Dr B1414

True Ouddict
In all honesty I was not impressed with Guallam no1 and sold my bottle with in a couple of days of receiving it and I have only tried a tiny amount of Kinam Rouge once, so I can't comment much on either of those. As a caveat - I do not enjoy any type of crassna fruitiness or even that rings of a basic crassna to my brain. For some reason I find it personally offensive
🤣

As an aside - Vietamense oud seems to rank pretty low for me overall as I also quite disliked high grade Vietnamese from Taha like - hansei, wanmei, Vietnan Spec K. The hansei/wanmei to my nose were a combination of dirt, bandaids, leather, and fruits, where as VSK was leather, bandaids, and fruit.

On the flipside - Royal guallam and Nha Trang LTD are both amazing and I feel like Guallam Kilam will be on on the level of Royal guallam but not Nha Trang LTD(of course.) Still need a bit more time with Guallam Kilam to dive in deeper but really enjoying it so far.

No fruitiness of VSK and doesn't have the sharp opening of NTLTD, it is much quieter and more mellow oil.

It is less fruity and more complex than NTU but also lacks the sharp opening that both NTLTD and NTU have.

I would say it does indeed have the green and vanillin overtones, alongside the other aspects that I mentioned, but it really resonates with more with many of the Japanese "kyara" incense sticks and less with my experiences of heating green/whine kynam, so I would say to leans more on the black or darker side of things due to the musk and sweet molasses overtones.
Thank you for the detailed description. Very well explained.

Proust Madeleine

True Ouddict
So interesting how differently we all smell things. I get much more red from Guallam Kilam than VSK... which I get green from. Guallam Kilam certainly has the vanilla overtone you mentioned but I get heavy cherry tobacco with it. I still don’t get much in the way of fruit from VSK... I think Guallam Kilam puts Kinam Rouge to shame. Nha Trang LTD and Nha Trang Ultima id put a step above Guallam Kilam BUT every time I try Guallam Kilam I like it more than the last time and the scent profile fills out. I got zero incense in the beginning and now I get light smoke in the back. It’s beautiful truly. Perhaps I’ll rank it above both next time I wear it.

burning some of Kyara Zen’s red soil Viet and sampling these Viet oils is quite a treat. Last night I burned his lotus dew and it made me appreciate IO’s Pontiniak oil even more—- that one is a little mini legend. Love it.

BrandonGilbert

Not that Brandon
So interesting how differently we all smell things. I get much more red from Guallam Kilam than VSK... which I get green from. Guallam Kilam certainly has the vanilla overtone you mentioned but I get heavy cherry tobacco with it. I still don’t get much in the way of fruit from VSK... I think Guallam Kilam puts Kinam Rouge to shame. Nha Trang LTD and Nha Trang Ultima id put a step above Guallam Kilam BUT every time I try Guallam Kilam I like it more than the last time and the scent profile fills out. I got zero incense in the beginning and now I get light smoke in the back. It’s beautiful truly. Perhaps I’ll rank it above both next time I wear it.

burning some of Kyara Zen’s red soil Viet and sampling these Viet oils is quite a treat. Last night I burned his lotus dew and it made me appreciate IO’s Pontiniak oil even more—- that one is a little mini legend. Love it.
Yeah that's very true, quite interesting how varied and subjective our experiences are.

Same for me, each time I wear Guallam kilam I get more from it and the more it opens up.

Also I didn't mean I get any smoke or incense in that regard, I just meant the profile/formula/idea you get from those sticks is more like this as compared to some green kynam on heat, etc.

Proust Madeleine

True Ouddict
Yeah that's very true, quite interesting how varied and subjective our experiences are.

Same for me, each time I wear Guallam kilam I get more from it and the more it opens up.

Also I didn't mean I get any smoke or incense in that regard, I just meant the profile/formula/idea you get from those sticks is more like this as compared to some green kynam on heat, etc.
I got what you meant! I’m just say the newest thing I got from it is a light incense smoke in the back... very strange!

BrandonGilbert

Not that Brandon
Have any oils that you've smelled so far have the experience of heating green and white Kynam for you?
Hainan Qianan and HK oil from Marius smell pretty closely to aspects of heating green and yellow kinam, but otherwise oils or perfumes are not really that similiar to my nose. I had a long post on the EO group awhile back about how none of his kinam or kyara oils actually smelled like kynam or kyara :D

zahir

Ouducation Student
Hainan Qianan and HK oil from Marius smell pretty closely to aspects of heating green and yellow kinam, but otherwise oils or perfumes are not really that similiar to my nose. I had a long post on the EO group awhile back about how none of his kinam or kyara oils actually smelled like kynam or kyara :D
Lol. What are your thoughts about special K oils from Taha? And do any of Taha's oils remind me of heating green/white kynam? I haven't bought oils in general in some time now but it seems like every oil above 500 usd from Taha is being described as having some sort of kynam notes in it, whether it's green, white or everything combined.

