Zenvi

Oud Beginner
Assalamu'alaykum and greetings.

I recently came across this speech clip by our dear Shaykh Ibrahim Osi Efa in which he describes the method by which the Beloved Prophet Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him applied perfume. It also goes into the meaning of the hadith that describes which type of perfume is to be used by men and women.

Also anyone who watched the clip, do you know what the Shaykh means by the Prophet peace be upon him perforating the perfume?

Zenvi

Oud Beginner
Salawat.jpg
Please Translate in English my reading of Arabic is poor...Salaam Walaikum.

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
سلامٌ عليكم ورحمةالله وبركاته اخوتي
Salmon alykom warahamtolahi wabarakatoh ikhwati, I would be interested if some one could teach us more about the ramak and musk of prophet Muhammad (salawat Allah alih)

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust
No worries , إن شاء الله it is of some benefit/interest!
May Allah reward you akhi, much appreciated

Ahmed.Atta

Jannah Dust

I recently came across this speech clip by our dear Shaykh Ibrahim Osi Efa in which he describes the method by which the Beloved Prophet Muhammed peace and blessings be upon him applied perfume. It also goes into the meaning of the hadith that describes which type of perfume is to be used by men and women.

Also anyone who watched the clip, do you know what the Shaykh means by the Prophet peace be upon him perforating the perfume?

Jazak Allah khairan akhi

Mr.P

oud<3er
That is very specific and detailed. I am not Catholic but I teach at Catholic schools and I just went to a training day yesterday. It's amazing all of the very very specific details that religions have accumulated over the centuries of their existence as people have come up with these traditions and passed them on. It is interesting, although "not for me" as a non catholic, but historically interesting to see what details people thought were worth recording. It would be interesting to look at all of the different religions and some of the traditions that they have related to scent and perfume incense and look for common threads or themes.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
I have a training in horticulture and remember attending a wonderful lecture given at the time (around 2000) It was mainly about the evolution of planets and ferns in particular. But it covered the evolution of all plants in general.
As humans, we have been evolving along our way by watching and learning from nature. For food, for shelter, for medicine and for perfume.
Early indications from research shows people have been attempting to capture the natural scents of there locations for eons. It was a wonderful lecture. One that gave more information then the title suggested.
Nature had some extremely scented plants back then.
Today, we are still trying to put it in a bottle.... alhamdulallah....

Last edited:

Zx.gham

Oud Beginner

Wa alaikum ussalaam, peace be upon you.

I know I am very late to this but I would like to reply to your question about perforation.
Perhaps vials that contained the perfume in those days were not made of glass. Perhaps they were made of leather or something similar. After it had been left for a year or longer and it was ready to be used, instead of opening the pouch or container, a small hole may have been made in the container to allow the perfume to be used. This is not a definitive answer, I do not dare to speak of our Nabi without knowledge, but I am just sharing my thoughts about the actions of people in those days.

Also is the amber mentioned in the ahadith referring to ambergirs?

Zenvi

Oud Beginner
Wa alaikum ussalaam, peace be upon you.

I know I am very late to this but I would like to reply to your question about perforation.
Perhaps vials that contained the perfume in those days were not made of glass. Perhaps they were made of leather or something similar. After it had been left for a year or longer and it was ready to be used, instead of opening the pouch or container, a small hole may have been made in the container to allow the perfume to be used. This is not a definitive answer, I do not dare to speak of our Nabi without knowledge, but I am just sharing my thoughts about the actions of people in those days.

Also is the amber mentioned in the ahadith referring to ambergirs?
That does make a lot of sense Akhi, thank you for your wonderful explanation. I asked a hadith scholar about this and he seemed to think that this was the case as well.

Zenvi

Oud Beginner
سلامٌ عليكم ورحمةالله وبركاته اخوتي
Salmon alykom warahamtolahi wabarakatoh ikhwati, I would be interested if some one could teach us more about the ramak and musk of prophet Muhammad (salawat Allah alih)
Found this online. A definition from Ibn Sina. And God and His Messenger peace be upon him know best.

1025, ابن سينا (Avicenna), القانون في الطب [Canon Medicinae]:
‏إن السك الأصلي هو الصيني المتخذ من الأملج والآن لما عز ذلك فقد يتخذونه من العفص والبلح على نحو عمل الرامك‏.‏ الطبع‏:‏ الساذج منه حار في الأولى يابس في الثانية وللطيب حار يابس في الثالثة‏.‏‎The original sukk is Chinese and is made from emblic and when that is hard to get then they take oak gall and dates prepared like rāmik. Its nature: The simple form of it is hot in the first grade, dry in the second grade and as for the scent hot and dry in the third grade.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
The ways that we know the Prophet SAW applied scent are as follows:

He SAW fumigated with Oudh by itself.

He SAW fumigated with Oudh mixed with camphor.

This can be found in the narration from ibn Umar RA in Sahih Muslim.

He SAW applied musk, in a paste form on his hair and beard, to the extent that it would shimmer in the sunlight. This is recorded in the Hadith of Aisha in Sahih Muslim.

He SAW applied Al Dhareera , a type of fragrance from India, Al Nawawi says it was a Mukhalat. This is recorded in the hadith of Aisha RA in Sahih Al Bukhari.

To be continued inshaAllah
َََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََََ