• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Tax,Tax,......And MoreTax.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
I knew BREXIT would cause change to my dealings with UK. Was ready for that. But I use Etsy platform a lot for artisnal stuff around the world. But I see since the 1st of July all these big buy/sell platforms..Etsy, Amazon, Ebay and the rest have now placed a mandatory tax on all sales below €150 plus shipping. 23% into Ireland.
So anything outside of EU...gets clobbered with an added 23% on top of price. EU says its to protect their market...I buy a lot of stuff from Africa and far flung Asian countries......but the EU has made things worse for those countries...
I have reduced down my spend because of it....so many of these small artisnal sellers only came onto these platforms because their market from tourists collapsed last year and still this year
They now find themselfs having 23% slapped on their products...Good luck with that...

Tilt

Oud Fan
Abdullah from Mellifluence mentioned something about this in an Instagram post. He's since told me that it's always better for me and others in EU to order from him directly rather than use Etsy now these changes have come into force. Though that's the UK and, as you say, it must be really hurting some artisans in other areas of the world.

Maybe vendors outside the EU can start to offer tax free shopping to those inside the union? Then we pay tax at our respective country's customs. I've noticed Bloom Perfumery in London do that. Hard for small artisans to keep up with all this stuff though and then arrange things for themselves without relying on Etsy etc. Who does that 23% go to? Etsy in each EU state? All a bit confusing for me just to think about.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Abdullah from Mellifluence mentioned something about this in an Instagram post. He's since told me that it's always better for me and others in EU to order from him directly rather than use Etsy now these changes have come into force. Though that's the UK and, as you say, it must be really hurting some artisans in other areas of the world.

Maybe vendors outside the EU can start to offer tax free shopping to those inside the union? Then we pay tax at our respective country's customs. I've noticed Bloom Perfumery in London do that. Hard for small artisans to keep up with all this stuff though and then arrange things for themselves without relying on Etsy etc. Who does that 23% go to? Etsy in each EU state? All a bit confusing for me just to think about.
It goes to the government of the destination country. The platforms are collecting on behalf of government. The claw back of money to fund the pandemic has begun in earnest. You can expect alot more stealth tax increases to become widely introduced going forward.