Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
Radiant Chypre
36636736_1968655366780868_7610995310541668352_n.jpg

This is my first attempt to make a proper floral bouquet within the chypre framework. Although it looks quite dark, the florals in it are all about uplifting the mood of the wearer - mainly me and my better half - my lovely guinea pig!

It begins with a simple bergamot with a super smooth nutmeg absolute, and then further mellowed by butter CO2 - a very lovely stuff that smells like a cross between ghee (clarified butter) and a 100% butter. It also eases us into the floral bouquet which is assisted by lot of base materials, none of which takes away the centre stage from the floral bouquet that I’m trying to create in this chypre.

Neroli and orange blossom absolute takes over from the bergamot – slowly taking it towards a sweeter spectrum. There is a lot of red champaca, gardenia and rose (otto and abs) in it – a lot! I like the heady interaction between gardenia and red champaca, whilst the Persian rose otto lends its ‘green creaminess’ and the Turkish rose provides a more floral intensity. Lavender abs and jasmine sambac evokes freshness and indoles respectively in this floral andante. As usual civet’s impact is quite influential – the marginal benefit of having and adding some civet is just too big to avoid!

In the dry down I can detect leathery sweetness from a Chittagong oud and animalics (from castoreum and hyrax) and dryness from tobacco, which seem to go quite nicely with two ouds and buddha wood – improving the overall radiancy of the attar. I used a white ambergris to open up the spectrum. Interestingly, I can detect this sea-gold from the bottle (smell of fresh sea breeze), but not on my skin. However, it serves its main purpose – diffusion of other oils for longer time, especially florals.

There is a glaring omission in this chypre - labdanum. As much as I love it, it can take over from almost every strong/base material, let alone from the relatively soft florals I have used in it. But the sweetness, leather, and musky notes are taken care of very nicely by tobacco, Thai oud, and two hays, ambrette seeds - albeit with less intensity.

I used two hay oils – one adding a slightly sweet hay note (similar to the one I get from Thai Honey) and the other adding a slightly toffee like honey notes - thus slight reducing the astringency (dryness) further that is coming from oakmoss, myrrh and tobacco. The frankincense, myrrh and benzoin add some depth, without drawing attention away from the central theme. I had to be quite careful as adding too much of these resins can move it towards a more incense-oriented attar (may be that’ll be my next one). Finally, it has a gorgeously creamy sandalwood oil in its base, distilled from 75+ years old trees from Karnataka.

The best part of this attar is that the orris resinoid and oakmoss stays from the top to the dry down with various intensities whilst interacting with various florals – mostly playing like a cello/violin in the fore- and back-ground, along with a sweet and powdery ambrette seed absolute from France. BTW, this oakmoss is the full-on classic one, not that IFRA-compliant simpleton.

I asked my wife what word does pop into her head when she wore it for the first time – dark, radiant, woody or sweet. She said ‘radiant’ and I felt the same way! Hence the name and the attar in its current stage – a floral bouquet.

Time to let it age for few weeks. Thank you for reading such a long and annoying description (I really did not want to delete the text) lol. In the mean time, please feel free to suggest any tweaks.

NOTES
Top:
Bergamot, Butter CO2, nutmeg abs.
Heart: Gardenia, J. sambac abs, lavender abs, neroli, orange blossom abs, Persian rose otto, red champaca, and Turkish rose abs.
Base: Ambrette seed abs, Austrian and Spanish hays, benzoin, buddha wood, castoreum, civet abs, frankincense, hyraceum, myrrh CO2, orris resinoid (22% iron), oakmoss abs (non-IFRA), sandalwood (S. India), Thai Honey (Le Maison Khenata, 2017), and Chittagong (2016) [two ouds], tobacco, vanilla abs, and white/grey ambergris (s. albam macerated).

Last edited:

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Its colour is mature.

But that much ingredients:(. Once I was of the view that attar is meant to be the blend of two or three oils. Now I have to change, and I myself will go to mix more than ten ingredients.

But, there is a big problem: Acquiring top quality ingredients. Oud is Okay. Santal is Okay. But the rest if acquired from the sellers who sell in bulks, the quality is compromised. And I am sure about it that even if Hindustan 1 is blended in a little bit low grade essential oil, the result will be low grade scent. But I will go for that as I have some a decade old oils.

