Woodland Note

True Ouddict
I get it when there’s a brief review or comment - those have helped me find new ouds as well. Anyway keep on keeping on.

You know what I’m still waiting for? To encounter someone else’s oud of the day “in the wild”. Still haven’t caught a whiff of oud from another random human, ever. If I ever pass a stranger reeking of oud I will have a hard time not giving them a hug...

Those people exist :rolleyes:. They are just rare... like a wild oud tree in a jungle, or a lump of ambergris floating on the ocean waves. I would like that too, but I don't have high hopes for this. Not many people really even know much about perfumes here where I live, in Central Europe. Most people here don't use the upper shelf perfumes, just cheap stuff from local cosmetics store where even something like Dior Farrenheit is the top shelf and not easy to come by. For them a perfume is like a soap or a shampoo. I don’t think attars and plantation oud are so expensive anymore, if one takes into consideration what he is getting. 3ml of beautiful plantation oud or a nice attar for $50. That is much better deal than a small bottle of Dior, Tom Ford and so on. Besides many people here are wealthy and they could afford even very expensive oud. But they don’t know about it and they don’t care much about it either. Also, they might not be able to recognize the beauty of a fragrance, like not everyone is into classical music, some people listen to rap, hiphop... or nothing at all, and they can’t appreciate Tchaikovsky, Satie, Chopin. It is how it is.
I've been hearing that on Middle East people are more aware about natural perfumes subject, and it's much easier to come across the scent of oud.

Those people exist :rolleyes:. They are just rare... like a wild oud tree in a jungle, or a lump of ambergris floating on the ocean waves. I would like that too, but I don't have high hopes for this. Not many people really even know much about perfumes here where I live, in Central Europe. Most people here don't use the upper shelf perfumes, just cheap stuff from local cosmetics store where even something like Dior Farrenheit is the top shelf and not easy to come by. For them a perfume is like a soap or a shampoo. I don’t think attars and plantation oud are so expensive anymore, if one takes into consideration what he is getting. 3ml of beautiful plantation oud or a nice attar for $50. That is much better deal than a small bottle of Dior, Tom Ford and so on. Besides many people here are wealthy and they could afford even very expensive oud. But they don’t know about it and they don’t care much about it either. Also, they might not be able to recognize the beauty of a fragrance, like not everyone is into classical music, some people listen to rap, hiphop... or nothing at all, and they can’t appreciate Tchaikovsky, Satie, Chopin. It is how it is.
I've been hearing that on Middle East people are more aware about natural perfumes subject, and it's much easier to come across the scent of oud.
I could see how some would be deterred by smearing oil on their skin for perfume. By golly, it might even get on their clothes, especially the thick oils. With spray colognes, they don’t leave a mess, well suited for this fast pace society.

Reactions: Dan

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
ton of oils today, as usual

Started with ASO's Qadeem. Seems rather light, about 2hrs into its wear I was struggling to pick up any scent . Will need further wearings to decipher it more. Very enjoyable while it was perceptible though

Later I've swiped Noir Velours & Malay Cola by LMK, 2 great oils - NV being an easy to wear Hindi with the common leathery, hay facters. Nothing truly unique jumped out at me but I like it. I have many Hindi oils like this (e.g. a few from Agarwood Assam) and think I need to scale back to only own 2-3 tops.
Malay Cola is a great Malaysian oil which I adore :)

Now swiped a few Agarwood Assam attars (Wajood and Shamsher),
Kuzen by Agar Aura (lovely!, deep, red)
Sicilian Vanilla by Rising Phoenix (generally not a fan of vanilla but this is awesome) and
Ibn Zamrak by Al Hashimi (sweet, strong, Borneo bliss),
Nangarhar by ASO - to me, a dark feeling rose with a bit of citric pop

overload!! :Roflmao:

also 2 sprays of Dior Homme Parfum underneath my chest, because, well, why not?

Last edited:

Martin

Oud Novice
IO Nha Trang Ultima - Kinamic kiss..

Does any one have both this and EO Nha Trang LTD?. I don't have mine any more but it would be interesting to do a side by side and review it.. Admittedly I haven't spent too much time with these but in terms of differences which there must be, without doing a side by side, it would take a nose far more refined than mine could ever aspire to be to detect any...

Hello Fahad!

I have a swipe of IO Nha Trang Ultima on my index finger knuckle and EO Nha Trang Ltd on my first finger knuckle so that I can easily go back and forth to enjoy and compare. These are my impressions. Both oils are superb with scent profiles I greatly enjoy. NT Ltd is a long time known grade and quality benchmark. NT Ltd is also more than 2x the cost of NTU.
Both oils are pristine clean, kinamic, mildly bittersweet/ medicinal with light floral and vanillic aspects. They strike me as having a somewhat similar style or signature with the prominent kinamic aspects—although I’m challenged to describe kinamic color here. NTU is more honeyed and creamy. I wonder if the oil is blend of Sinensis and Crassna species? NT Ltd is more focused and piercing with a slight more bite in the medicinal/ bittersweet notes and a hint of nuttiness in the opening.
Both dry downs are fairly linear with NT Ltd declining in power somewhat more rapidly. With NT Ltd I smell the connection to Royal Guallam, another fine EO Vietnamese oil. NTU has parallels with IO’s Royal Nha Trang.

