1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Strange Top Fractions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yahya Schiltz-Rouse, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Yahya Schiltz-Rouse

Yahya Schiltz-Rouse Whats this Oud About?

I received a sample labelled Satori Fusho from Ensar Oud several months ago that was a lighter colored and thicker oil, which was nicer smelling than the actual 2 gram bottle of Satori Fusho. This strange sample has such an incredible green gold smell that instantly improves my mood and reminds me of a pure fragrance chemical in it's clarity (like Iso E Super) yet is complex like an oudy fragrance. Some people claim that oils by agar aura are leaning in this direction and I am wondering if these golden smells come from the top fraction in Oud distillation since darker ouds tend to contain more earthy notes and lighter colored ouds tend to have lighter cleaner aromas.

It is like there is another level of Oud that is very refined and less intensely fruity/earthy and more ethereal and less irritating?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. Castingshadows

Castingshadows Oud Fan

All I know is that Ensar oftentimes releases oils with the same name over multiple distillations. I’d imagine that oxidation plays a role in why the sample smells different but also the batches can be completely different. His team has distilled 3 separate batches of Nagalayyen so far and I hear not all of them smell the same. The newest batch of Aroha Kyaku is supposed to have less smoke and a smoother base than previous batches so take my word with a grain of salt here. I do believe this may be the case.

3. DubOudh

DubOudh Aster Oudh

I find same viles a strange thing indeed...I have often and regularly bought/buy blind...based on a good interpretation from some sources other then just the vendor's discretion. When I have sampled viles sent out...I often find a dissimilar full 2.5gm bottle arriving if I buy.
    I am not too put out by this as I imagine many little things can cause a scent to change....even something a simple as separating it from its bigger family. I usually treat samples as just that a sample that will give me an approximate idea as to what I may eventual buy in a bigger bottle....Where I would be displeased, is when you may very well buy something that is not what was advertised...but that is a very different story....

Promote Oud!