.
So, I hope you will appreciate my frankness.

And once again, if you don't have contact info of distillers, shoot me a PM, I'm happy to share some. Listing them here would violate the forum rules.
That was very interesting and informative Taha. Would you mind giving examples of oils where the mind effect in your opinion where the best/most intense you experienced?

Taha

Oud Fan
@Taha
I am always appreciative of you taking the time to respond to all my queries, and taking the time to shed some light about the “Biz” from a distiller’s perspective.
:Thumbsup:
My pleasure. :D

That was very interesting and informative Taha. Would you mind giving examples of oils where the mind effect in your opinion where the best/most intense you experienced?
Sure, from the oils that are (1) currently publicly available, and (2) that I myself have smelled: Nha Trang LTD, White Kinam, Kyara LTD 2, and Royal Lao.
As a side note, I smelled those first 3 oils blind, alongside many other oils that smelled nice too, but those others did nothing.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
My pleasure. :D

Sure, from the oils that are (1) currently publicly available, and (2) that I myself have smelled: Nha Trang LTD, White Kinam, Kyara LTD 2, and Royal Lao.
As a side note, I smelled those first 3 oils blind, alongside many other oils that smelled nice too, but those others did nothing.

Don’t forget your own KsK which upon closer study has that fHI sinesis note in spades some 45 min to an hour later.

Taha

Oud Fan
Don’t forget your own KsK which upon closer study has that fHI sinesis note in spades some 45 min to an hour later.
Well, I wasn't referring to the aroma (i.e. scent notes). :)
I was solely listing oils that have a measurable, repeatable, palpable, effect on my mind. 3 of those I tried twice, and Royal Lao of course a bunch of times.
(Also KSK isn't available)

To drive my point home further, here's some Seram island Sirsak variety (not the orris-flavored Beringin variety) wood that I have saved for my own use.
The Beringin stuff is overall prettier, smells nicer.
These particular pieces in the photo smell like poison, and guess what... that's what they do to my mind as well. I am currently 'high' as I type this, after having heated a good amount of little chips broken off from these pieces. :D
IMG_1155.jpg

Yes, there's mind-bending Beringin wood too. But the reason I brought up these 5 pieces is to demonstrate an example of wood that I set aside for myself solely because of the mind-effects, and not because of the aroma.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
I was solely listing oils that have a measurable, repeatable, palpable, effect on my mind. 3 of those I tried twice, and Royal Lao of course a bunch of times.

To drive my point home further, here's some Seram island Sirsak variety (not the orris-flavored Beringin variety) wood that I have saved for my own use.
These particular pieces in the photo smell like poison, and guess what... that's what they do to my mind as well. I am currently 'high' as I type this, after having heated a good amount of little chips broken off from these pieces. :D
View attachment 6361

Yes, there's mind-bending Beringin wood too. But the reason I brought up these 5 pieces is to demonstrate an example of wood that I set aside for myself solely because of the mind-effects, and not because of the aroma.
Thought ksk was put up for sale not long ago. I too was talking about that note that is both medicine and scent :)

alcolado glacial

True Ouddict

View attachment 6361

Thanks for replying, i have had that effect with some philipin wood, no scent but burning wood aroma but the effect 1 minute after inhaling. It felt like had a full on stoned bodyhigh and psychedelic mind high.

Taha

Oud Fan
Thanks for replying, i have had that effect with some philipin wood, no scent but burning wood aroma but the effect 1 minute after inhaling. It felt like had a full on stoned bodyhigh and psychedelic mind high.
Apt observation!
Filipino agarwood is a relatively new (re)discovery, and so what's going around right now is wood that was harvested from super duper high quality trees, and its for this reason that even relatively lower grade Filipino wood will be more mind-bending than higher grade wood from most other countries, because those trees are generally of lower quality.
The first several waves of Filipino Mindanao and Tawi Tawi harvests in 2016-2017 were almost exclusively from dead trees - trees so old that they died from sheer old age. The agarwood extracted from such trees is at a whole 'nother level.

There are only a few other such places left in the world, where there is still agarwood of such ancientness, Palau for one (sadly the entire country along with its agarwood is expected to be underwater soon), and a few Indonesian islands like Raja Ampat, Biak, and Riau islands.