• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Thoughts on current Ensar offerings

Tosef

Oud Beginner
Also tried Agar Aura oud, not that many, but what I found about it was Agar Aura ouds don't feel dense like Ensar Oud but they do punch hard in a crystal clear way. You feel the depth and elegance of them in a very refined manner with its crystal clean characteristics. Very beautiful in their own way!
100% agree. I think it's one of the reasons why I own more EO oils than AA. I just prefer the more dense, somehow more heavy oils. I do crave AA's style too every now and then tho.

Deen

Oud Beginner
That's is true but tigerwood oils are cheaper and better. Yes they are aged a long time, but the aging does have a value in itself. I find that vintage oils are typically better and I think the tigerwood distillations would be worth the price if it was much more expensive. Of course it's hard to compare many oils because they are so unique from each other.
TWR is a good per price oil. Just saw that rising phoenix also release a new tigerwood oil

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Also tried Agar Aura oud, not that many, but what I found about it was Agar Aura ouds don't feel dense like Ensar Oud but they do punch hard in a crystal clear way. You feel the depth and elegance of them in a very refined manner with its crystal clean characteristics. Very beautiful in their own way!

That is Taha's hallmark style and he distills and commissions distillations in a certain way to achieve that effect. I prefer the Ensar Oud / Oriscent style to be honest.

AbuTominaga

Oud Gangster
Set yourself a spending limit, go spend that same amount with all the vendors on here and those not on here, then comeback and tell us which oils are better.

Please don't do any vendor the buckled treatment where you spend $700 on 3ml with one vendor and $300 on 3ml with another vendor then you compare them and say wow the vendor with $700 has better oils. It should be better it should be two times better, you spent double the amount. Please let that sink in...then continue your Oudh shopping.
I don't know if anyone here would approach oils like you depict: pay double and expect twice the quality. I certainly wouldn't...
One thing that I'd like to comment about is if you pay double the price you gotta expect double the quality. that the oil should be twice as good.

I understand both of the aforementioned points.
This sparks a lovely conversation to bridge both perspectives. to elaborate on this, let's first define quality.

What is an oud oil's quality? how can you compare 2 oud oils? oud oils are apples, oranges, ananas, cucumbers,...the list goes on!
Raw materials quality - check
Distillation technique?
Curing?
Age?
Rarity?
Smell? what kind of smell? why this smell not the other?

from where I stand, all of this play a role indeed, but there's no measurement for BEAUTY. and the appreciation of beauty progresses the more one has experience. experience in being exposed to many oud oils, of different regions, different distillations, ages, and profiles. from a perfumer's standpoint, one can say this oil is better than the other, 2 folds better, but this lingo implicitly has so many things. it can be the "beauty" that I referred to, paired with the rarity of such an oil. Also functionality can play a role in that evaluation. how this oil can be used as backbone for a breath taking composition. so I understand where brother Jawad is coming from.

For the end user, I think it's more of a personal taste. the end oud user and connoisseur is also experienced nowadays, but also has a personal taste that he prefers. this taste can have nothing to do with the age or raw materials. some people like sweet ouds and would be put off by resinous incensy old profiles, and vice versa! we can also drill down to the psychological aspect of this and how we tend to perceive the more expensive oils with better "quality" or refined taste. There's also the dopamine numbing factor which is getting used to certain profiles and craving a newer bigger hit. and by the end of that spectrum (if there is any end really), you'll realize that what you love now is probably something you would not have even considered 10 years ago.

this kind of polarity is actually beautiful and I personally enjoy perceiving this from a standpoint of yin and yang. there are always opposing opinions and beliefs, but they amount for nothing on their own, one perception has to have an opposing/different perception. and the "Truth" lies in the big picture.