Lupin fox

Oud Fan
Hey guys,

So you know how Kyarazen has the tea wheel that outlines the different types of tea and its scent/taste profiles.
I am wondering if there is anything like that with agarwood?

Something that outlines each breed and region and the differences in notes, that is all together in one place (or as few as possible) as a reference material to look at whilst heating wood, so that I can understand each type in more depth. As we all smell things slightly different. i.e someone may say something smells like pepper....but what type? black/green/pink/ sczechuan.
I want to make sure that I am not missing out on certain notes because I am not tuning my brain to them.

I know they have them outlining Kyara and Kinnam but I have not found a reference chart that groups the main types together of agarwood.

I make notes and always have a notebook and pen by me when doing anything with scents but it would be handy to have something that is outlined by someone with a lot more knowledge and experience than me.

Anyway hopefully someone can point me towards some good reference material.
Any books suggestions on the subject (English translations if possible) are also welcome.
Thank you.

Hey guys,

So you know how Kyarazen has the tea wheel that outlines the different types of tea and its scent/taste profiles.
I am wondering if there is anything like that with agarwood?

Something that outlines each breed and region and the differences in notes, that is all together in one place (or as few as possible) as a reference material to look at whilst heating wood, so that I can understand each type in more depth. As we all smell things slightly different. i.e someone may say something smells like pepper....but what type? black/green/pink/ sczechuan.
I want to make sure that I am not missing out on certain notes because I am not tuning my brain to them.

I know they have them outlining Kyara and Kinnam but I have not found a reference chart that groups the main types together of agarwood.

I make notes and always have a notebook and pen by me when doing anything with scents but it would be handy to have something that is outlined by someone with a lot more knowledge and experience than me.

Anyway hopefully someone can point me towards some good reference material.
Any books suggestions on the subject (English translations if possible) are also welcome.
Thank you.
An Agarwood Wheel would be nice.
A real good one would probably require a collaboration by those in the trade from
different areas.

JAM

Oud Beginner
What a good idea .... a smelling guide. Please let me know if you find anything.

I've been playing around with my new subitism heater for the last few weeks. It is a beautiful device that allows a purity and dissemination of fragrance to be extracted from the different wood chips through exact temperature control. However, I maybe a total savage here, I also sometimes like the almost animal, wild, savage aromatic tones that you get from burning an agarwood chip on a good ash covered piece of charcoal.

Last edited:

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
. However, I maybe a total savage here, I also sometimes like the almost animal, wild, savage aromatic tones that you get from a good ash covered piece of charcoal.
Yeah I am presently experimenting with my very own Subitism as well. Am sure I am burning everything to within an inch of its life....but such is learning.....

Lupin fox

Oud Fan
What a good idea .... a smelling guide. Please let me know if you find anything.

I've been playing around with my new subitism heater for the last few weeks. It is a beautiful device that allows a purity and dissemination of fragrance to be extracted from the different wood chips through exact temperature control. However, I maybe a total savage here, I also sometimes like the almost animal, wild, savage aromatic tones that you get from burning an agarwood chip on a good ash covered piece of charcoal.

Yeah I am presently experimenting with my very own Subitism as well. Am sure I am burning everything to within an inch of its life....but such is learning.....

I have also been experimenting with my sub and charcoal.

I have been using a little glass cup/bowl that fits into your hand and can be held directly over the sub helps when learning the notes of a batch of wood/any incense.
If you heat a chip slightly and then hold the cup/bowl over it for a few seconds, then smell the cup as you lift it, you will get a clearer image of the individual notes as they appear.
Then just repeat and you will see the notes slightly change with the heat and will smell some very interesting notes that you did not even realize were there before.

It gives the notes more clarity and I guess in some way lessens the fatigue on your nose from the heat/ any smoke at higher temps.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Very good idea Lupin fox.....I must expand my experiment to include this.....
I have lots of wood and a burner and lots of Oudhs.....
Not sure I can afford a glass.....:Geek:

Lupin fox

Oud Fan
Very good idea Lupin fox.....I must expand my experiment to include this.....
I have lots of wood and a burner and lots of Oudhs.....
Not sure I can afford a glass.....:Geek:
Well it's definitely worth the expense.
And it helps me when I am making notes so I thought I would share.

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
Well it's definitely worth the expense.
And it helps me when I am making notes so I thought I would share.
Oh...I do think it is a very good idea.......I was jesting about not been able to afford a glass...because I have spent all my money on Oudh and Oudh related commodities.....:Roflmao:
I have already used a glass as you mentioned and it has indeed captured the scents....so thank you for sharing

Lupin fox

Oud Fan
Oh...I do think it is a very good idea.......I was jesting about not been able to afford a glass...because I have spent all my money on Oudh and Oudh related commodities.....:Roflmao:
I have already used a glass as you mentioned and it has indeed captured the scents....so thank you for sharing
I know, that is why I was also joking about it being worth the grand expense.........Also glad it has helped.:p