I tried some Fritzsche Brothers "Oil of Sandalwood N.F. Vlll".

It has an excellent Shoyeido Chip smell indeed, but was very weak.

I'm a bit disappointed, but I will still treasure it.

The Old Stock Crown I got from Incense House is bright but lacks a deep base. It does however, have a clean Mysore profile. What I did, was mix some of it with some Santal Midy, and Boy Oh Boy!, there's something you'll hardly ever experience, a 10 to 20 year old Bright Mysore together with a Deep Base Mysore over a century old. The juxtaposition just sends my olfactories in a Tizzy. In short, Awesome!

Well I don't enjoy pure rose or sandal wood so much and both of them usually they are not strong oils like oud but I'm sure if u mix it with strong thing like raw musk and age it just one year u will get something special 😉

Last edited by a moderator:

joel

I am really enjoying the funky, musky, raw feel of EO Santal Royale. Strong projection and multi layered evolution.

Ambergris Sandalwood from IO has a rich, deep, provocative pull beneath the creamy sandalwood smoothness, long lasting and very sexy.

Special Reserve Mysore 2016 from JK is rich creamy vanilla spice, with a golden hue.

I have a bottle of Sandalwood Musk Attar from JK (66/33) on the way. As well as a small bottle of pure undiluted Musk Attar. I can't wait to smell these.

There is some so deep and intoxicating about Mysore oils.

I feel so blessed to wake and to sleep with these divine scents. So grateful to be smelling the pure stuff. I am still exploring a small bottle of Mysore 84.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
I prefer the more sour bitter type of sandal wood being a sandle novice i think the Sri Lankan oils sway more towards these notes but i could be wrong

I have not smelled two sandalwood oils that are alike. I never expected that. But even with such variety, it can't match the variety there is with Oud. And Oud is stronger. But I never stopped searching for some pure Sandalwood Oil until I found some. I just had to have some, and now, once in a while, I reach for the Sandalwood oil before I reach for the Oud.

GLTASN

Review of Tan Xiang No.1: When you think about good sandalwood oils there are a few things that are automatic, creamy, buttery, woody, nutty. To me Ive always thought of the butter and creamy notes as part of one aspect but, Taha's(Agaraura) new creation, Tan Xiang No.1, is all cream with no butter, something Ive never come across. This stuff is straight up dairy that even has a tangy note like cream cheese or sour cream, not off putting in any way just an aspect of the dairyness of this oil. Kinda neat to capture so much dairy out of a woods oil. Its like a custardy, creamy scent devoid of any butter. After a while the oil changes and its like a pile of mysore chips on an elec heater on low heat, a scent you can breath in if you reach with your nostrils but disappears if you look for it at the skin. the scent seems to be a contrast to the cream as, its very dry, hot even but, not powdery in any way, light and airy hanging out about 2 feet off the skin. When outside or moving about the waves of scent or wonderfully more pronounced. waves of cream, then chips on the heater, its switching back and forth. The mysore sandalwood note seems more easier to find over ByakudanNo.1, and even though theres a bit of a resiny smell at the bottle like Byakudan its not there when applied to my skin. It doesn't seem a strong at the skin as Byakudan but it does hover off the skin and is deff there, much easier to find. What ever you do if you are lucky enough to get some is to wear it on an empty stomach. After about 15 minutes my stomach was growling as it smelled so good.

I'm not that knowledge with sandalwood oil but I try tow oils I always smell spicy smell in first drop does that note usually with any sandalwood oil ?

GLTASN

Some new sandalwood oil reviews:

I had such a hard time trying to decide which of the sandalwood oils to try at Rising Phoenix perfumes. They all sounded so good to me and I have such a hard time making up my mind these days so, I got a bottle of each.

Woody: This seems to be a fine, well rounded sandalwood oil, has all the right notes but, I wish it had a little more power and silage(basically what we want with every oil), still a fine sandalwood oil.

Resiny: I liked this oil a lot. it has a little more depth and is a tad more complex over the woody oil and has a strong cream note.

Its a step higher in strength, silage and even longevity over the woody. Had I not smelled the special reserve, Id be after some of this oil.

Deep and Buttery: This oil is very different from any sandalwood oil Ive ever tried. It comes off more like an oud to me as I didn't pick up any classic sandalwood notes at all(woody,butter,cream,nutty). However that being said, if you like fruity, jammy, nectary ouds you will love this oil as it keeps the top notes all the way through(24hours on my skin) the drydown and even though it didnt smell like oud/agarwood at any time( I half expected it to,lol), I feel like other people will also like the unusualness of this oil. Smells like the sweet jammy notes from a Thia/Crassna oil but, didn't turn rank on my skin after 20 minutes, like every crassna oil does(something to do with my body chemistry.) This is the most powerful of the 4 oils and has a good amount of silage.

