5MeO

So, in transferring my precious sample size qty of "Shano Shokat"(AA) to a .1ml v-vial, I got some water in the sample vial. This happened as I like to warm up oils before transferring them because it lowers the viscosity, making it easier for them to go into the v-vial. Anyway, I got some water in the sample vial.

So now, in the v-vial, I have a tiny bit of water at the bottom, with the .15g of Shano Shokat as the top layer. In terms of volume, the water layer looks like about 1/10th of the vertical volume. Will having this bit of water as the bottom layer of the oud affect the scent profile over time?

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
The other thing you can do is get a fine gauge needle and syringe and pull out the water, something like 24g.

ParadiseofOils

True Ouddict
@5MeO

This is a sign that the oil was not cured properly and there was a higher percentage of moisture in the oil.

You can let the lid open and leave it in the sunlight for a couple of days and the water will disappear.

moisture in the bottle creates a undesired smell, so it is best to get rid of it by either lamping it or sunlight.

Thumbs up for this method! Probably better than the needle and syringe, just because its such a minimal amount, you don't want to lose any of the oil into the syringe.

Also in reply to Al Shareef Oudh's post, I don't think its the fact the oil wasn't cured properly. The oil is perfectly cured. 5meo say's he was heating up the oil with water and "he" got the water into the oil, not that the water was there in the first place. :)

Last edited:

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
@ParadiseofOils

When an oil 'splits' with application of heat, it hasn't been cured properly. A fully cured oil will not split in application of heat, by heat I refer to ~45-50 C, which is below the extraction temperature of the oil, and around the temperature you would expect in Saudia Arabia, Qatar, Dubai, Oman etc in Summer.

Knowing 5MeO he is very particular about how he cares for his oils, so when he says heat, he is probably referring to slightly warming it. @5MeO how much did you heat it up to?

I had wrote regarding this in detail on Basenotes, oils need to be cured to ensure they do not split in the environments that they will be exposed. For example temperatures on average in summer in Saudi Arabia is in the 40s. If an oil splits in that temperature then it was not cured properly. Which indicates there is a higher percentage of water in the oil thus making the oil unstable and prone to splitting.

The challenge for distillers is to ensure they cure the oil by simulating the peak of the regions where they do business. The same with woods, woods that are dried in South East Asia, will have a higher water content than those that are dried in the Gulf.

5MeO

Hi all, yes indeed, I got water in the oil by accident - basically, I steep the oil in a hot water bath for about a minute prior to transferring - in bath the vial tipped over and into the water bath whilst the cap was off, and some water got in before I frantically snatched it out of there (decent kinesthetics).. So, it was my fault..