Bilalw

Oud Fan
oudi.JPG oud.JPG i recently bought some samples from a new to me vendor. They claim this ( the single vial pic or second from the left in multi pic) is .25 ml . as far as i know, the vial is 1 ml is it not?

Last edited:

Bilalw

Oud Fan
i think if i did the math properly, the bottle is actually 1.7 ml and not 1 as i was informed? according to math, it would seem that the sample is indeed 0.25 ml after taking into account thickness of glass. i was mislead that the bottle is 1 ml in the first place which caused my questioning.

Last edited:

Bilalw

Oud Fan
Salamulikum Bilal, looks right on the dot , my samples I give out are in the range of .20 - .30 and looks the same
wa alaikum salam waratmatullahi wabarakatahu true and good eye! the 1 ml bottle description confused me.

Looks about right to me, whos the vendor? Maybe ask them how they measure weight or to do a .25 sample on scale and show you it.
correct! I will not name the vendor.

It doesn't look .25 ml to me either:(

it doesnt when you consider the bottle 1 ml, but i think its actually 1.7 and the maths seem to say it is indeed 0.25! :)

The bottle on the far right is probly exactly 1ml when dipstick and glass is considered.

Last edited:

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
This is from us, the measures are correct and we use a graduated pipette which cost $120, same as used in laboratories.
Also brother, as Faheem got your order wrong we sent you 0.3ml of the mxv again and 0.2 ml konbaung at no cost. Please ask anyone on here if we have deceived them or taken their money unjustly.
The bottle we use is narrower so may look longer but holds the same as the fatter shorter one.

I've used am insulin syringe with 0.2ml in it to show what it looks like, and a video so I can't falsify:

Last edited:

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
Should keep the camera parallel to the vial otherwise the angle will make it look even lesser. In general, samples from a few vendors dry out fastest. It would be best in the interest of both parties if plastic recovery vials are used. They have measurement scale. I have 1.5 year old samples from a distiller which had 0.2ml oils and its not a drop is missing. Absolutely fantastic. No hassles with oils getting wasted.

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
Should keep the camera parallel to the vial otherwise the angle will make it look even lesser. In general, samples from a few vendors dry out fastest. It would be best in the interest of both parties if plastic recovery vials are used. They have measurement scale. I have 1.5 year old samples from a distiller which had 0.2ml oils and its not a drop is missing. Absolutely fantastic. No hassles with oils getting wasted.

Right at the end I've moved it down to be level to you can see how much it contains.
Plastic v vials are extremely difficult to use as no stick, storage is very difficult too. We have experimented with many vials etc and this is the best most preferred by all.
Samples drying out means oxidation? You won't loose quantity unless there was water in there or storing at extremely high temperature

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
Right at the end I've moved it down to be level to you can see how much it contains.
Plastic v vials are extremely difficult to use as no stick, storage is very difficult too. We have experimented with many vials etc and this is the best most preferred by all.
Samples drying out means oxidation? You won't loose quantity unless there was water in there or storing at extremely high temperature
Nope its not the most preferred. Its cost effective and easy to acquire. Plastic vials are always safer for transit too. The lids of the plastic recovery vials are very tight so oxidation is not a big problem. I did see what you tried to bring the camera down but it wasnt parallel. Makes a difference brother. Try it. It was merely a suggestion. Some vendors send samples in clothed pouches. Thats the deadliest. My samples have leaked too and were only replenished after a year maybe. Previous requests were ignored. Science is practicality not theory. Cheers.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
I think these 1ml vials work well mainly due to the dipstick issue. Usually a sample is purchased to try an oil before a full bottle purchase. In this case the sample should be tried right away to get an idea of the scent before o2 takes its toll. If samples are being purchased for a library reference and to keep the scent intact then using/transfering to a v vial is a good idea to avoid o2. I don't see any vendors doing sample v vials and im sure this is maybe because it isnt practical or the demand isnt there from customers. By v vials i mean the proper v vials not the annoying little plastic thingys.

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Nope its not the most preferred. Its cost effective and easy to acquire. Plastic vials are always safer for transit too. The lids of the plastic recovery vials are very tight so oxidation is not a big problem. I did see what you tried to bring the camera down but it wasnt parallel. Makes a difference brother. Try it. It was merely a suggestion. Some vendors send samples in clothed pouches. Thats the deadliest. My samples have leaked too and were only replenished after a year maybe. Previous requests were ignored. Science is practicality not theory. Cheers.

Hmmmm... I personally don’t like plastic v-vials (you’re on about those conical tiny plastic vials). I couldn’t use them myself if sending samples out. I always use glass vials. Ideally I’d like to be able to find glsss vials that hold 0.3g maximum. Also, the use of volume can be misleading - better to use mass.

I find them fiddly to open and the oil comes out when you exert force in opening them and awkward to store upright - impossible in fact. The only good thing is that they contain less air.

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
I think these 1ml vials work well mainly due to the dipstick issue. Usually a sample is purchased to try an oil before a full bottle purchase. In this case the sample should be tried right away to get an idea of the scent before o2 takes its toll. If samples are being purchased for a library reference and to keep the scent intact then using/transfering to a v vial is a good idea to avoid o2. I don't see any vendors doing sample v vials and im sure this is maybe because it isnt practical or the demand isnt there from customers. By v vials i mean the proper v vials not the annoying little plastic thingys.

Yes exactly. I think you can get 0.3ml glass v-vials, but they aren’t cost effective for vendors to give out.

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
Hmmmm... I personally don’t like plastic v-vials (you’re on about those conical tiny plastic vials). I couldn’t use them myself if sending samples out. I always use glass vials.

I find them fiddly to open and the oil comes out when you exert force in opening them and awkward to store upright - impossible in fact. The only good thing is that they contain less air.
A bigger sample glass vial will have a bigger base so yes it favours more oxidation. Problems keeping them upright. Just use a piece of thermocol make holes no problem they wont even budge a little. They dont break even if they fall so users like me living in other continents cannot have heart attacks :). You can use a plastic toothpick. You can sample till the last drop. If you want I can share a NO strings attached picture showing the current situation of samples bottles from different vendors. But, it could turn out a bit embarassing for some respected vendors here :). About the ease of sampling from glass vials LOL thats not a screw cap. I hate to twist and turn those plastic caps. Its a headache. Those recovery vials are not cheap bisleri grade 0.099 USD plastic material. Those are scientific grade material used for research etc.

Nikhil S

Resident Reviewer
They are too expensive. I am sure a cheaper alternative could be had with some innovative measures. Ask a vial making company maybe to custom design it in bulk. Each of these samples cost a lot....a lot.....a bit of innovation will help us all and get rid of the sampling blues. Cheers

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk

I'll take another picture asap. The plastic vials we tried before around 2 years ago and they didn't go down well. To send oils in the glass v vials used in gas chromatography is price prohibitive especially for the cheaper oils. There is a thread on this forum where a show of hands was done and people decided to opt for the vials we use. I think Omar from @ParadiseofOils started it.
@Nikhil S please pm me with your address and I'll personally make sure your samples are replenished. As I've mentioned before we do this as a hobby as we love Oud, everyone here at Imperial have other jobs and if one or two cases of bad customer service have taken place then I apologise profusely. Mistakes can happen and we are only human.
In fact to anyone here who feels we have delivered sub par customer service please pm me with your concerns. @Ouddict you can send me a gift of $1000 and I will gift you all the samples you want :D