Oud Wood

Discussion in 'Oud Wood' started by AbasFrag, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

tyson and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  2. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi True Ouddict

Is a must buy. For the price is very very fair

Arsalan and Rai Munir like this.
  3. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Alright then you mentioned a top 5...and i’m curious...what are they at this point in your journey..?

4. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Dear Rasoul, till today the wood that touched and moved me:
    1st: Fillipino by AA (I can't resist mentioning it, though I fully avoid mentioning anything that I acquire indirectly.)
    2nd: Wild Assam by IO
    3rd: Sinking Wild Oud (Name forgotten): RBO

Then comes many more. If I assess the artisan Oud market, the thumb rule is: Less money, low grade product. More money, high grade product. And no vendor is China to exercise 'dump economy' policy. Ceram will come to me within a month, if that is for me.

PS: These first, second, etc. wood is what I acquired from the vendors known to us all. But that I acquired from other sources, that is a new 'Oudy Way'.

Rasoul Salehi, Arsalan and Habz786 like this.
  5. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

@Rai Munir people think
    If they pay more its better.....its all tricks of the mind....in cases yes the more you pay the better.....with Oud i would say its not always the case....however most "experts" will tell you otherwise

Joe King, Rai Munir and Arsalan like this.
  6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Dear Habz, I have no hesitation in saying that HO and AHO did what we/I could never dream of. Otherwise, when the word Malinau was used with an artisan oil, I don't know why price graph headed to the sky, for nothing. With the passage of time, things will be more controlled. Still, at least, five more such kind of artisans are badly needed.

Respected PEAR mentioned Al A'alamin. If it were launched by 'ME' before the second half of 2017, its price would have been plus 1500 dollars.

Joe King and Arsalan like this.
  7. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

@Rai Munir slowley people will learn and some will choose not to, each to their own. I take no credit, credit is due to each and every member of this forum who have shared knowledge and educated one other. I am glad that my main objective with HO has been achieved in a short period, high quality oil and wood at fair prices.

8. hassam mac

hassam mac True Ouddict

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

9. Rasoul Salehi

Kinam aside:
    In no particular order:

Hong Kong sinesis wild old stock (prices even higher than kinam)

Nha Trang old heartwood (priced like kinam)

Ceram (the only giveaway so to speak)

Philipino via taha and al hashimi and the king from IO. The IO offering that comes in square cuts is a different animal and while beautiful doesn’t make the top 5. Also all very reasonably priced.

Last but not least Tarakan heartwood.

alcolado glacial and Arsalan like this.
  10. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Thank you @Rai Munir & @Rasoul Salehi for sharing your current favourite woods. Much appreciated!

@Rasoul Salehi I did manage to get some Al Hashimi Filipino...and it certainly is incredible...always amazes me how a tiny piece can put out so much fragrance...
    The others on your list seem like very hard to come by and if available, cost would probably be prohibitive...

That leaves me with Ceram...guess some needs to be acquired...

11. Rasoul Salehi

Ceram is a must. Others on list of only shaved off for non koh purposes is affordable. But I am talking 2 grams that can further be broken up to at least 40 wears. Less than 0.1 gram each time is actually quite a bit of a wood like Sulawesi long from IO or super sinking king Nha Trang from kz or tony Bolton....

Arsalan and Rai Munir like this.
  12. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Novice query: what is Ceram?
    Update: found it.

13. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

Wondering how Habz Oud Philippine compares to the Al Hashimi one...any one try both?
    Thanks

alcolado glacial likes this.
  14. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I have both.
    AH is preferred.
    HO comes close.
    LMK is good, but profile is further away from AH, but if you got the early LMK sinkers, congratulations.
    IO is even further from the profile of AH, but is decent in it’s own profile, but I still prefer AH.
    I did not try Taha’s Philippine wood.

I stocked-up on HO Filipino chips, if it were available from a Japanese Incense house, expect to pay double or triple due to their grading of resination.

I wish I had more of the AH Filipino, but I missed the boat. Thank goodness someone very thoughtful sent me a cool 5 grams:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  15. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

alcolado glacial likes this.
  16. Rasoul Salehi

0B9C043F-7D4B-427B-ACA9-F41E74A72960.jpeg DBDA12AE-D247-41C2-9AB5-0A0047E67275.jpeg 90E9AA4B-9DD0-430B-831C-A3F1B8CB47ED.jpeg Nothing to be wasted. I start with super low heat on almost all wood. Then gradually go up. After exhausting the wood on ceramic or subitism heater, they go to a pile as per below waiting to have enough to start fumigating hats and all the rooms at home. Few chips per room. Voila!

Here we have mostly ceram, various philipine origins and Vietnam wood. Last pic captures me

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  17. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Resident Artisan

As the Japanese say, “No Muda!” Nice work ;)

I think I speak for us all - you are a hell of a lot more handsome than we all imagined! :Roflmao:

Tarik, Joe King and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  18. Rasoul Salehi

942F67B3-441B-4CC7-82C7-A25F75EE5F36.jpeg
    Lol. Good one jk. That photo is my good side with a rare big smile. Normally I am way less handsome.

Hello from the me and the misses who puts up with my oud geekiness plus all the wine and whiskey geekiness and

19. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Resident Artisan

Sounds like a lucky man to have a wife willing to put up with all the nose and tongue shenanigans - and by the look of it - she’s lucky to have both sides of ya!

Rasoul Salehi and Grega like this.
  20. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Nice!!
    But where’s the agarwood beads?

Promote Oud!