• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Siberian And Mongolian Musk. What's The Difference?

NinjaRobb

Official Trader Siberian and Mongolian Musk
I took a photo of Siberian musk on the left and Mongolian musk on the right. I just opened two different pods, didn't clean the musk or add anything to it, just put the musk on a white sheet of paper and took a photo. You will be able to see the grains in detail, see their color, texture, and composition.
musk-grains.jpg

Pod: Mongolian almost hairless, Siberian half bald, half with hair

Color: the musk from both pods is semi-dry, so we see that the Siberian musk is blacker, the Mongolian musk is brown

Texture: both pods had a small amount of hair, and the Mongolian musk was cleaner. Siberian-more small grains, Mongolian-more dense balls that break up into grains.

Weight and volume: Siberian musk is heavier than Mongolian musk by weight. If we compare 1 gram of Siberian and 1 gram of Mongolian, we will get a different physical volume, but the weight will be the same.

Smell: Both types have an animal smell, but the Mongolian is softer in smell and the Siberian is heavier. If you compare them with each other. Still on my feelings Siberian more potent.

I will add to this post as I get new observations.

To order musk welcome to personal messages or on sibermusk.com

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lupin fox

Oud Fan
I took a photo of Siberian musk on the left and Mongolian musk on the right. I just opened two different pods, didn't clean the musk or add anything to it, just put the musk on a white sheet of paper and took a photo. You will be able to see the grains in detail, see their color, texture, and composition.
View attachment 12650
Pod: Mongolian almost hairless, Siberian half bald, half with hair

Color: the musk from both pods is semi-dry, so we see that the Siberian musk is blacker, the Mongolian musk is brown

Texture: both pods had a small amount of hair, and the Mongolian musk was cleaner. Siberian-more small grains, Mongolian-more dense balls that break up into grains.

Weight and volume: Siberian musk is heavier than Mongolian musk by weight. If we compare 1 gram of Siberian and 1 gram of Mongolian, we will get a different physical volume, but the weight will be the same.

Smell: Both types have an animal smell, but the Mongolian is softer in smell and the Siberian is heavier. If you compare them with each other. Still on my feelings Siberian more potent.

I will add to this post as I get new observations.

To order musk welcome to personal messages or on sibermusk.com

Thanks!

I found them both to have that "pissy" animal aroma but to me the Siberian smells a little more aged "musky" and smoother, and smells very different to the Mongolian which smells fresher in comparison.
The Mongolian has a very strong lemony floral smell to it (think public toilets minus the bleach kind of lemon).
The Siberian in contrast has more pronounced musky tobacco ish notes than the Mongolian.

I imagine that the Siberian would be better at enhancing heavier perfumes/attar's such as orientals and heavy red rose scents ect, especially to bring out those spicy notes and the Mongolian would be better for some citrus and light floral's such as Jasmine
or Rose Otto when you don't want to bring down those green citrus/ metallic notes with anything too dark or smooth.

I have not yet smelled them diluted yet so that is just a guess.

I would also like to see what each does to the same sandalwood by taking 2 small vials of the same sandalwood and see how each musk brings out differences in the sandal profile.....Maybe try the same thing with a few different types of sandal
to see how many variations in scent they bring out.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Got some Mongolian grains from @NinjaRobb recently...
I enjoy the task of sieving through musk grains fro any stray hair or small bits of skin that might have got through..
Harder work clearly with a full pod then grains...but the pure smell of the Mongolian grains neat, is a wonder to itself......
I use a tweezers, scalpel (for full pods) magnifying glass and a small cleaning stick.
As you can see from the picture @NinjaRobb did an excellent job cleaning (as expected)...I only got a few hairs (to be expected) and very tiny piece of skin seen on the right of the plate.....I find it quite calming and of course it takes a fair amount of time in particular, if you are cleaning a full pod.......

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_160558~2.jpg
    IMG_20220112_160558~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220112_153949~2.jpg
    IMG_20220112_153949~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23