Rksons

Discussion in 'Agarwood' started by Mr.P, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Got the sandalwood oil! Very pleasantly surprised! While it cannot compete with my old hydrodistilled oils, it is an excellent oil, a cut above the Sri Lanka stuff. Reminds me a little of Aussie plantation oil but a bit richer. I’d say two thumbs up especially at $40 for 20ml! Nice strong santalol note smelling the bottle, smooth creamy slightly nutty top note, smooth fuzzy sandalwood heart!

Oudamberlove and Arsalan like this.
  2. Mr.P

Update on the rksons sandalwood.

it really reminds me of Aussie plantation santalum album. It smells “young” somehow but still has some good classic sandalwood notes.

while it has a lovely dry-down, it doesn’t perform like my older hydro oils. My best sandalwoods really unfolds over the course of many hours, and eventually settle to a sublime woody base that lasts at least 12-18 hours. This oil fades more quickly. My guess is this is high in alpha santalol but not so high in beta santalol.

3. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Just placed an order...
    I use sandalwood oil as an aftershave so wouldn’t mind a lighter scent, long as it is a pure sandalwood oil...
    Will update once it arrives...

4. Edward jay Bullock

Edward jay Bullock True Ouddict

You will be stoked as a heavy user I understand . The scent is not light but a nice strong scent

Arsalan likes this.
  5. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

6. Mr.P

I have some questions about some offerings. They have a rose de mai absolute, 10ml for $5. This is well past the “too good to be true” line isn’t it? I have to ask Amit what’s up with this pricing.

Many things on this page seem unlikely:

https://www.essentialoilscompany.com/collections/absolutes

Blue lotus, gardenia, Cassie absolute at 10 ml for $5?

7. Edward jay Bullock

I am unfamiliar with prices on a lot of oils .
    I do know mass produced oils are usually cheap and dirty and never the highest quality
    That being said EOC sandalwood oil is very decent and supper cheap

8. Mr.P

Agreed

9. Mr.P

The sandalwood is growing on me... there are some subtle aspects to the top note that are interesting to me - reminiscent of an amalgam of various billets i have sampled over the years. It marries elements of some of my favorite woods with some I considered merely mediocre but acceptable when burned. Still, those favorable notes are there in a subtle way... the dry down is also quite decent. Not very strong - but after applying this for a couple of days, a very nice warm sandalwood base seemed to emerge on my skin and my sweaters, jackets, etc.. In my best sandalwoods, a small swipe carries through to an intense woody sheen the next day. This oil takes a little more to build up this wonderful aura but when it does, it is a very good one indeed! This is a great oil to apply to garments, your beard, wallet, etc. even if it takes more oil to build the effect.

this oil DOES remind me why I love sandalwood, and at freaking $60 an ounce... it’s shortcomings are more than made up for. I will be glad to use some now, and also to have this in a decade when my better oils are gone.

Please don’t buy any quantity based on this review though! I am not familiar with the recent artisanal sandalwoods - literally haven’t smelled any other than two small batch artisanal oils in my collection that I bought in 2002 and 2001. I have no idea how this oil compares to anyone here’s experience with sandalwood oil.

So, get a sample but note that $20 gets you a 10ml sample!!

Arsalan likes this.
  10. Edward jay Bullock

I think it’s descent and used it for my first musk maceration. I chose the 100ml size at that price and feel it was a great deal.

11. Mr.P

Yeah I was very tempted but can’t spend $200 on sandalwood. I have about 30ml though and that will serve.

12. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Thanks for suggesting this @Mr.P & for your impressions @Edward jay Bullock.
    Mine arrived a few days ago, after multiple wears I am very happy with it! Excellent sandalwood for the price!

Edward jay Bullock likes this.
  13. Mr.P

It will grow on you.

Arsalan likes this.
  14. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Already has! Some more on the way... :Thumbsup:

Promote Oud!