Special Reserve 2016: If you are currently looking for some Mysore sandalwood oil then stop what you are doing right now and order a sample! When I first smelled the oil in this bottle I had to immediately set it aside as I had just received 4 oils to try and this I knew was the best at first sniff. After I spent some time with the other oils listed above, I cracked open the bottle again. It seemed too good to be true, this was something special indeed. I have a few nice vintage Mysores and this was much livelier and, with the luscious butter note I crave in a sandalwood oil. It smells like hot woody butter and with a sweetness that keeps me coming back to the bottle for more sniffing. Its almost like that sweet buttery smell at the movies(minus the popcorn) but with more depth. I wanted to tip my head back and pour the bottle all over my chest and bath in its glory. I want, no, I NEED some for mixing/blending, some for wearing in sheens all up my arms, some for a rainy day years into the future and, maybe just maybe, ill pour 3 grams on my chest someday. So happy I finally got around to tring this oil and, I feel stupid for not trying/sampling it earlier. Ive tried a lot of the new artisanal sandalwood oils and this has the most, true to the past scent, of them all. It had replaced my favorite, true to the past, sandalwood oil and I am so happy to have found it. This is it for me, Im done sampling, searching for the perfect vintage style sandalwood oil to satisfy my cravings as, for now as Im 100% in love with this oil!

GLTASN

Please help me date my new find. Its a bottle of sandalwood oil(east India) by the maker, Magnus Mabee and Reynard. Cant seem to find any bottles of theirs with corks to be able to date it. Im guessing since the adds ive seen have caps on the bottles and they are from the 30-40s that this is from 1910-1929. I have never even heard of them before but I know my sandalwood oil and this is, very nice. this oil has the same buttery opening of a fine mysore and then takes a turn towards a perfume with notes very similar to the new Calcadonia oil I got a sample from Rising Phoenix, then its like hot dry mysore chips on a heater. a very fine oil with a certain elegance that my other oils don't have. though not a sillage monster the smooth gracefulness of this oil make it a real treat. Lots of people have vintage frits brothers vintage sandalwood oil but this was the only Magnus Mabee and Reynard I've ever seen!!!! it wasn't till after I bought it I realized it was a 4 oz bottle. looks like the bottle is from 1926 so a good 90 year old vintage swo unlike anything avail today. tried to remove link but forum wont allow so ignore it.

bottle 002.JPG

/monthly_2016_09/58092855a1a5f_bottle002.JPG.e4a2f0a7c6356d056f3f4253787bf282.JPG

joel

I really really love JKs Special Reserve. I have already ordered a Tola. Now he is putting together a bottle of a Mysore Special Reserve for me with a couple of grams of Tibetan musk. What a delightful treasure. His musk and ambergris attars are also to die for. He is sending me a sample of a soon to be released ambergris attar from the legendary Yeti Golden Ambergris.

GLTASN

I really really love JKs Special Reserve. I have already ordered a Tola. Now he is putting together a bottle of a Mysore Special Reserve for me with a couple of grams of Tibetan musk. What a delightful treasure. His musk and ambergris attars are also to die for. He is sending me a sample of a soon to be released ambergris attar from the legendary Yeti Golden Ambergris.
I thought the yeti was a brown ambergris, its what the lady told me when I bought a chunk off it. guess it doesn't matter as its still my fav ambergris except for my stock of sweet marine. I have some yeti tincture of my own making that is phenomenal! Yes, his private reserve SWO is awesome and its why I bought 4 oz of it off ebay,lol.

jalil

Oud bully
GLTASN said:
I thought the yeti was a brown ambergris, its what the lady told me when I bought a chunk off it. guess it doesn't matter as its still my fav ambergris except for my stock of sweet marine. I have some yeti tincture of my own making that is phenomenal! Yes, his private reserve SWO is awesome and its why I bought 4 oz of it off ebay,lol.
what is his name on ebay please?

joel

GLTASN said:
Wow! What an incredible collection. JK also has a 1950s Mysore at $250 for 2g. I haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon.

JK Delapp had an etsy store under the name Phoenix Rising where you can find some of his products, but the musk and ambergris attars as well as the vintage sandalwoods are not listed there.

GLTASN

GLTASN said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mysore-Sandalwood-Oil-/222147590974?hash=item33b9073b3e:g:ifwAAOSwbYZXWbA2

GLTASN

I was able to get a couple sealed Fritzsches.

The National Formulary was pleasant but weak, has a nice caramel undertone especially sniffed from the bottle. It was not thick.

The USP was a thick oil with tons of Santalol, better than the Double Super of Ham Firl.

Both are awesome though, nice to have vintage stuff.