Thai Oil Profile - Beginning To Get A Picture

Discussion in 'Agarwood' started by Mr.P, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

Thai oud oil can be very interesting. There is a certain common aroma to all my Thai oils that I'm a little tired of, but there are also some amazing aromas that distinguish them. I have one that has a really nice, classic, sweet lingering classic agarwood base-note that keeps surprising me. A couple of others that, after the initial blast dies down, almost resemble the smoke I have smelled coming from gently heated quality Vietnamese wood. Another brings Cambodian oud to mind and yet another smells like it is from Borneo. All this variety is something that surprised me. The Thai oils I have are all a mixed bag though - each has something excellent to them and something a bit odd. They are a bit harder for me to enjoy straight-up... this region appeals less to me than many others but at the same time they are an essential part of my collection and I find myself applying them daily and ignoring the rough parts in order to get access to the more fleeting sublime notes.

I have only a few Thai oils:

Feel oud bio ko chan 1, 2, 3
    Feel oud Thai, name was something like bio chan (?) not sure
    Sweet Trat

Some kind souls here sent me several vials with Thai oil samples, but I don't have names / makes on these.

All in all I think I have sniffed about 10 oils of Thai origin. I don't have any wood from Thailand either.

2. Bruce Evey

Bruce Evey Whats this Oud About?

I just ordered about 14 grams of Thai wood and plan to make oil from them. Should be interesting! Thanks for the info!

F4R1d0uX and Sproaty like this.
  3. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

I've been back and forth about Thai ouds, first liking them, then finding them a bit too boring and samey but now I quite like them! And I find the wood is great, having tried some from Royal Bengal Ouds & LMK.
    @MrP, which is your favourite oil?

Mario P. likes this.
  4. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

My current favorite Thai oils are probably the bio ko Chan, esp. oil #3. At first I really disliked one and two but as they oxidized they have become less weird. I don’t think I’ve ever smelled a top shelf thai oil - I’ve never purchased one over $80 per quarter tola. I imagine that oil distilled from wild mature Thai wood could be pretty fantastic.

5. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

One of the bottles you have is Thai Kharama the first ones I sold :).

Mr.P and AbasFrag like this.
  6. F4R1d0uX

Hi Bruce !
    How do you plan to make oil ?

Joe King likes this.
  7. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Thai kharama has a special place in my heart. Bargain x 9999999 and the first oud I ever finish a whole bottle of. Happy I got more :)

Mr.P and Sproaty like this.
  8. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

That’s right. That was an excellent oil. It is long gone! I wish I had been more conservative and save some of it. I don’t know what I was thinking. I usually never use up an entire bottle

9. Bruce Evey

I have an Extractcraft Source Turbo and will extract an ethanol tincture made from the wood chips.

Edward jay Bullock and F4R1d0uX like this.
  10. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

That sounds nice. Interesting devices...

I’m guessing you are planning not to evaporate / recover the alcohol? Have you tinctured agarwood before?

11. Bruce Evey

No it will be my first go with Agarwood. I did make some great Mysore Sandalwood Oil today!

Attached Files:

12. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

Oud gets very thick / sticky / brittle when you evaporate a tincture. I am guessing you will end up with a ball of resin. Should be interesting- please share your results!

13. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

One common feature of Thai oud is a pronounced rooibos note - It is a kind of leafy mulch smell and I find it pretty pleasant.

14. F4R1d0uX

Great ! How much ml you plan to extract from 14gr of wood ?

15. Bruce Evey

I surely will share results. And thanks for the information. I’m going to try to stop the extraction when I still have a liquid. So I won’t take all the ethanol out.

Martin likes this.
  16. Bruce Evey

Very hard to say how much I will end up with! I will have to wait and see. But I will share results. It will be a week or two before I try this.

17. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

Wonder what ever became of this!?

I just put a swipe of oud tincture yesterday. Unbelievable performance - the sweet / sticky oud scent still obvious 12 hours later at a level no distillate can match. I was getting wafts and trying to recall which oud I’d swiped this morning only to realize it was residue from yesterday. Oud tinctures are worth adding to the collection - the extracted resin acts like a fixative and really results in prolonged scent perceptibility. I wonder if it is a true physical fixative and if it would delay the evaporation of regular oud oil that was mixed in with it?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Joe King and Oudamberlove like this.
  18. Kabir Attars

Kabir Attars Oud Fanatic

@Mr.P how does one make an Oud tincture.

19. Mr.P

Mr.P True Ouddict

I bought powdered agarwood and soaked it in grain alcohol for a month or so. Very dark brown liquid with a gentle agarwood top note reminiscent of dry wood chips, and a great oudy very long lasting base. Not a replacement for oud oil but layers and blends with it very nicely.

Kabir Attars likes this.
  20. Kabir Attars

Kabir Attars Oud Fanatic

Wow I might try that...how much oud powder to Alcohol.

Promote Oud!