Gowtham G Nayak

Oud Beginner
Advent of oud in western perfumery have increased the price, adulteration, synthetics and chemical alternatives. Cost of well distilled high quality oud oils are sky rocketing already. That augments the above mentioned draw backs which inter makes oud oils out of reach to a lay man.
As wild ouds are in the verge of extinction, cultivated ouds are the only source of oud accessibility.
what about the sustainability of those cultivated medium quality ouds offered by Abdul samad al qureshi, Ajmal etc?
Do we need to pay high prices for the oil which don't deserve it in future?
Or do need to stock up the available high quality oils to use it for rest of our life?

Last edited:

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
I believe with all scare resources....those who offer the most money shall get what they want....The rising prices will drive many in this niche market out to the side lines...where unscrupulous sellers will tout the "real " last Agarwood...
I doubt if many perfume houses are using real Oudh. I think they are mostly selling a name...Cultivation is certainly from where we are now...possibly the only way forward....most forests are after all disappearing...not just Agarwood trees...but all trees...People in this market shall have to remain very alert to any headings about pure 100% wild Agarwood or Sandalwood for that matter.
Let the buyer beware....has never been more truer.....
Many established vendors of good reputation, shall stay a head of the trend downwards....as many keep to the standards of the heart and not just the wallet..