OudNews

Discussion in 'General' started by Ouddict, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

Wow... @PEARL is back. Finally.

2. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

@PEARL Post of the century :D I love reading your posts, always so thoughtful and intriguing

firdaous, Ouddict and RisingPhoenix like this.
  3. kooolaid79

kooolaid79 Junior Member

Always a pleasure to read and learn from your write ups @PEARL. Your wisdom is always appreciated!

firdaous, Ouddict and RisingPhoenix like this.
  4. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

@PEARL Benvenuti Al Pac :D
    Alleluia:praying:
    Point 3 : Not really sure, IMO the major parts still getting their wood and oils from the Oud street somewhere in Asia or from well known and unscrupulous distillers there...
    Now next challenge for the consumer : training his nose to differentiate inferior and higher quality oils, hope that both are not mixing in the pot for higher margin :D

Sproaty, RisingPhoenix and jalil like this.
  5. jalil

jalil Oud bully

Of the big Pearl :D

RisingPhoenix likes this.
  6. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

Great post @PEARL, thought provoking and a great "shake up"of the forum.
    I think it absolutely vital for the consumer to constantly reevaluate the product, it's in their best interest.

tyson, Rasoul Salehi, Habz786 and 4 others like this.
  7. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Sproaty and RisingPhoenix like this.
  8. Ouddict

Yup... au contraire :Roflmao:

He is definitely back. :)

Looking forward to some genuinely interesting posts that only @PEARL knows how to craft. He has an inimitable style.

9. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Great post brother @PEARL

10. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

.......and he’s firing on all 12 cylinders with twin turbos at full rpm:)

Rai Munir likes this.
  11. Ouddict

Indeed!

12. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

@PEARL After chatting a bit I realise we agree more than we disagree, but when I first read the post, I was taken aback by all the talk of winning. :)
    I thought I'd offer a gentle counterpoint, in case others read things the same way I did.
    Sure, if business becomes too personal and pervaded by sentiment, that business is likely to fail,
    but I dislike the championing of impersonal business! I see too much of it, and in many ways it represents much of what is wrong with the direction we are heading in. 'Winning' is not the end to justify all means.
    As cutthroat as conducting business might get, if you 'lie', or 'hurt another', if you plagiarise or undermine the competition you should not be excused, and certainly not applauded. Then you are not just 'winning' or showing strong marketing, but in fact you are doing a disservice to your customer and to the industry.
    In a nutshell, immoral, dishonest, hurtful and disrespectful practices should not be given immunity or be disregarded simply because they were perpetrated under the cloak of 'business'.
    And this goes for all vendors. I often see Ensar singled out (and I can understand why), but I'm sure we've all been taken for a ride at least once in our oud journey by other vendors, and the truth is there is never one single guilty party.
    All vendors should be held to high standards.

Also, I do understand the point that there is a level of complicity involved from customers; in part, some consumers have voluntarily surrendered the 'win' to the vendor. Only oudification can counter that to a degree, and that is the great thing about forums such as these, but in truth there is very little transparency in the oud world and gaining enough knowledge to safely sail the oud waters with any confidence is very hard!

Further, I understand the point that each vendor should able to successfully market himself (fearlessly) and, if need be, protect himself from external attacks, but not all vendors are 'businessmen'.

Not to forget the value mystique and exclusivity have on luxury items.
    I wonder if we were to strip oud of all its mystery if it would manage to maintain its luxury status.
    Personally, I find there is too much mystery to oud...

I agree with most of your points regarding the current pricing of oud, but not with the above point.
    First, I'd like to know what you think is dreck :) :p
    Secondly, with regard to the true value of $2500 oud oils, I think the only way to fairly tackle the subject would be to conduct a blind sample test. Of course this would require men with the means to donate costly samples, and of course the corresponding generosity. It might even require courage to make such a donation, as a 2500$ oil might depreciate in face of such a valuation. Then one would need careful and impartial design of the test by a referee or referees. Dependable testers, a single format for testing and recording impressions, time limits on delivering findings, etc.
    However, by mixing a handful of unknown oud oils from different perceived values, and accumulating their scores from completely blind judgments, one could at least get a better snapshot regarding the oils' true olfactory values.

I'm not so sure the consumer has seen the full benefit of this yet.

All the more reason to be less tolerant of dishonesty and disrespect.

13. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

So much to say but such a long post. I’ll try and post seperate entries to different subjects discussed above.

14. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

That's it!

The rest will be done by the olfactory. Such tests have been made; therefore, price has been considered the Promethean unbound. Otherwise, every body is sensible enough to understand the rationale behind pricing and other matters, if any.

15. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

No Oud can be more fragrant than this piece of writing. This is not something crafted; it is revealed.

Long live respected and dearest PEARL!

Bryan-I likes this.
  16. Ouddict

It feels like full circle to me... this forum had some really great pioneers that would not immediately come to mind but they include:

@kooolaid79 @PEARL @bhanny

Not many people know, but these guys were onboard with Ouddict from the first month or so and were our leading posters, not in terms of just quantity, but also quality. Heavy hitters so to speak.

So I’m personally overjoyed to see them back on the forum and to me, to see these guys here, recalls the exciting early days of the forum when it’s future depended literally on 9-10 hard core members.

Also have some BN veterans sniffing around is also great... like @EHV (Evogel), @Michael Perez and this @powdernose... not sure who you are but your name rings a bell...

17. MzM

MzM Oud King

A
    Agreed completely on Imperial Oud. Outstanding vendors with their professionalism and accessibility.

bhanny and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  18. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

This forum is a multi-faceted resource for Oud Lovers.

You can share your thoughts on your daily swipe, ask advice, or discuss the “Oud Biz”.

You can connect with Vendors, and learn more about distillation.

You can sell or swap some of your collection.

The Founding Administrators (and we know who they are:D:D) kept the platform open, thus allowing it to grow properly, and it is likely to keep on growing.

What’s my point??

This forum has Value, and I appreciate that!

Now for a swipe of my multi-oud blend to start my day:Inlove:

19. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Oud and spirituality has always been discussed. But how difficult it is to be spiritual. It is easy to clone a vendor. But how difficult it is to be a clone of a spiritual master, and then how enormously difficult it is to stay spiritual when 'business' is in. Putting aside spirituality, if at all it is just a business, then its ethics are there. If violated, then pure Oud is worse than hell stinky synthetics.

Gone are the days when consumers were treated like tools and 'pipettes'. Realization is a must. Bashing is by nature short lived, and catastrophic for the very culprit. After all acid destroys the container first that holds it. Consumers/ wearers count a lot. Oud comes second. First just human being. Even if a single consumer is bashed, all are bashed. If I stayed silent, the next turn would definitely be mine. This is an irrefutable reality. If any of vendors try to be a Faustus and a demi-god in Oud Universe, 'cut-is-the-branch-that-might-have-grown-full-straight' is always there.

The scenario is getting better and better. Healthy competition is getting roots. Vendors now exhibit strong nerves as they listen to the views with patience as well. Otherwise, when I say 'Merauke is shoe-factory- 'chappal house- scent, I would have been made history. Reselling is no more dubious. Comparison of oils is now a reflex action. Of course, without critical analysis, nothing can be reviewed.

Here, the pioneers are always 'pioneers'. Respect for them is my duty. May they stay blessed evermore. Now the Forum is beaded with PEARL's precious words. A Che Guevara for me to be followed.

Royhalwood, Arsalan, Grega and 3 others like this.
  20. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Promote Oud!