1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Patchouli

Discussion in 'Artisanal Essential Oils' started by Singularious, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Singularious

Singularious Whats this Oud About?

For those that enjoy it, what is the finest aged patchouli you have ever put your nose upon and why?

My bottle of EO has seemingly gone bad (vinegar smell), which is extremely odd to me. Perhaps I have not been as careful as I thought it is has accumulated some bacteria.

Either way, I can't seem to find the same level of nuance and discussion on patchouli as with other oils, and I'm curious if some of the experts here can enlighten me on sources and scent profiles.

2. Royalbengalouds

Royalbengalouds Resident Artisan

Greetings, sorry to hear that your patchouli turned that way, I technically can’t say what the conclusion why your patchouli aged that way but usually if any carrier oil is added then yes it will turn rancid in the future, patchouli has amazing nuances especially the Bangladeshi one border line like Moroccan hashish , will be releasing another batch of aged patchouli but this batch has more floral nuances and is beautiful as is , and Indonesian patchouli has more earthy notes and different regions have different nuances and it grows wild all across south east asia amazing plant it is ☕️

3. Royalbengalouds

As a fisherman also I use patchouli to keep the mosquitoes and deer flies away

Kabir Attars and Imran297 like this.
  4. Singularious

Ish!

Thank you for the reply. And that's very interesting. That's the best smelling insect repellant...ever.

I was wondering when you might have more in your store! The last bottle I got from you was wonderful (it was the Bangladeshi)!

5. Royalbengalouds

6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Hi, Ish:praying:
    Nice to see you after a long long time.

I have used Bangladeshi patchouli oils: one from you and one from Syed Itrat. And I found both excellent.

I acquired a few oils from India as well but they smelt more fatty oils than patchouli.

Would you please mention the adulterants used in patchouli?

7. Taesik Yun

Taesik Yun True Ouddict Staff Member

8. newrealitynow

newrealitynow Whats this Oud About?

Thank you Ish, your patchouli is the best I have ever smelled... alongside your sandalwoods and wild vetiver!

9. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Haven’t smelled Moroccan hash in a long time, since I was in Italy and people were smoking it at a ray Charles concert. In my humble opinion, this is a fantastic fragrance quite different from marijuana in general. I’d love to burn that stuff just for fragrance alone.If your patchouli smelled like this, I’d be tempted to buy a barrel!

I live in Oregon which has less of a puritanical mindset and cannabis is everywhere... but it’s all flower, solvent extracts and distillates and no actual hashish.

10. Singularious

All the "hash" goes into those concentrates, Mr.P! Fresh flash frozen.

Anyway...sometimes I detect almost a flat citrus scent on first application of some patchouli. It tends to burn off quickly, though.

I am a gardener, and may have to try and grow my own next year.

One day, I will scrape together enough to start distilling my own oils. I suspect I've much to learn before then.

Kabir Attars likes this.
  11. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

There is most certainly hash in OR!

Most now just isn't sift hash like the dark or tan hash you are thinking of in Morocco - which isn't the most high quality product. Fwiw, most rosin (pressed buds or hash) has an excellent aroma. The solvent based ones do too actually. And I'm sure you could find sift hash too at most dispensaries. Or just ask any pot head for the kief from his grinder and you could press some up yourself :)

Similar subject - you know what smells even better? Opium latex - now that would be incredible to smell in an attar. The ultimate resin. I'm sure those with access wouldn't exactly be hand raisers here though :) but im sure some folks in your neck of the woods grow some of their own poppy too. It gets a bad rap with everything going on with the opioid crisis but been used for thousands of years - and maybe at one point was used in perfumery?

Kabir Attars likes this.

Promote Oud!