Rai Munir

Musk Man
I think these are not polished. I have seen polished pieces as well. So, in my view these are not polished.

Actually each piece has a different shape. I have separated seven or eight out of twenty four, which can be used for beads.

In fact, this is one kilo.

Comparatively large pieces were available as well, but I preferred these ones.

I wanted to buy sandalwood roots as well; it was low priced. But the seller was of the view roots are considered low grade wood. Then I recalled the words of a member, well experienced, keen, shrewd and curious, the cheapest part of sandalwood tree is root. And the high priced is always heartwood. I had discussion with the seller, and his words make sense. Anyway.

I burn sandalwood a lot. So, I don't require tiny chips. Powder is needed to have some leisure activities to make incense cones etc.

Orders for half a kg Ceylon Sandalwood has been placed. I like its woody profile emanating from the wood on coal.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I love those pieces! Not polished, but definitely shaped into nice round pieces with rounded edges. If you’ve ever split wood, the difference is quite dramatic.

sandalwood root vs. trunk - now here’s a topic I’d like to sort out. I read years ago the different sections from different positions in the tree were given different grades. There has been some discussion and writing on vendors’ marketing copy about how the roots are the holy grail of sandalwood but I don’t think this is exactly true.

I can’t find the source, but what I read had different Indian names for trunk, branch, limb, root, etc. and it stated that roots produce a higher yield, mediocre aroma oil, and that the best smelling wood and oil comes from trunk heartwood.

Trunk wood may be less desirable to distill because the yield is lower - I think this is just an economic consideration.

In my own experience, I have yet to smell a root oil that was really top notch to me. I’ve sampled maybe only 4 all told so what do I know, but they were all kind of dull. They had the correct base note but kind of weak and lacking dimensions / complexity.

If i am wrong, please set me straight. The only scholarly source I’ve seen stated what I summarized above but my knowledge and experience is obviously limited.

Last edited:

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
I love those pieces! Not polished, but definitely shaped into nice round pieces with rounded edges. If you’ve ever split wood, the difference is quite dramatic.

sandalwood root vs. trunk - now here’s a topic I’d like to sort out. I read years ago the different sections from different positions in the tree were given different grades. There has been some discussion and writing on vendors’ marketing copy about how the roots are the holy grail of sandalwood but I don’t think this is exactly true.

I can’t find the source, but what I read had different Indian names for trunk, branch, limb, root, etc. and it stated that roots produce a higher yield, mediocre aroma oil, and that the best smelling wood and oil comes from trunk heartwood.

Trunk wood may be less desirable to distill because the yield is lower - I think this is just an economic consideration.

In my own experience, I have yet to smell a root oil that was really top notch to me. I’ve sampled maybe only 4 all told so what do I know, but they were all kind of dull. They had the correct base note but kind of weak and lacking dimensions / complexity.

If i am wrong, please set me straight. The only scholarly source I’ve seen stated what I summarized above but my knowledge and experience is obviously limited.

This is true, those pieces are definitely worked pieces, what they do for premium stock they shave the outer layers of the logs because in sandalwood the centre is the dense, oil rich section, this is also why the pieces sink as all the outer layers have been removed. For an experienced individual one can also guess the age of the tree from the thickness of those little logs. Back in the days those sinking logs would be the size of an adults thigh because the age of the trees would be older and they would have a much larger diameter and by the time they outer layers were removed the core section would be much larger due to the size of the trunk. After the shaving they are roughly machined/sanded and the oil content and wood property gives the shine and smoothness.

Whilst those pieces might be from a relatively speaking younger tree, they look wonderful and if Rai would share his source I would love to distil a few kgs of it.

As for the roots and oil quality, roots do produce more oil but a lighter oil both in colour and scent as the roots lack colour and vigour due to lack of sun exposure. The branches they produce the darkest and most zisty oils. The trunk produces the best balanced oil, in aroma richness and colour due to the age of the trunk and oil content.

Last edited:

Alkhadra

"Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan
Early morning spent grading wood. Separating batches based on shape/density/grade. My lack of a real smile is not because I'm unhappy, it's cause I haven't been able to catch up on sleep. :Roflmao: Besides, going through batches of Oud can be quite therapeutic.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Whilst those pieces might be from a relatively speaking younger tree, they look wonderful and if Rai would share his source I would love to distil a few kgs of it.
Well, after reading the post, I contacted the vendor here, and then visited him to know about the source, but all in vain. Though he made me talk to his source on WhatsApp.
My contact is basically a musk seller, only Kashmiri musk. I asked him to buy me Sandalwood as I knew he had pretty reliable contacts in India. So, he arranged wood for me. I have asked him for more wood that he will provide after a month.

