OudNews

Discussion in 'General' started by Ouddict, Dec 2, 2016.

1. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Excellent post Pearl,
    even with my bad English (as someone point it out) I almost got it 100%:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

“business is business” yes but, I just will like to add that Artisanal oud business is wayyyy different than your Microsoft – IBM business.

If you are Artisanal vendor and were able to build well established business with few hundred clients this a very big achievement it shows that you have an excellent business and marketing skills, you will need to respect and treat well every single customer, even the biggest pain in the ass customer.

I do not agree with "The customer is always right" slogan, but in case of the Artisanal oud business is an exception.

Here is a brilliant and one of my favorites quotes from Warren Buffett: It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

kooolaid79, PEARL, Ouddict and 3 others like this.
  2. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Good post my friend, as a seller, and I mention it openly I'm not shy to say to a customer : "you are headache".
    Customer knows it will be said with a certain kindness.

I also won't hesitate to correct someone who repeat a false informaton in public. It's okay if I'm boycoted. I love oud too much ...

Royhalwood, Ouddict, Sproaty and 3 others like this.
  3. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

"you are headache"
    coming from you I will take it as a compliment:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

Ouddict, Sproaty, Joe King and 2 others like this.
  4. F4R1d0uX

Loool yes nobody got vexed at least. Someone headache knows he/she is.
    It's a kind of personality that seller must deal with and most of time I'm pleasured to have long conversations even on other topics.
    A customer can be headache and be a cool individual when it comes to something else than oud :Roflmao:.

5. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

even with headache I assume you respect them and treat them well.
    thought no :mouth:
    :Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

Ouddict, Joe King and F4R1d0uX like this.
  6. MzM

MzM Oud King

Haha I hope he does too. : ))

Ouddict, F4R1d0uX and peter4ptv like this.
  7. F4R1d0uX

Looool ! Of course I have even kind of affection, it's hard to imagine especialy how i introduced myself here in the forum, but I love people in general. If you know me in real life, I'm the kind of individual who will joke with strangers in the streets and talk to any random people.

MzM, Rai Munir, Ouddict and 5 others like this.
  8. bhanny

bhanny Whats this Oud About?

Simply superb. But do be careful around those dubious cereal killers. Captain Crunch simply frightens me.

Ouddict and PEARL like this.
  9. Tarik

Tarik Junior Member

An nafs .

10. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

11. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

I will assume I am the cool customer :Cooler::Laugh::Laugh::p

MzM, F4R1d0uX and Rai Munir like this.
  12. F4R1d0uX

You're both cool customer and gentleman ! But you know it already lol.

I was more talking about headache customer who can be a cool individual out of trade.

What I was ppinting is to not stamp a whole personality just on customer approach.

Joe King, bhanny and MzM like this.
  13. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

I found my thoughts wandering last night and I kept imagining an oud blind test challenge.
    Someone should really get the ball rolling on something like that.
    And not just for the reality check regarding perceived value, but also for the pure thrill of such an exercise,
    I think ouddicts everywhere would love to observe such a challenge and that beyond the educational process, it should reignite a spark in our shared passion.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Rai Munir, Arsalan, jalil and 2 others like this.
  14. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

@powdernose many claim to be objective....this i feel is the only real way and have said so for a long time! Blind testing no story, info or vendor mention.....pure scent and nose.

Arsalan, jalil, Joe King and 2 others like this.
  15. F4R1d0uX

I agree and it needs someone who likes all types of oud and known to be skilled :Thumbsup:

jalil, Joe King and Ouddict like this.
  16. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

Great Idea, it would be an experiment to try out perhaps at the Oud fayre. Each vendor can supply 3 or 4 samples labeled 1 to 4 or a third party person could take samples from each vendor and label them without letting anyone know. Then through the course of the weekend visitors can try the oils and give them a numerical rating...? something along these lines would be very interesting

Nicolas, Oudamberlove, MzM and 6 others like this.
  17. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Rally the troops!! :)

Yes, and beyond the obvious biases that vendor, price, story, suggestion and affiliation might inflict,
    what people may not realise is just how naked and introspective blind testing can be;
    unconscious preconceptions, true olfactory ability, unexpected inclinations, foundation of preference - everything is stripped and challenged.

18. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

In my opinion that would re-introduce some bias.
    A good panel should be a rainbow panel, and, I think, should include one 'virgin' nose.
    Of course you'd want a couple of skilled of noses in there! And in fact, you'd want the reviewers equipped with fine communicative skills.
    But I believe one should also seek experienced ouddicts, regardless of personal oud preferences, and regardless of their command of language.

A great start! And it sounds like it would be fun for the fayre.
    But what I envisioned was an intensive exercise of testing.
    Being at a fayre provides neither the required time to truly test an oud out, nor the necessary solitude to be introspective and analytical.

Woodland Note and Arsalan like this.
  19. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

The challenge is how to do this and be fair? I will have a think as its not very simple, any suggestions from Ouddicts would be welcome. We could have 3 members opt for the blind testing and pay postage, i could pick out random oil from say 4 vendors from my collection and send them out. Or vendors could send me samples they want blind tested i would be happy to offer Habzoud oils. We could have a section created on the forum for the blind testing reviews, results.....

20. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Precisely!

I'd suggest 5 testers.
    One idea is not just an opt in, but actual selection of candidates by the community.
    Another idea I had when I first imagined this, is having secret candidates. You get selected, receive an invitation and opt in or out,
    but are not allowed to tell anyone else you have been approached or are participating until results are posted.

That would depend on the extent of your collection and what knowledge any participant has of the content of your collection.
    Another of my original thoughts was to have a neutral referee send out samples.
    1. The referee receives oils from sources A, B, C...
    2. The referee decides which oils will be part of the trial. Not every oil from the initial pool will be used.
    3. Each participant receives oils with a different numbering. i.e For Participant1 Borneo 50k will be sample no.1, while for Participant2 it will be sample no.3.
    4. Results are posted directly to the forum on agreed date by participants, or to another neutral participant.
    5. The referee collates the results.

@Mod
    Perhaps move related posts to a new dedicated thread,
    if this gathers steam.
    (I hope)

Joe King, Rai Munir, Arsalan and 2 others like this.

Promote Oud!