rodspeed

Oud Poet
Photos from 한국 향도문화 협회(韓國香道文化協會, South Korea Koh do culture association). all the copyrights belong to them.

I think @RisingPhoenix would like this. ;)

1. Incense offering ceremony at a Buddhist temple.
View attachment 14129

2. Koh do study group
View attachment 14130

3. Group Mon-koh session
View attachment 14131

4. Koh do master from Japan evaluating the quality of agarwood
View attachment 14132

5. Various kyaras displayed for Koh do conference. these are belong to Chinese temple called 慈善寺 where located at 石景山(Shijingshan), 北京(Beijing), China
View attachment 14133
View attachment 14134

Thanks for sharing this. Being part-Korean, I will proudly claim this as part of my heritage (as if that was necessary)!

William Birch

Oud Fanatic
This thread may be a dead one but I have a question. Do the peoples of the Arabian/Persian Gulf have a Kyara/Q(K)inam equivalent? Because I must admit I would find it strange if they don’t, since they buy so much of it. Also I can’t imagine Arabs burning high high quality woods on just a coal, that just seems wasteful.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
The highest grade Oudh known in our tradition is Mandalee, referred to in Arabic as 'ajwa Oudh al hindi'. The statement defines both it's origin and quality. The most supreme Oudh of Indian origin.

So you could say the Arabic equivalent to Kyara is Mandalee

This thread may be a dead one but I have a question. Do the peoples of the Arabian/Persian Gulf have a Kyara/Q(K)inam equivalent? Because I must admit I would find it strange if they don’t, since they buy so much of it. Also I can’t imagine Arabs burning high high quality woods on just a coal, that just seems wasteful.

William Birch

Oud Fanatic
The highest grade Oudh known in our tradition is Mandalee, referred to in Arabic as 'ajwa Oudh al hindi'. The statement defines both it's origin and quality. The most supreme Oudh of Indian origin.

So you could say the Arabic equivalent to Kyara is Mandalee

Ohh right that makes sense, I did hear somewhere that India is to the Gulf what Vietnam is to Japan. I don’t know if that true or not but I’d imagine historically speaking the Gulf regions would have better access to India than SE Asian countries. Is it a historical context to this or another factor? Like, historically it was far easier to get Indian Oud into the Gulf than sail to places like Vietnam. Or was it possibly the environmental factors/character of Indian Oud that made it so prized by the region?

sorry for bombarding you with questions but you made the mistake of replying to me and I’m very excitable :p :D

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
The old spice routes of the oceans that extended as far south as Indonesia and East as Korea and the silk road all serviced the middle east. I have in the classical texts with me mention of Oudhs from most the eastern islands and jungles. I believe ouriour preference for Al Mandalee is to do with the quality of scent that we prefer and how we judge quality.

Ohh right that makes sense, I did hear somewhere that India is to the Gulf what Vietnam is to Japan. I don’t know if that true or not but I’d imagine historically speaking the Gulf regions would have better access to India than SE Asian countries. Is it a historical context to this or another factor? Like, historically it was far easier to get Indian Oud into the Gulf than sail to places like Vietnam. Or was it possibly the environmental factors/character of Indian Oud that made it so prized by the region?

sorry for bombarding you with questions but you made the mistake of replying to me and I’m very excitable :p :D