He gave me this one kg wood at $0.55 for a gram. If I had bought two kg, it would have been $0.50 per gram, and so on. I paid him $1.25 per gram when I bought a billet of 57 grams.

I needed this much wood for beads. So, recently I have given four logs to the respected carpenter to get a rosary having 33 beads carved. By product- powder- I use in incense cones.

Edit: Correction has been made in price.

Last edited:

Joyoud

Oud Fan
E2967B0E-47EC-4BDA-8837-EAE4423A0534.jpeg
B02CF2DA-96DA-41D0-9467-C3B9D9D66F37.jpeg
6C42A6C1-4F3F-42CE-8733-664274F96EFE.jpeg
DB8BB567-616D-440B-B4F8-3A452C47C254.jpeg
65C273E8-170A-496B-B448-3735764A8C94.jpeg
A939D573-FAE1-494D-A19B-1BE7C7647840.jpeg
4D2DA60A-FD6D-4814-8F44-39A635DBABCC.jpeg
414E25D3-D582-4116-871D-91D54A1767A2.jpeg
Al Salamu Alaykum and hello everyone,
Here is some of my Oud oils I would like to share with you inside the box that I built years ago,I build it out of Plexiglass.
The ships inside it’s Oud chips and my Oud wood collection still waiting for a box (I will make one day).
Enjoy.
J.

Shamrose

Oud Beginner
View attachment 9856 View attachment 9857 View attachment 9858 View attachment 9859 View attachment 9860 View attachment 9861 View attachment 9862 View attachment 9863 Al Salamu Alaykum and hello everyone,
Here is some of my Oud oils I would like to share with you inside the box that I built years ago,I build it out of Plexiglass.
The ships inside it’s Oud chips and my Oud wood collection still waiting for a box (I will make one day).
Enjoy.
J.
Magnificent design. Are you an architect ? I would consider this the oudh tower. Lol

OudGood

True Ouddict

Joyoud

Oud Fan
Magnificent design. Are you an architect ? I would consider this the oudh tower. Lol
Thank you very much brother,
And I am not an Architect,I used to be Mechanical Engineering and I have Master in piping design......
That was long time ago and I forget everything now .
18 years ago I came here to Canada AS A MECHANICAL ENGINEER emigrant but no body want to hire me because I have no Canadian experience
Ok no problem just hire me as volunteer and try me ?
No you need Canadian experience ! How can I get it if no body try me ?!
I have no money at that time and no relatives and no friends but I am an artist (carving wood and inlays....etc) so I start working guess what ?!
Carpenter !! Waw very close to Mechanical engineer, anyway make it short ;
I am working as a carpenter ,Installer and CNC programmer and I found that I am making more money than Mechanical Engineer!

But in my free time I work on my art work (very high end Art work ) must of it Holy Quraan Art fonts Gem stones,Mother of pearls,copper,Brass and Epoxy Inlay on very high end Burl Expensive slaps of wood .
I don’t sell anything,keep them and gift them only.
Thank for your words.
And have wonderful weekend.
J.

Shamrose

Oud Beginner
And I am not an Architect,I used to be Mechanical Engineering and I have Master in piping design......
18 years ago I came here to Canada AS A MECHANICAL ENGINEER emigrant but no body want to hire me because I have no Canadian experience
I have no money at that time and no relatives and no friends but I am an artist (carving wood and inlays....etc) so I start working guess what ?!
I am working as a carpenter ,Installer and CNC programmer and I found that I am making more money than Mechanical Engineer!

But in my free time I work on my art work (very high end Art work ) must of it Holy Quraan Art fonts Gem stones,Mother of pearls,copper,Brass and Epoxy Inlay on very high end Burl Expensive slaps of wood .
Thank for your words.
J.
Masha Allah. Goes to show that the most high has a plan for everyone. Your skills definitely show in your craftsmanship. May you have a blessed weekend as well!

OudGood

True Ouddict

Thank for your words.
J.
Mashallah! Where in Canada are you? I am in Toronto.