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
I get bored very easily with single oils - sometimes even with ouds. Ever since I started buying single oils, I am able to detect lot more nuances and notes in attars/perfumes and single oils including ouds. Though it is quite nice, I now seek out more complex and dark attars, especially the ones in which I cannot figure out most of the oils. I like the challenge and the pleasure of finding things out. This is another reason I like love attars of Sultan Pasha and Abdullah.

As for getting rare oils, it is quite a challenge. I get most of them from Hermitage Oils. Within EU they're the best - in terms of price and service for DIY, small scale indie perfumers as they sell from very small to large amount, including samples of most oils.

There are few more within EU and USA, but I haven't bought from them yet - equally respected but more expensive or not very convenient to get. I have the same problem when getting things from India.

As for whom I trust, I take informed decisions based on reviews from long term and more importantly, honest and knowledgeable forum members from here, gaharu, basenotes and fragrantica and personal conversations with some highly respected perfumers. In short I only buy things from those vendors who have immaculate reputation and are highly recommended.

Last edited:

Mellifluence

Oud Fan
I just got the samples today. Thanks so much Ashfaque.
With regards to many ingredients, i started off with a small selection, but after learning more and researching, i find i can make much more complex and interesting attars with more ingredients, it really depends on what the aim is and how the scent develops and what it needs.
I agree with Rai also, some limited high quality ingredients can also be perfect, but as this is an art, eaxh person finds what is most suitable for their pallette.
Certain artists use a limited spectrum for a particular effect, while others use a wide spectrum to achieve another effect.
I find it is best to experiment in both fields to observe what effects occur.

With regards to this scent i found it very pleasing, it is ny second favourite after Incense Tsunami.

First impressions are the initial aroma is as you say is a radiant bouquet of warm florals, to my nose the rose and lavender greet me first with a blossoming fragrant display, the bergamot and civet follow with a warm and waxy glee.
The labdanum is indeed subtle and merges with the hay and ouds.

On the skin the waxy floral aroma is sublime, the ambergris brings the rose and lavender together along with the other florals creating a lofty and regal unique floral note.
It gives me the feeling of a classy feminine floral with beautiful depth and transitions.
I am impressed with my first sniffs and swipe.

Thanks so much Ashfaque. You make some wonderful oils.

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
I just got the samples today. Thanks so much Ashfaque.
With regards to many ingredients, i started off with a small selection, but after learning more and researching, i find i can make much more complex and interesting attars with more ingredients, it really depends on what the aim is and how the scent develops and what it needs.
I agree with Rai also, some limited high quality ingredients can also be perfect, but as this is an art, eaxh person finds what is most suitable for their pallette.
Certain artists use a limited spectrum for a particular effect, while others use a wide spectrum to achieve another effect.
I find it is best to experiment in both fields to observe what effects occur.

With regards to this scent i found it very pleasing, it is ny second favourite after Incense Tsunami.

First impressions are the initial aroma is as you say is a radiant bouquet of warm florals, to my nose the rose and lavender greet me first with a blossoming fragrant display, the bergamot and civet follow with a warm and waxy glee.
The labdanum is indeed subtle and merges with the hay and ouds.

On the skin the waxy floral aroma is sublime, the ambergris brings the rose and lavender together along with the other florals creating a lofty and regal unique floral note.
It gives me the feeling of a classy feminine floral with beautiful depth and transitions.
I am impressed with my first sniffs and swipe.

Thanks so much Ashfaque. You make some wonderful oils.

Thanks a lot. I'm flattered that you liked them. I'm grateful to everyone who has helped me in my hobby - namely you, Sultan, @F4R1d0uX , @Al Shareef Oudh and a few more very helpful people. Alhamdulillah!

BTW, I did not use labdanum in RC. Probably it the combination benzoin, vanilla and the creamy sandalwood. So I'm somewhat glad that it managed to trick your nose like that. lol

I'm hoping to make two more in the coming 1-2 weeks - one of them will be a floral. I will try my best to avoid pilling on resins in the base of it! :Barefoot::rolleyes::D