1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Oud of the Month - April

Discussion in 'Oud of the Year 2017' started by Ouddict, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Tech Support

Great... I've heard it's a very good Oud. Any wild recommendation?

2. hasans1412

hasans1412 Resident Artisan

Since it's open to discussions, as for the categories, my personally suggestions would of two.

Either have just the one category, recommendation of the month (maybe a reasonable restriction of say recent releases) irrelevant of it's origin (either wild or plantation).

Or the latter, to accommodate plantation oils and give it a chance to be in the list, which without otherwise will struggle to get a mention is have ones 'Oud of the Month' and 'Oud of the Month in terms of Value', again keeping in mind recent releases and without any origin restrictions. I think that will give a better outlook in people's approach in buying or sampling an oil, both for the buyer with high and low budget. What do you guys think?

jensz likes this.
  3. Ouddict

The original categories will stand, but I wanted clarification from Hedycent as to his opinion on the matter. Vendors who use inoculated wood, chemicals etc are not even considered which leaves the original categories from the ones I have listed. Regarding the debated of wild vs plantation, we accept the definition of the particular vendor to keep things simple. Both categories are needed to give Organic (Plantation) Oud a chance.

Bengal Roots likes this.
  4. hedycent

hedycent True Ouddict

Hey all, sorry for the delay in response. The only real problem I see with wild vs organic is that organic(which has a few meanings internationally) only represents a small proportion of the plantation/ cultivated trees.
    A single tree can be cultivated as can a whole plantation so I think wild vs cultivated is the most illuminating title.
    The status of Zak's wonderful homegrown trees are a whole separate issue.
    My most recent wild is Adam AK48 :cool:

5. Bengal Roots

Bengal Roots Resident Artisan

Not realized I created a little confusion here with my coined term 'Wild Homegrown'

This was purely for my own purpose to explain to larger audience that homegrown is not plantation category generally termed as 'Organic'

As in future I will have plantation Oud category as well in my offerings.

This means categorically 'Agarwood Assam' will have three full featured category.

- WILD
    - HOMEGROWN
    - PLANTATION (ORGANIC)

We do not indulge or practice in promoting and selling.

*IRON NAILED TREES

*INOCULATION

*HANDWOUNDS

6. jensz

jensz Administrator Staff Member

I think that wild and cultivated are the most useful categories for this poll. If we try to break it down to account for all the different forms of human intervention, there will be too many categories. And furthermore I doubt we could confidently categorize because such info might not be known for all oils. Also, this poll is "for fun," so maybe breaking down too precisely would defeat the fun part?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  7. jensz

jensz Administrator Staff Member

My nominees are:

Wild: QANDAHAAR. Al-Shareef. What I'm going to call a "stealth" barn Hindi. I'm a barnmaniac so I am usually frustrated by Hindis lacking a punchy barn. But this oil completely cancelled out my categories. It's got a robust swirl of scorched spices in the beginning, smells so red-hot, I love it, but it's cooled with menthol and eucalyptus. Then something like the barn creeps in. It is "barn" as such? I don't know, but it's just so satisfying and it pushes all the barn buttons without being fecal, dairy, or the usual words we use. Then the richest rose appears, like concentrated rose jam, blending with the oil in beautiful harmony. One could mistake it for a blend, so gorgeous.

Cultivated: FEEL-OUD VIETNAM BIO KYARA. Feel-Oud. This was released in autumn 2016. Super vaporous, with some medicinal elements, pushes my brain's happy-oud button. It was also quite a bargain.

8. Ouddict

Great write up :cool:

9. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Yeaaaah @jensz ! :cool:

Oudamberlove likes this.
  10. Ouddict

Come on Farid... we're waiting for your recommendations!

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  11. F4R1d0uX

You know my label :cool:, so I'm going to make it Farid = price/quality ratio

Top/bargain wild : metei From Zakos

Top/bargain cultivated : Hind From Jawedos.

I hope that this classification type will hurt nobody but if some ouds are for elit (and it's fair to me sincerely), some other could be reachable for all oud lovers.

If you permit me, my recommandations would be that type because there is us members, but I'm sure lot of oud lovers/curious could watch this forum as guests and this is for them too. ;)

PS : the ones I was referring to are anonymous people from all over the world who are too shy to register because they feel they cannot have access to oud like I was with basenotes following oud chat without registration...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Mandeel AlMandeel, jensz and Ouddict like this.
  12. Ouddict

Ok thanks! The second vendor is Al Shareef I take it? And the first?

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  13. F4R1d0uX

Agar wood Assam bro !

Bengal Roots and Ouddict like this.
  14. Ouddict

Oh... hahahaha. Ok. :cool:

Promote Oud!