RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Medicine, Food, and Koh (incense) all come from the same source.

If ever you wonder why you can't make sense of japanese incense at times - here is a perfect example of why. Ingredient choices can be quite unexpected...yet yield oishi (tasty!) results!

IMG_8535.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_8537.JPG

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Last day before I head home from Japan. Has been an amazing three weeks! Lots of stories to tell once I get home.

Just saw this video - was here and climbed Mt. Misen on Miyajima Island outside of Hiroshima. Absolutely gorgeous!

Loved Daisho-in...photos soon. But for now...enjoy this video!

EHV

Oud Fan
That looks fantastic! I'd love to try it.

Specialty coffee brewing temp is recommend at 195-205F and the above is not boiled either but............how to they get the sand up to the proper temp and what is the temp?!?!?!

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
That looks fantastic! I'd love to try it.

Specialty coffee brewing temp is recommend at 195-205F and the above is not boiled either but............how to they get the sand up to the proper temp and what is the temp?!?!?!

The sand is in a wok over the flame. Temp is modified by taking it up to just under boiling. Can see in the video that is soon as they get a few bubbles they pull it off and then put it back in. It's not something you just stick in the sand and walk away from… It takes some tending

Reactions: EHV

EHV

Oud Fan
Ah, thank you.

And here I was so proud of brewing some nice, single origin Yemen in my Chemex this morning. :) Someday, I need to make it to Turkey and try that.

The sand is in a wok over the flame. Temp is modified by taking it up to just under boiling. Can see in the video that is soon as they get a few bubbles they pull it off and then put it back in. It's not something you just stick in the sand and walk away from… It takes some tending