• IMPORTANT NOTICE: DURING THIS MONTH, WE WILL BE MAKING MANY CHANGES TO OUDDICT AND SOME WILL INVOLVE EITHER TAKING THE SITE OFFLINE OR THE REMOVAL OF FEATURES. PLEASE BEAR WITH US WHILE WE TRY AND IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE PROVIDED BY THIS SITE TO ITS VALUED MEMBERS, THANK YOU.

Questions about Sandalwood Profiles and Stored Temperature

Singularious

Oud Beginner
Hey everyone!

Just received some more amazing goodies from Ulugbek at MiskuAmber. He took really good care of me, and now I have my first ever gram of musk grains.

I plan to start two small maceration batches and one tincture this weekend, based on the wonderful and generous advice here.

But I have two questions:

1. I know most of you are using Mysore oil for your macerations. But is there a particular oil profile, scent wise, that you prefer? More neutral? Lactonic? Varnish? Why do you choose the sandalwood you do for your "recipe"?

2. I have seen many references to heating macerations. What are the thoughts about storing a maceration in a location that is hot, but rarely exposed to sunlight? e.g. My garage/car storage/car hole? <‐ I don't know how this term translates for all of us. :) Will it be helpful or harmful to store here? It usually gets to about 95F/35C at peak heat, and then returns to around 78F/26C in the evenings.

Thanks so much and looking forward to my first experiments!

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
I don’t mind the heat! Alittle bit doesn’t hurt at all. I do believe that applying gentle heat helps to macerate the scent. If we think about ancient perfumery in the Arabic world and Indian world, temperatures were pretty intense.

In my experience some sandalwoods have a neutral profile and those seem to work beautifully. Experimentation is really fun and I’m no expert but if you’re looking for a strong musk scent I think a 1:1 ratio does the trick. A 1:4 ratio seems to be the sweet spot although 1:8 still provides results.

Al Shareef Oudh

Resident Artisan
Hey everyone!

Just received some more amazing goodies from Ulugbek at MiskuAmber. He took really good care of me, and now I have my first ever gram of musk grains.

I plan to start two small maceration batches and one tincture this weekend, based on the wonderful and generous advice here.

But I have two questions:

1. I know most of you are using Mysore oil for your macerations. But is there a particular oil profile, scent wise, that you prefer? More neutral? Lactonic? Varnish? Why do you choose the sandalwood you do for your "recipe"?

2. I have seen many references to heating macerations. What are the thoughts about storing a maceration in a location that is hot, but rarely exposed to sunlight? e.g. My garage/car storage/car hole? <‐ I don't know how this term translates for all of us. :) Will it be helpful or harmful to store here? It usually gets to about 95F/35C at peak heat, and then returns to around 78F/26C in the evenings.

Thanks so much and looking forward to my first experiments!
1. People tend to use sandalwood as it is a decent carrier oil with a reasonable price. Thus making it affordable. Also it has a unique tendency to accept the apple/pear note well from the musk.
If money wasn't an issue Oudh is the ideal medium for musk maceration.

2. The ideal temperature would be mammal body temperature, this is for the maceration and not the harvested pod. The pod and grains should be stored in a cooler dry place.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
I usually have at least two bottles of oil/musk on my person when out walking. I find it therapeutic to have glass turning in my hand while walking. Heat is gentle in its approach. Nothing extreme.