Mr.P

oud<3er
just curious - how do you all handle burning / heating sandalwood? For me, I love the top notes but there is always a kind of harsh burnt wood bitterness that takes over more quickly than I'd like. I wish there was a way to really amplify the top notes and repress the burnt ones. I guess the way to do this is with larger amounts of wood at lower temperatures - not directly on coals. Sandalwood has always been a tough one when it comes to fumigation/ burning. Heating it monkoh style works beautifully but does not fill the environment.

Unfortunately, high temp just doesn't work. I've tried powders and sinking chips, but slow and low is the only way to go. You won't fill a room though, unless you have 3 heaters going at the same time. Now with some incense sticks, they do a decent job of filling a room, but the burn rate has to be just right, or it will get a bit harsh. I find that the thinner premium sandalwood sticks do better than thicker ones, it seems thicker means hotter unless you throw some charcoal powder into the mix like Gyokushodo. I imagine a good trail in ash could do well also with the right mix. I will be making some incense powders, but they will be designed for heaters on low, therefore for personal appreciation only, not room scenting.

firdaous

Oud Kinamic
just curious - how do you all handle burning / heating sandalwood? For me' date=' I love the top notes but there is always a kind of harsh burnt wood bitterness that takes over more quickly than I'd like. I wish there was a way to really amplify the top notes and repress the burnt ones. I guess the way to do this is with larger amounts of wood at lower temperatures - not directly on coals. Sandalwood has always been a tough one when it comes to fumigation/ burning. Heating it monkoh style works beautifully but does not fill the environment. [/quote']
Very good question, my golden lotus electric burner simply doesn't work with my sandalwood chips !

GLTASN

I use my golden lotus for sandalwood chips. I remove the dish and lay the chip right on the heating element, no mica sheet either. set heat to 160 for an hour then crank it up all the way(250f) for an hour then flip the chip for a sudden burst of fragrance for another hour. I use mine in my basement room about 12x12foot space.

When I burn my powder I use about a gram of powder on some foil and pinch it with my fingers to make a tiny pressed mound. light the edges and when theres a nice cherry ill add a sliver of wood and cover it with more powder, sit back and enjoy.

Pics are: 1 chips on heater, 2 my spent chip jar, 3, 1 hour powder burning wheel(DIDNT WORK) im going to try and pack it and turn it over to see if that works but haven't gotten to it yet. 4 mound of powder burning.

GLTASN said:
I use my golden lotus for sandalwood chips. I remove the dish and lay the chip right on the heating element, no mica sheet either. set heat to 160 for an hour then crank it up all the way(250f) for an hour then flip the chip for a sudden burst of fragrance for another hour. I use mine in my basement room about 12x12foot space.
When I burn my powder I use about a gram of powder on some foil and pinch it with my fingers to make a tiny pressed mound. light the edges and when theres a nice cherry ill add a sliver of wood and cover it with more powder, sit back and enjoy.

Pics are: 1 chips on heater, 2 my spent chip jar, 3, 1 hour powder burning wheel(DIDNT WORK) im going to try and pack it and turn it over to see if that works but haven't gotten to it yet. 4 mound of powder burning.
GLTASN, I've been using my Lotus with the lovely pieces you sent me! I however, do use a super thin sheet of mica, that I separate myself, from the thicker sheets I buy on Etsy. I use the mica simply to make sure I don't get any residue on the burner... though this may not be necessary with sandalwood as it is with agarwood. I'm scenting a space about 150 sq. feet, and the aroma is strong enough to waft out the door :)

GLTASN

GLTASN said:

Yep, I use mica for agarwood but not nesc for sandalwood(no resin oozing out). I used to use a thin sheet but it really blocks the heat so to finish the piece off and get every last drop of essence take out the sheet. use again for the next piece. glad you like the chips!

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Wanted to share an illustration of the similarities and differences between Red Meat Yunnan and Red Meat Mysore...

Yunnan on the Left

Mysore on the Right

The shine the Mysore has looks more oily

The shine the Yunnan has looks more Resinous

Hard to tell how old this Yunnan log is since the year lines aren't showing so well cutting by handsaw - but it's only half of the diameter. If you look up a few posts, you can see just how big it is - wider than the width of my palm at the widest point.

This was a crazy old tree. Wouldn't be surprised if 200+ years old given the size of this log

IMG_0536.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 363

Santal Claus

True Ouddict
Those are beautiful sandalwood pics! As I told @Habz786, I am going to post a comparison of some of my sandalwoods. Rather than make anyone guess, I will just identify them. I will start on the bottom left and go clockwise. All of these are fragrant, but they vary in their projection. The first is very good quality S. album from India. It is fragrant, creamy and delicious. The next is S. album from Indonesia. This one is older, as if it was ground into powder decades ago, but it still retains a beautiful scent. The next is also S. album from Indonesia, but from a younger tree, if my nose does not deceive me. It is good, but not great. The top left is S. album from the Australian plantations. It has a classic Indian sandalwood scent, but it is not strong. I believe @RisingPhoenix said there is a popcorn scent. I get that scent from most sandalwoods, and this one is no exception, the note becoming pronounced when burnt. The top right is S. paniculatum from Hawaii. The quality is good, but it is has low projection until heated. Not in the same category as S. album, but better than S. spicatum. Second from right top is Osyris lanceolata. It has a sandalwood scent, but there is something else there not present in the Santalum genus. I don't prefer it, but it is nice to have some on hand for a change of olfactory pace. The third from the right top is a Mysore chip from one of the Japanese incense houses. Also fragrant, but this one has that anise and cinnamon scent so often found in the oldest and highest quality sandalwood. Finally, I saved the worst for last. The bottom right is young sandalwood from India. It smells like sandalwood, but covered up with a thick blanket of nothingness. Pine sawdust might be more enjoyable. I like to call this "crap." It probably has some use, but I haven't discovered it yet. I do like how it finely ground, though. I have a bunch more different powders and slices, so maybe I can do more countries and species on another occasion. Happy weekend to all.

Attachments

• 20171209_145023.jpeg
    20171209_145023.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 369

Rai Munir

Musk Man
It reminded of the days gone with the wind.
Mysore Sandal, every inch Mysore Sandal, I got from a friend. Actually he sent to me a log that his relative had for the last two decades approximately.

It wasn't fragrant at all when I got that log, but the moment I sawed that, Sandaleen fission and fusion was there.

Now these chips to fumigate the house in this sacred month.

IMG20210405172904.jpg

IMG20210405155637.jpg

IMG20210423141447.jpg