I’m fortunate to have these fine oils to enjoy. My hat is off to IO for acquiring several higher tier oud oils to offer their customers who crave and appreciate them. EO has long been the artisinal oud oil leader with a mind boggling array of oils, including a back stock of uber quality and limited oils.

Attachments

• 56BFA13B-7216-4F8D-BA55-BC57CB2B1E50.jpeg
    56BFA13B-7216-4F8D-BA55-BC57CB2B1E50.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 213

Martin

Oud Novice
@Martin NTU and RNT seems to be a excellent alternative to NT Ltd?

Hi Firdaous, I think everyone that possibly can should have a few swipes of NT Ltd for a benchmark high grade high quality experience. NTU though is a glorious alternative. RNT is a very worthwhile oil too IMO. I think the supply of NTU is quite limited and IO was fortunate to be able to source the oil.
I hope IO continues to bring aboard oils like these.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
This might seem rude, but I am really curious: Why do people post names of ouds here with no reviews or comments or reflections? No offense, just curious about what you all get out of seeing people list the names of ouds in their collections / sharing those in your collections over and over again... why is this essentially the most popular kind of thread at all the oud groups? You all keep on doing what makes you happy of course, but it is odd to me - what do you all get out of reading these names?

then ...

ASO Malek al Ceeni

lol you are a fast learner

Fahad

True Ouddict
Hello Fahad!

I have a swipe of IO Nha Trang Ultima on my index finger knuckle and EO Nha Trang Ltd on my first finger knuckle so that I can easily go back and forth to enjoy and compare. These are my impressions. Both oils are superb with scent profiles I greatly enjoy. NT Ltd is a long time known grade and quality benchmark. NT Ltd is also more than 2x the cost of NTU.
Both oils are pristine clean, kinamic, mildly bittersweet/ medicinal with light floral and vanillic aspects. They strike me as having a somewhat similar style or signature with the prominent kinamic aspects—although I’m challenged to describe kinamic color here. NTU is more honeyed and creamy. I wonder if the oil is blend of Sinensis and Crassna species? NT Ltd is more focused and piercing with a slight more bite in the medicinal/ bittersweet notes and a hint of nuttiness in the opening.
Both dry downs are fairly linear with NT Ltd declining in power somewhat more rapidly. With NT Ltd I smell the connection to Royal Guallam, another fine EO Vietnamese oil. NTU has parallels with IO’s Royal Nha Trang.

I’m fortunate to have these fine oils to enjoy. My hat is off to IO for acquiring several higher tier oud oils to offer their customers who crave and appreciate them. EO has long been the artisinal oud oil leader with a mind boggling array of oils, including a back stock of uber quality and limited oils.

A full bottle of NT LTD ... (eyes popping out...)

Martin wonderful job there sharing the nuances ... I find myself agreeing with all of what you've said: The NTU being more honeyed, the NT ltd more piercing... I find the ltd had a bit of a heavier/thicker/more loaded feel to it...That nuttiness in the opening could you also describe it as a sorta old wood kind of barny funkiness or not at all? Indeed hats off to IO for offering this!

Martin

Oud Novice
A full bottle of NT LTD ... (eyes popping out...)

Martin wonderful job there sharing the nuances ... I find myself agreeing with all of what you've said: The NTU being more honeyed, the NT ltd more piercing... I find the ltd had a bit of a heavier/thicker/more loaded feel to it...That nuttiness in the opening could you also describe it as a sorta old wood kind of barny funkiness or not at all? Indeed hats off to IO for offering this!
Thanks Fahad, The slight nuttiness in the opening of NT Ltd is completely without any notes associated under the barn umbrella to my nose. I need to expand my descriptive vocabulary for shades of what I call a nuttiness note as I experience that smell in other oils too. With NT Ltd it’s like a faint/wispy note that resembles peanuts in the shell but it dissipates.

Thanks Fahad, The slight nuttiness in the opening of NT Ltd is completely without any notes associated under the barn umbrella to my nose. I need to expand my descriptive vocabulary for shades of what I call a nuttiness note as I experience that smell in other oils too. With NT Ltd it’s like a faint/wispy note that resembles peanuts in the shell but it dissipates.
This “nut note” ought to be explored some more. I have smelled many oils that display a bit of it, but not much detail about them. If it doesn’t fall under barn, what could it be. Maybe resin.
Case in point:
I have a couple boxes of Shoyeido Shokaku, and have been lighting from each for years. Then the notion that the older silk box version may possess greater amounts of Kyara, I sought to get one. After finding one, and with much anticipation, I finally lit a stick and BAM!! I got a touch of that “nut note”. Go figure???:confused:

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
IO - Pai Sia Kan, Sinensis III & Celebes.

All from samples, all sort of low so I'm trying to use them up. I'm getting annoyed at my oil collection, I have too many to get a good rotation going, I have so many oils that are simply not getting worn and are unlikely to get worn. It's frustrating. Think a big cull is due soon - I listed perhaps 10 oils on ebay today but feel the chances of them selling there are low.