1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Oxidation Of Essential Oils

Discussion in 'Rising Phoenix' started by RisingPhoenix, Jun 25, 2019.

1. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Resident Artisan

2. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

"The vast majority of EO easily tends to oxidize in time. Sensitive compounds slowly ‘’absorb’’ oxygen and turn into other compounds such as peroxides, known to be much reactive and sensitizing (easily give their oxidation state and induce hypersensitivity by repeated exposure) [1,2]. Of course, protecting oils from oxygen (air), light and elevated temperatures usually slows down the oxidation process, but in practice, it cannot be completely prevented."

This is why oils are different from mango pickle that always gets better with age. Volatility is a reality. Therefore, efficacy in terms of avoiding hypersensitivity and experiencing blissful freshness, life span is always there.

3. RisingPhoenix

Of course - oxidation is always bound to happen. Shouldn't send folks into a frenzy, though. As we know - the bulk of what we are all interested in here last for decades (or centuries) with no real issue. Just don't expect to find Lemon oil in Egyptian tombs that you'll want to bathe in. haha

Thought it was an interesting article and worth sharing, as it helps to shed some light on the conversation a few weeks back :)

4. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Nice article, thanks.

"Actually, if we had to choose one and just one analysis to perform on an essential oil, this would probably be the GC."

Rai Munir, EJayB and RisingPhoenix like this.
  5. RisingPhoenix

Of course - it’s the most useful for the industry. Incomplete - but the most useful

EJayB likes this.
  6. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

You know what’s interesting. In the US there is a cannabis industry growing. Extracts are a big deal - distillates, co2, butane extracts etc. 100% of them are individually batch tested and labeled with selected details of results - specific terpene percentages, THC, CBD, pesticides, molds, metals, etc.. The same is true for even a $3 purchase of a joint. You get a test result for that specific batch with a reference to a lab, batch number, etc. the testing is routine and always provided, even by smaller producers. How much does it cost for these business I wonder and is the price coming down as the number of labs doing testing increases? Would it be possible / desirable for the oud industry to pull this off, as a matter of course for something as precious as oud and other high end oils? Is it done already, just not shared with consumers?

Maybe consumers of oud don’t care when it comes down to it.

Take me as an example - in my case I am content to have something that smells fantastic and doesn’t trigger any alarms as far as synthetics or other additives, I never even ask about a gcms.

Hypothetically, if there were two vendors with essentially identical materials (similar quality and range let’s say) and one provided batch-specific testing with every oil and documented and shared the findings, I’d be inclined to purchase from the one with the certificate of analysis. But if someone with a decent reputation comes out with amazing oud at a price I can afford, a lack of GCMS wouldn’t concern me really. I think the cannabis industry is regulated to require it and his created opportunity to set up affordable testing labs? I wonder if these labs could test oud for cheap in the US at least?

Grega and RisingPhoenix like this.
  7. EJayB

EJayB True Ouddict

When I do GC on products ( often ) I sometimes use 2 different companies on the same samples as a reference point. They can be quite different

It is around 550$ per sample for the full board test in the CA cannabis, that includes heavy metal and microbial

Joint are tested 50 pounds at a batch max

Check out the farm at Mountainwisefarms
    Excuse the Shameless promotion of my brand

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
    RisingPhoenix and Rai Munir like this.
  8. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

By the way thanks to RP for consistently trying to elevate the discourse around here.

Thanks Edward. I will check it out. I’m in Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
    Grega, RisingPhoenix and EJayB like this.
  9. RisingPhoenix

My pleasure - happy to share education and information and fun stuff :)

10. RisingPhoenix

Yeah - that’s part of the challenge. $550 into a 50lb batch that yields $XXXXX revenue over a very short period of time, vs the same cost for 12 or 50 or 100mL that yields $x over 6 months or a year or two or three...the expense is hard to justify with such small quantities and long delayed revenues.

Another challenge - like was mentioned - TONS of labs testing CBD extracts with quite established libraries.

Few labs out there with any experience - let alone libraries to allow proper analysis - of Oud.

Something else worth mention - with many EO’s there are standardized parameters of quality. Whole industries aim to hit standard numbers - which tends to homogenize how the oils smell by conforming to a standard.

With artisan Ouds - the idea is to push outside standard scent profiles - which would render standardized parameters a bit useless. And with no comparative libraries… Even more challenging to assess quality.

I’m not saying that these things can’t be done. I am saying that the cost of analyzing thousands of oil’s in an effort to produce some kind of analytical standards is outside of financial feasibility of likely all of us combined.

I must admit it’s a bit challenging talking about this in written message form. When I have a chance to talk to folks about the challenges in person, it seems to make a little bit more sense about the challenges of feasibility on this topic.

EJayB likes this.
  11. EJayB

EJayB True Ouddict

In the cannabis industry we do test they would never need for oud, microbial, heavy metals . Just the GC is cheap, maybe 150-200, would be very useful to identify oils that have been diluted or had additives. I’d be interested to know about pesticides on cultivated oud. So for a bit over 2$ per ml
    Most oils could be tested ,on larger batches it would be less

powdernose likes this.
  12. RisingPhoenix

$300-400 / test here in the US. Only 1 lab that can properly analyze Oud oils here Stateside

13. RisingPhoenix

Where did y
    Where did you get $2/ ml?

Also factor in - it’s not just the cost of the test.

Cost of test + cost of oil + lost revenue that sample would produce

Anyhow - the article was meant to be educational. Hopefully folks can understand why GC’ing small batches isn’t practical

Grega and EJayB like this.
  14. EJayB

EJayB True Ouddict

I agree small batch is not worth testing. Should be close enough to the source at that point to trust the supplier, one would hope

RisingPhoenix likes this.

Promote Oud!