Tincturing Violet Flowers?

Discussion in 'The Natural Perfumer's Palette' started by Woodland Note, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

I did a lilac ether extraction. So much pollen that filtering became an issue. Never really cared for the scent.

I’d do this more often if I had a safe way to collect the solvent afterwards. The expense, need to restock, and environmental concerns keep me from doing this more often.

I’d also like to adapt the method used to make “BHO” (butane hash oil). I produced a really nice sandalwood oil this way once. Got very little oil but it was amazing smelling sandalwood...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Woodland Note likes this.
  2. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan Staff Member

Well, petroleum ether is quite inexpensive I think, even affordable for a poor person I think. Around 3$ per 1L.
    As for butane, I’ve been thinking about it. I got here 300ml (near zero impurities) for gaslighters for around $1,5. But handling it seems to me tricky and a bit dangerous.
    I was thinking about cooling it down in a refrigerator and then pouring into some plastic bottle with plant material. But then again, I have doubts about being able to seal it properly, and about pressure stuff too.

Well, maybe in future.
    There are some closed-loop devices sold online for such purpose:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-5...System-3-x-36-dry-ice-sleeve/32870014055.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/120...xtractor-stainless-steel-304/32871539170.html

I don’t know how good they are, but probably much better than any stuff I could put together at home for the similar cost.

A bit of updates for those interested in the solvent extraction themselves.

I found this link interesting:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/32...e-Process-lessons-learned-and-recommendations

And as for my own experience so far. Don’t keep fresh (not dried) flowers/plant material for more than 3 days... I left the 3rd violet flowers in solvent jar for more than a week, and it smelled not good, like something spoiled, I took flowers away, and kept the mixture for a few more days, to think a bit about what to do with it, and when I opened it again it was even worse than before... like something rotten... So I had not other option but to get rid of it, and not to evaporate.

A few days ago I did solvent extraction with a few fresh leaves of sweet grass, cut to smaller pieces in like 20ml of petroleum ether. I evaporated it next day. The result was surprising and nice! The ether got yellowish like before, but after evaporation (which I did without any heating, just around 3 hours on the open air and it was gone) I was left with white crystalline/powder like residue with a very strong scent. Once dissolved back in ethanol, the liquid was transparent and colorless. Did I mention it’s very powerful? It bursts with scent. Way more than tincture. It has very clear/clean scent/stripped from all the green notes. Is it better than tincture? Well, it’s different, in some ways it’s much better, but in some way it’s missing something. Nonetheless, very cool stuff! :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    Joe King likes this.
  3. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

Coumarin crystals from the sweet grass...

4. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

I think the hexane does not drive the water out of the petals. So the flowers stay wet even though they are submerged in hexane . If there are any micro organisms on the surface of those flower petals I’m sure they can begin to decompose anaerobically which should stick for sure.

5. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

What’s kind of cool is that you are one of the only people who has a true violet flower extract! How many people can claim to have smelled this legendary scent!?

6. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan Staff Member

Today narcissus flowers, 3 x 6-8 flowers, mostly for the sake of practice/exercise, as it’s more straightforward scent than tricky violets. What I’m really excited about now are some wild plants, which scent was always fascinating me. They are yet to grow and bloom... soon. The most cool part about it for me is that it gives me a tool/ability to capture a scent and then release it on demand, so that I can enjoy them anywhere and anytime I wish. :)
    And some might be helpful in the creation of my perfect imaginary perfumes, in some distant future. Though oud, vetiver and sweet grass together are already perfect for me. Nevertheless, the adventure of seeking for something even more mesmerizing and intoxicating is very exacting to me. I no longer even think about any mass produced perfumes.

Joe King and powdernose like this.

Promote Oud!