BrandonGilbert

Not that Brandon
Lol. What are your thoughts about special K oils from Taha? And do any of Taha's oils remind me of heating green/white kynam? I haven't bought oils in general in some time now but it seems like every oil above 500 usd from Taha is being described as having some sort of kynam notes in it, whether it's green, white or everything combined.
Ive tried Malay Spec K and Vietnan Spec K but none of them really struck me as resembling kynam. Same for Hansei and wanmei which he was claiming as pretty dead on Kynam. But really at a certain point it can be come really too easy and too muddied to say any oil has kynamic facets.

For example, if it has:

bitter-sweet
piercing numbness
creaminess

Many oils have this so one could easily get hyped up and call it Special K or kynamic but it's really extraneous in my opinion.

Tilt

Oud Fanatic
Laal Jinko, a soon-to-be-released oud oil from the house of Al Hashimi. thank you @Nadeem for giving me the opportunity to smell it.

this one is interesting. not so long ago, AH released two Hindi oils. namely Algara, and Hawa Jinko.
both were quite unique compared to other Hindi oils I've smelt before and Laal Jinko continues the lineage of those two.
let's break down the DNA of these three oils and how Laal Jinko is different from its two siblings.

Commonalities
1. The sweetness of powdered brown sugar
2. Nose-tingling sour yogurt
3. Glob-y quality. so, you may never saw this term in oud descriptions but this is the closest expression I could come up with. when I deeply inhale these oils, I sense the sensation that reminds me of swallowing a thick oil that sticks to the back of the throat and slides down.
4. Middle ground between new-gen and traditional distillation. new-gen clean Hindi oils often put an emphasis on pristine golden-honey sweetness while traditionally distilled Hindi oils emphasize leathery, woody, chocolatey sweetness. these three oils are quite shy in their projection and mild in their expression. these are not 'pristine, dazzling'. rather, it feels more like 'neutral', so they didn't engage my sense as much as the some of loud, expressive oils. I think quite a lot of folks may not love these oils due to this neutral quality.

Comparison of Laal Jinko with Algara and Hawa Jinko
let me say this first, I prefer Hawa Jinko over Laal Jinko.
(the pink-floral musky quality of Hawa Jinko knocks my socks off)

The quality of Laal Jinko is superior to Hawa Jinko and I can't deny that. but the difference is insignificant to my nose. it might be because Laal Jinko didn't click my brain yet or maybe my nose isn't seasoned enough to pick up finer nuances.
anyway, I could feel the signature of this distillation style more clearly from Laal Jinko compared to the other two oils.

in terms of scent profile, Laal Jinko failed to surprise me.
the slightest tinge of leather from the opening, then slowly floating sweetness of sizzling powdered brown sugar.
playful raspberry and sour yogurt. and resinous droplets of honey.

with that said, I'd like to compare these three and pick a winner in a few criteria.

Uniqueness: Hawa Jinko > Laal Jinko > Algara
Terroir: Laal Jinko > Algara > Hawa Jinko
Price-Quality Ratio: Hawa Jinko > Laal Jinko > Algara
Projection: Algara > Hawa Jinko > Laal Jino

well, like many of you guys can't pick one favorite oud oil,
my pick for each criterion is subjective to change over time. 😁
Fantastic post as always. Full of observations about things that I’ve experienced but been unable to put into words (or latch on to the what smells might remind me of). In commonalities, 1&3 make total sense to me.
I own Algara, have a sample of Hawa Jinko, and I’m looking forward to trying Laal Jinko.
Solely from a personal perspective, I prefer the deeper and ‘oudier’ Algara over Hawa Jinko. HJ is so lovely with its musky Rose elements combined with what could almost be an amazing sandalwood. But Algara, despite being clean and pure in it’s own way, has something in the background that offers what I want from oud. Somehow like a classically distilled oud that’s been edited, cleaned-up and tuned.

Dr B1414

True Ouddict
I do find Marius's Pusong Qi to also showcase beautiful kinamic facets.

Last edited:

Castingshadows

@scentofsamadhi
Wearing Habzoud Cambodi Smoke today.

Intense smokiness that turns into resinous incense. This works so well with layering. I did a swipe of Sunset in Ceylon and then a small swipe of Cambodi Smoke and I smell damn good right now. Cambodi Smoke is really strong though so it overpowered the Attar but after an hour it’s like legit Bahkoor.

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
RPP - Ngapali Burmese
Whether it be the pot, wood, water, the opening smells like a proper poop to my nose. Mmm, well, actually, it's more like a traditional Korean fermented soy paste. (It's called Meju in the local lingo.)

I can smell that ambery particle from crackling firewood as well. It's very... Countryside-y. then it transitions into oudy liquor

not ma cup of tea