• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

The "mind Buzz" Thread

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi

Ouroboros223

Oud Beginner
This is true, high end refers only to the cost of production and not always quality.

JSL is a good example of this...

Relitaliano

Oud Beginner
Being new to the world of Oud and Attars (this is my first post;) as I am more familiar with essential oils or commercial fragrances. After receiving for the first time today a collection of attars from Maison Anthony Marmin I chose to wear “Oud Al Fares”. My nose is not as sophisticated in discovering the nuances of Fragrances as most people, but I found the Scent to become “elusive“ as you described the more I focused on it. As I went about my business I would get wafts of fragrance, which were quite warm and pleasant. When I brought my wrist to my nose to explore the Attars nuances further, it would play peekaboo with my senses. Can someone explain why this happens? Is this a characteristic of “Oud” or something quite familiar with the world of Attars? I also experienced a very deep, calming, mental fog or psychological effect similar to “Vetiver“ EO but not quite as sedating from this Attar, even though I only used a tiny dot on my wrist. Does “Oud” have a psychological or mind altering effect? Being a spiritual person my body has always been sensitive to substances, Crystals and herbal supplements. Does anyone else experience this?
@Castingshadows
Why do certain people’s brain chemistry exhibit more sedative qualities than stimulation with the same oil? Does Oud from different regions, produce more stimulating or sedative effects? Which varieties are more stimulating? Sedating? Will someone experience psychological effects even when Oud is used in small amounts in attars? When using Blended essential oils there is usually a synergistic effect of the various oils are compounding together to produce a separate experience from the individual components. I found the effects of the Oud Attar I tried today to be indicative to the half-life of essential oils, which is usually 2-3 hours. What are your experiences with Oud effects?

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
@Castingshadows
Why do certain people’s brain chemistry exhibit more sedative qualities than stimulation with the same oil? Does Oud from different regions, produce more stimulating or sedative effects? Which varieties are more stimulating? Sedating? Will someone experience psychological effects even when Oud is used in small amounts in attars? When using Blended essential oils there is usually a synergistic effect of the various oils are compounding together to produce a separate experience from the individual components. I found the effects of the Oud Attar I tried today to be indicative to the half-life of essential oils, which is usually 2-3 hours. What are your experiences with Oud effects?
Well that I don’t know about. The study I posted was conducted in rats and they found these effects inherent in rats so I’d imagine there’s a similar correlation with humans and how these compounds react with our receptors.

For me Oud is calming. As my journey progresses I find that mind buzz that most folks refer to is just highly concentrated sesquiterpenes that are often mistaken for feeling buzzed but really it’s just an effect of astringency. But then when I smell Kinam and chew Kinam I get an actual head change. It feels narcotic in a way. Sometimes when I chew Kinam it makes my head rush and my heart flutter.

Overall I stopped focusing on all this stuff and instead wear Oud because I like it. I’m tired of all the marketing gimmicks. I used to get caught up in it as is evidence on a couple threads on this site. Anymore though I stopped paying attention to the overall effects but olfactory stimulation has always helped me to focus and I use it as a tool for mindfulness.

Relitaliano

Oud Beginner
One of my aromatherapy blends (Brain Power by YL) I use when I need to focus is synergistically compounded With Sesquiterpenes to oxygenate the brain. I have always experienced less mental fatigue with a laser like focus, and no discernible sedation or calming effect. On the other hand, Beta Caryophyllene is a terpene from black pepper, rosemary and the highest known source from “Copaiba” essential oil is well known in Cannabis. It stimulates the Endocannabinoid system similar to CBD and is a strong anti inflammatory agent. Which are your favorite pure Oud or Attar blends?

AngelicaOud

Oud Fan
I’ve felt a strong mind buzz from certain oils as well. Oud gives me a good little zing but Blue Lotus from RPP??? Talk about psychedelic. I had to close my laptop and stop work because my eyes were “vibrating” almost as AngelicaOud described.

(I also wonder if people who have extensive experience with ceremonial hallucinogens might be more open to these effects— Ibogaine, 5meoDMT, LSD, mushrooms etc)
RPP?

AngelicaOud

Oud Fan
I’ve felt a strong mind buzz from certain oils as well. Oud gives me a good little zing but Blue Lotus from RPP??? Talk about psychedelic. I had to close my laptop and stop work because my eyes were “vibrating” almost as AngelicaOud described.

(I also wonder if people who have extensive experience with ceremonial hallucinogens might be more open to these effects— Ibogaine, 5meoDMT, LSD, mushrooms etc)
Just read the second part again, Could be. maybe because you opened that 3rd eye!

AngelicaOud

Oud Fan
Very interesting thread this, we have here.
Perhaps...an understanding of the 'Mind' would be a good place to start in regards to buzzing. I suspect (on my life experiences and inter actions with other humans) most people don't actually know their own 'Mind'
I write this, not as an insult to anybody in particular, just people in general.....incidentally, very noticeable in this generation. The ability of the self to stay focused these days is weak in many, and for many varied reasons...most significantly, instant gratifications.

For example, I have seen people display all the symptoms of out right fear when presented with the image of a needle....Nobody has touched them...but already there heart rate is increasing...there breathing is much much more shallower and they begin to glisten with beads of sweat across their body...and all by seeing something with their eyes.....The mind begins to operate on its own evidence of what the eyes are providing...without any physical contact.....

Smells.....as a child...I spent time in hospital and there was (back then) a very strong scent of bleach, as everything was always cleaned thoroughly with this chemical.. For years later, I would always have a feeling of being a lone when ever I got the whiff of bleach. Clearly...my mind associated bleach smell with my family leaving me each evening in the hospital.

The human body is a living data gathering device which processes information 24/7, over our life time...no matter how long or how short that life turns out to be.
The five physical senses...Sight,Sound,Feel,Smell and Taste help us understand the physical world around us......all can help the mind find a buzz. However when you include the other aspects of the Electromagnetic spectrum, that those senses are not aware of...then you move into another realm...a realm most never find cause they don't know their own mind...
It really comes down to how each individual process all the data they gather...using the physical brain. As Walt Whitman once said.....
“I am not contain'd between my hat and my boots.”
As a hypnotherapist I found your post powerfully evocative. You actually made my recent splurge on oud feel 100% like a great idea.and You’re writing skills have made me want to stop procrastinating and get back to work!