Perfumers Alcohol - Where To Get It And Which Kind?

Discussion in 'The Natural Perfumer's Palette' started by bushido, Sep 9, 2019.

1. bushido

bushido Just Arrived

Hi,

I am thinking of diluting some of my oud oils in perfumers alcohol. Of course I would like to try a few drops first before doing anything else.

Does anyone have any advice on:

1. Where to get it?
    2. Any specific type I should look for?
    3. Equipment/tools to use when mixing oil and alcohol?

Thank you in advance!

2. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Moderator Staff Member

Where do you live bushido?

I'm using pure food-grade ethanol, 190 proof. This one:
    5900460000976.jpeg

Around $3 for 1ooml. (In my country.) Available also in 200ml and 500ml bottles. But I prefer smaller ones since it's evaporating quite fast when bottle is frequently opened. There are various brands but I recommend Polmos.

You can get it in alcoholic beverage focused shops.

3. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

I’d avoid perfumers alcohol and go for pure alcohol. In the US at least “perfumers alcohol” is not an improvement over plain alcohol - but just made inedible to satisfy all the taxation requirements

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. bushido

bushido Just Arrived

Hi, thanks for the replies. I live in Sweden where it unfortunately is almost impossible to get hold of pure ethanol. Therefore perfumers alcohol etc if made available to buy in the EU could be a better option.

5. Martin

Martin Oud Novice

I use 190 proof Everclear alcohol and a glass beaker. I just completed an oud based fragrance that I'm quite pleased with.

Bryan-I likes this.
  6. pspd

pspd Whats this Oud About?

Well I get 96% Denatured Ethanol . the best so far I tried.

7. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

All depends on the denaturant. The denatured lab alcohol I have is awful - reeks of methanol. There are specially denatured alcohols for perfume purposes like “sda 39-c”. Each uses a different chemical substance. Bitter, emetic, poisonous, etc..

Promote Oud!