Dan

True Ouddict
I have been wearing Royal Malinau last night and today. It’s awesome. A superb oil in all respects. And...this is a great example of samples. The sample I have of it was really good at the start but got a lot better as it sat for a month or so. Amazing change. Luang has kind of been same way to me. Bottle has taken time to become the same as the sample. Maybe an oxidation phenomenon? I don’t know?
I feel the opposite brother

I feel the swipes from the bottle actually amplifies the notes and my experience of the oil.

The only logical reason for that could be I do full Swipes whereas since it's a sample I'm a miser ...

Like our brother EjayB said there isnt much difference he feels between samples and full bottle.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

zeedubbya

True Ouddict
I feel the opposite brother

I feel the swipes from the bottle actually amplifies the notes and my experience of the oil.

The only logical reason for that could be I do full Swipes whereas since it's a sample I'm a miser ...

Like our brother EjayB said there isnt much difference he feels between samples and full bottle.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@Dan I think we’re talking about very minor differences though, and in my opinion what you’re experiencing has more to do with volume of the swipe. It seems really hard to get the same size swipe with a sample vial than with a full bottle. BUT I have noticed with both Luang and Royal Malinau there was a subtle but positive change in the sample once it sat for a bit. This was also VERY evident in Perampera. I only have a gram of it, but it changed dramatically with exposure to air. Taha mentioned this to be the case because the oil was so fresh. So, it seems to go both ways possibly.

man_in_japan

Oud Beginner
Currently wearing Tian Long, since LMK graciously sent a sample. This is a lovely oil for summer. Highly recommend picking this up once it's out. Very forest-y.

Also, for anyone wondering, I tried the EO Green Papua 2019 recently and...the opening smells exactly like a Glenfiddich highball. (Muslim brothers, trust me on this one.) Not a bad thing, but it's very light and not necessarily oudy. More leafy and a little floral. It probably needs some time to open up. Had to swipe some sandalwood (RBO) on my other wrist to make sure my nose hadn't completely failed me.

And re: the sample vs. full bottle conversation, depending on when the sample was decanted, I notice a lot of differences between samples and full bottles. I have stuff where I've purchased a full bottle on the strength of the sample, then tried the oil from the bottle and been flummoxed by the difference. Decanting into a smaller vial helps the oil open up a lot, especially younger oils.

Oh, and if you have any empty sample vials or ones that you can no longer get the oil out of, cover them with a little rubbing alcohol or vodka and then put it in a spray as hand sanitizer. Then reuse the precious sample vials for decants.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I think samples oxidize very quickly as the oils has a high surface area exposure relative to its volume. Especially if the sample is tipped or in a pocket or rolled around - the oil spreads put into a think film and oxidizes rapidly. This is my hypothesis anyway. The vials give you one benefit - accelerated aging. A glimpse of where your oud is heading as it gradually get used up

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Which new one? The Ramah one? I have that as well. Both have incredible lasting power all day!

Yeah ramah - I like this one maybe better than fawz only bc it's a more unique sandalwood.

The more traditional Mysore oils are great too don't get me wrong but part of what I love about this artisinal community is the ability of vendors here to create something new and exciting. Same with the beer world for example - pale ale is great and a traditional hoppy pale is is totally nice. But those who are beer snobs are always exploring new things - which is why I think we are seeing a huge popularity around sours and farmhouse brews as well as wacky concoctions brewed with all types of fruits and spices. Some of the stuff out of Colorado right now looks more like smoothies than beer! Lol

But yeah - another great sandalwood vendor is JK. If I had to pick one for the rest of my life, his one deep something is a total gem bc it's more loud and robust than most sandalwood. The copper distillation is so cool - sometimes it smells more like oud in the opening and also lasts all day. Haven't tried his others yet but most are hyper unique niche oils.