Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Economics research - largely macroeconomic theory with mathematical modelling.

back in my uni days we had a lecturer, the most unorthodox individual who used to take us for one of the challenging math units that formed the back bone of quantum physics. He didn't have fancy Masters or PHD, but he was a gifted individual. Prior to his teaching career he used to occupy a swanky office on the top floors of the big bank over looking the city doing mathematical modelling of how the banks could get away with ripping people off...then the penny of ethics dropped and he left it all to teach. He used to convey the lesson which was scheduled for 3 hour slots in 45minutes and dismiss the class. He would then join some of the students and light it up...

I met many brilliant people and studied with many others who were brilliant including one of Prof Hawkin's research assistants, but none had the disposition of B.

you mentioning mathematical modelling took me back many years...the things that make us smile , thank you brother.

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
back in my uni days we had a lecturer, the most unorthodox individual who used to take us for one of the challenging math units that formed the back bone of quantum physics. He didn't have fancy Masters or PHD, but he was a gifted individual. Prior to his teaching career he used to occupy a swanky office on the top floors of the big bank over looking the city doing mathematical modelling of how the banks could get away with ripping people off...then the penny of ethics dropped and he left it all to teach. He used to convey the lesson which was scheduled for 3 hour slots in 45minutes and dismiss the class. He would then join some of the students and light it up...

I met many brilliant people and studied with many others who were brilliant including one of Prof Hawkin's research assistants, but none had the disposition of B.

you mentioning mathematical modelling took me back many years...the things that make us smile , thank you brother.

SubhanAllah, I have somewhat similar experience. I will share it with you later.

A bit of boring economics stuffs: It is a fact that the today's finance and economics (both academia and in the real world) are heavily dependent on complex mathematical modelling, with little social welfare consideration (if any). Consequently, social welfare optimisation (state's objective) and profit optimisation (firm's objective) are unfortunately highly incompatible with each other in today's world.

I always struggle with that as most of my works have to deal with both - fortunately, with social welfare optimisation in mind - largely from theoretical perspectives (with usual central bank stuffs). Academic research suit my style too.