Simply allow a drop of sandalwood oil to oxidize on a plate for about a week’s time, then smell the results.
With this method, I can tell the difference between real sandalwood oil, or fake. Adulterated oils may be more difficult. As for oud oil, I have not tried this method. I would lean towards the assessment of an experienced nose, in this case, an actual distiller would have the advantage.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Well, the experiment I myself did by mixing Oud oils and then a blend. Layers of the oils mixed in the blend appeared in different beds in the water. And one Oud oil kept floating on the surface, but an other Oud oil created different layers.

Putting aside purity of oils, mixing of oils can be detected through it.

I talked to respected Trent, the owner of grandawood, and he himself said so that it is to find out dilution by mixing oils of different grades or carrier oils.

The way respected Farid and respected Curt remarked, nose is the best option. No doubt. But this one- mixing oil into water- is an option too, maybe not the best.

Salahuddin

Oud Beginner
Well, the experiment I myself did by mixing Oud oils and then a blend. Layers of the oils mixed in the blend appeared in different beds in the water. And one Oud oil kept floating on the surface, but an other Oud oil created different layers.

Putting aside purity of oils, mixing of oils can be detected through it.

I talked to respected Trent, the owner of grandawood, and he himself said so that it is to find out dilution by mixing oils of different grades or carrier oils.

The way respected Farid and respected Curt remarked, nose is the best option. No doubt. But this one- mixing oil into water- is an option too, maybe not the best.

Have you tried this experiment with other essential oil like geranium?

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Well, after discussing it with many people, finally I myself decided to have some oils tested through Oil & Water Technique.

The results are interesting, mind boggling, mind blowing, horrible, satisfying, pleasant, discouraging, encouraging, etc.

No harm to adopt it for quick understanding of the oils.

It is not to know if the oil is fake. It is to know if the oil is diluted, mixing of two different grade oils, presence of some chemical, etc.

And I found it much reliable than nose.

Oud Oil 1: Borneo
IMG_20200423_163731.jpg IMG_20200423_163906.jpg IMG_20200423_164129.jpg IMG_20200423_164334.jpg

Sandal Oil:
IMG_20200423_164447.jpg IMG_20200423_164615.jpg IMG_20200423_164805.jpg

Oud Oil 2: Hindi
IMG_20200423_165149.jpg IMG_20200423_165239.jpg IMG_20200423_165434.jpg

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
I’m a bit concerned about this thread and others like it. This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but the forum is meant to spread genuine knowledge about Agarwood. We want and encourage people to post and write, but we have to balance that with making sure that the information is reliable. Otherwise new people will come and read and get confused. I’m not sure what the solution is and we don’t want to start censoring posts, but some sort of quality assurance is needed. It’s something that needs thought.

The people best positioned to answer are those who work with oil and/or wood on a daily basis and have done so for years.

In the meantime folks, please don’t believe everything you read online.

Bigboy

True Ouddict
Rest assured folks , YOUR OILS (IF THEY ARE OILS) ARE NOT, I REPEAT NOT GOING TO SINK IN WATER! I am SO sorry but I have to call bull$hit when I see it. Buyers and collectors can be excused for not knowing.....Anyone distilling oils KNOWS THE IDEA THAT OIL SHOULD SINK IN WATER IS A DAMM LIE! Anyone who had done a distillation in their lives KNOWS this!
Basic science:
ALL OILS FLOAT TO THE TOP BECAUSE THEY ARE LESS DENSE THAN WATER AND A DISTILLER WOULD KNOW THESE BECAUSE IN THE END OF THE DISTILLATION PROCESS ONE NEEDS TO EMPTY THE Hydrsol prior to getting to the good stuff!

Where is my science guy Mr.P when I need him!

Bigboy

True Ouddict
F4R1d0uX8F4R1d0uX, post: 57622, member: 94"]I saw oil stuck at the bottom of the collector[/QUOTE]

Thats an anomaly. Does that mean that all the oil that did not sink is not oud oil? Guess you better throw that out, better yet just send it to me. I'll take care of that fake oil for you.

Also be careful saying saw it with my own eyes" as that sounds like it validates whats being postulated which is that if it does not sink its not oud oil. This is just patently false. You just happen to see something unusual....even if it happens from time to time that could be due to some small.mircoscopic mixture of oil and water in the hydrosol that can mess wirh the density of the hydrosol making it equal in some parts in density to the oil....thats just a theory and nit whats being discussed here. BUT ITS BASIC HIGH SCHOOL SCIENCE THAT OILS FLOAT ON WATER DO TO LOWER DENSITY.

I mean this all with no hostile intent, you know your my guy F4R1d0uX . I just get a little into hulk smash mode when people who are supposed to be an authority on the matter tell buyers dumb stuff that confuses tthem with incorrect information that they should know better. By people I am referring to whoever said this silliness.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Thats an anomaly. Does that mean that all the oil that did not sink is not oud oil? Guess you better throw that out, better yet just send it to me. I'll take care of that fake oil for you.

Also be careful saying saw it with my own eyes" as that sounds like it validates whats being postulated which is that if it does not sink its not oud oil. This is just patently false. You just happen to see something unusual....even if it happens from time to time that could be due to some small.mircoscopic mixture of oil and water in the hydrosol that can mess wirh the density of the hydrosol making it equal in some parts in density to the oil....thats just a theory and nit whats being discussed here. BUT ITS BASIC HIGH SCHOOL SCIENCE THAT OILS FLOAT ON WATER DO TO LOWER DENSITY
I prefer stop answering to the topic people got picture of a fraction, with its hydrosol.

As for languages subtilities just read the whole thread please I don't have time for arguments.

Envoyé de mon MI 8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Bigboy

True Ouddict
I guess my changes did not come across quick enough sorry for that :
I mean this all with no hostile intent, you know your my guy F4R1d0uX . I just get a little into hulk smash mode when people who are supposed to be an authority on the matter tell buyers dumb stuff that confuses tthem with incorrect information that they should know better. By people I am referring to the distiller who said this silliness.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
I guess my changes did not come across quick enough sorry for that :
I mean this all with no hostile intent, you know your my guy F4R1d0uX . I just get a little into hulk smash mode when people who are supposed to be an authority on the matter tell buyers dumb stuff that confuses tthem with incorrect information that they should know better. By people I am referring to the distiller who said this silliness.
In 90% of the time you are right, oil doesn't sink but it can happen.

If it happens and someone made this taste believing it's 100% reliable will make false accusations.

It's not about my oils, actually I'm defending Ensar Oud with this one lol.

Nothing better than CGMS brother and you're welcome, I'm good with hulk mode it's just that I'm not as good as you with English and I can make a clumsy comment because of this hence me preferring not answer.

But we can continue the discussion in private if you want about this topic you're welcome brother.

Envoyé de mon MI 8 en utilisant Tapatalk