1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Pine Resin Tincture

Discussion in 'The Natural Perfumer's Palette' started by Hakim, Feb 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hakim

Hakim Oud Fan

Salam all, I recently made tinctures using the pine resin of some local pine trees. How does one use the resulting tincture in a blend? Scent is nice but it sticks to skin due to tiny resin particles.

2. EJayB

EJayB True Ouddict

When I want to use the local tree sap as an ingredient I steam distill the sap akin to frankincense distillation and I get a no stick oil
    Here is a nice piece of Dry Douglas fir sap image.jpg

Hakim and TDK like this.
  3. TDK

TDK Whats this Oud About?

Jay, Do you tincture first to dissolve the sap, boil off the alcohol and then distill the remnant to eliminate the stick?

4. EJayB

EJayB True Ouddict

I don’t, just grind it up

5. Hakim

Hakim Oud Fan

Would doing this take away some of the compounds found in the sap/resin? Now I'm just leaving it open for the ethanol to escape, fragrant but still leaves a sticky residue on skin.

6. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

The whole purpose of distillation is to separate components of a mixture. So yes, distillation will separate the essential oil from the other compounds in the sticky gum / resin. This is the actual point of distilling.

7. Hakim

Hakim Oud Fan

20200216_191217.jpg 20200216_191230.jpg

Some fossilised chunks of the tropical pine resin which cost me my trekking knife :Cry: centre piece looks somewhat like a heart to me. Not sure what to do with these now :Roflmao:

Oudamberlove, EJayB and Grega like this.
  8. Hakim

Hakim Oud Fan

20200216_191238.jpg

Does this piece look like a koala clinging onto a branch or is it just me o_O

9. Grega

Grega True Ouddict

Totally agree, a cute koala! I would freeze the resin and ground to powder, then you could heat it on charcoal or even on an electric heater. Powder is less sticky, but natural resin is still ok for heating. It would probably smell nice with some frankincense too.

Oudamberlove, Hakim and EJayB like this.

Promote Oud!