Rai Munir

Musk Man
JK you making a brown Bengali blush my brother , If I was your neighbor I would be at your cribs every day with Coffee and doughnuts , :Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:, Amazing Woods , I miss home in these winter days , Thanks brother for warming my heart up . :oldman::turban:
Dear brother Ish, brown Bengali, well, it is a record that you are on paternal leave for more than seven months. And it makes brown Pakistani blush:Roflmao::Roflmao:. For how long your Esty shop will remain closed. So interesting paternal leaves. ;).

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Not sure about Myanmar but I would have thought the dormant species in Australia is Santalum Spicatum. [emoji4]

The native species of Australia are Spicatum and Lanceolatum (the latter which we have distilled and offered, our QLD Sandalwood oil).

There's now a massive Album plantation there that was planted from Indian stock 3 decades ago that just started producing a few years back. The Australian Album wood and oil, to my nose, smells like movie theater popcorn. Not to my personal liking, but it is quickly becoming the industry album go-to given the quantity they can supply.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Alright. I came back to it this morning to saw through this monster. Took a total of about 40 minutes to hand saw through this, and I still needed to use a chisel (hence why it broke). I couldn't get the saw to go all the way through and needed to break some off to get the saw back in there.

Will likely need to use an electric saw on this...it was like cutting through rock! Haha

How's that Yunnan Red Meat looking to everyone? This stuff feels quite heavy. Haven't tested it in water, but this likely all sinks.

Need to give my arms a rest - will tackle making some Kukawari hopefully later today after I finish up with my patient load!

@Nikhil S - this red enough for ya? Haha

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
@RisingPhoenix Red enough for me bro ! I have a few billets of red wood passed on in the family. The smell is lost from the periphery. Needs a little shaving when needed. This is a beautiful piece you have here :)

Sounds like a nice family stash!

Wondering if I should get more of this and distill some. It's so dense, it has me wondering what the yields would be.

What do you think, folks? Would anyone be interested in trying out a Yunnan Red Meat Sandalwood oil? We would distill this one here in the US.

Royalbengalouds

Resident Artisan
Dear brother Ish, brown Bengali, well, it is a record that you are on paternal leave for more than seven months. And it makes brown Pakistani blush:Roflmao::Roflmao:. For how long your Esty shop will remain closed. So interesting paternal leaves. ;).
Salam @Rai Munir , Yes Parental leave is a blessing ( Minus the Choote wala crying like an Alarm Clock and Super Sleep Deprivation , Thanks Allah SWT that he gave us Coffee ) , you made me smile bhaia , :Geek::baby::turban:

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Wanted to share an illustration of the similarities and differences between Red Meat Yunnan and Red Meat Mysore...

Yunnan on the Left

Mysore on the Right

The shine the Mysore has looks more oily

The shine the Yunnan has looks more Resinous

Hard to tell how old this Yunnan log is since the year lines aren't showing so well cutting by handsaw - but it's only half of the diameter. If you look up a few posts, you can see just how big it is - wider than the width of my palm at the widest point.

This was a crazy old tree. Wouldn't be surprised if 200+ years old given the size of this log

IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_0536.jpg

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
That shine makes the wood look sooo juicy! maybe @Santal Claus or @tyson can help with determining a possible age of the tree?

I think I'd probably need to sand and polish the surface to get a good view of the age rings. The hand saw leaves cut marks that makes the lines a bit hard to see clearly. And the rings on old Sandal are so tight it's hard to count, anyhow.

Hold on...will post an example

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Can you tell how old this log is?

Even though the age rings are visible...not all of them are, and they are so tight it's hard to get an accurate count.

Also - the tree may be older than where this particular cross section was taken from - so even if you could get an accurate count, it's still may not be an accurate representation of how old the tree was

IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG

Royalbengalouds

Resident Artisan
Can you tell how old this log is?

Even though the age rings are visible...not all of them are, and they are so tight it's hard to get an accurate count.

Also - the tree may be older than where this particular cross section was taken from - so even if you could get an accurate count, it's still may not be an accurate representation of how old the tree was

View attachment 2190 View attachment 2191
Awesome log bros , looks delicious , now after counting the lines on the Wood I would say over 50 years , but I counted 75 lines and up , but I would say 50years & up or even 75 years and higher cause there is tiny lines near the round end of the wood and good chance 100 years and up also , ah the mystical lines on the wood are amazing on all Wood species on this earth , ( Sorry for giving multiple answers :oops:), 100 years and higher Final answer :Unsure::Unsure::Unsure::Thumbsup::Cooler:

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Awesome log bros , looks delicious , now after counting the lines on the Wood I would say over 50 years , but I counted 75 lines and up , but I would say 50years & up or even 75 years and higher cause there is tiny lines near the round end of the wood and good chance 100 years and up also , ah the mystical lines on the wood are amazing on all Wood species on this earth , ( Sorry for giving multiple answers :oops:), 100 years and higher Final answer :Unsure::Unsure::Unsure::Thumbsup::Cooler:

Haha - that's what I mean, it isn't easy to tell on some of these. Tricky!

You could also get a 100 year old part of the tree - but the tree might still be 100-200 or more years old.