Organic Oud.

Discussion in 'General' started by IbnRIbnAAIbnA, Jul 13, 2019.

1. IbnRIbnAAIbnA

IbnRIbnAAIbnA Feeling gOUD

Hi,
    What is the difference between organic, wild, cultivated Ouds?
    Any opinions on a good organic Oud which is reasonably priced?
    Thanks.

zakinkazi likes this.
  2. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

“Organic” has somehow been reinterpreted to mean “cultivated”. I have yet to see an organic oud with documentation needed to meet any kind of western conception of organic agriculture. Some of it may well be cultivated organically.

Wild means cultivated but maybe naturally infected? Sometimes no doubt it truly means a tree found in the wild.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  3. zakinkazi

zakinkazi Whats this Oud About?

Assalamo alaikm brother
    I am not expert enough to answer you first question
    But if you are looking for organic oud. Try from Oudh al anfar
    I have bought from their Mumbai, India based store and it was phenomenal experience.
    And newer found cheaper than ever yet. BTW Nikhil from perfume guru india has reviewed it on his YT aswell.

Mustakim Godil and MrK like this.
  4. IbnRIbnAAIbnA

Wa alaykumussalaam. Jazakallah. What is the name of the Oud?

5. IbnRIbnAAIbnA

Thanks Mr. P. Have you got any good recommendation?

6. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Anything from feel oud will be excellent - his oils punch very high for their weight, so to speak. He distills stuff personally and with great integrity. A true artisanal distiller personally involved in all aspects of production - no intermediaries for most of what he sells. He buys the wood, he personally chops it up, he actively tinkers and experiments with the extraction process to optimize and produce exquisite results. Can’t speak highly enough of feel oud.

If I wanted a decent entry level oud, I would start with him maybe. I feel like his personal spirituality and moral code was intimately linked to his philosophy of business. I trust him completely - we have had many long conversations and he is operating on a whole other level I think.

i got some budget Thai ouds from him that smell just like the top-shelf oils of some other vendors.

I have not sampled any of his recent oils and I don’t know if he has any budget oils now. He also sells some very expensive oils from wild stock.

Other sources I think you can trust but may require more $$$

Faridoux - sent me one of the best cultivated Thais I have smelled

Al Shareef - everything is top notch, but premium price (and worth it)

Imperial oud - everything I have smelled has been worth keeping, some great oils here

Oudimentary - haven’t sampled widely but also of solid reputation and with a budget oil to two.

I am sure some of the other vendors who are active here also have good oil but I can’t personally vouch for them. Let us know what you get and what you think!

Also I should add that there are other members here who have sampled the recent offerings of a wide variety of vendors to a much greater extent than I have. I have been studying a (relatively) small number of ouds over a long period of time and while I think I know what I’m talking about there are others who might be better sources for immediate recommendations.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Joe King likes this.
  7. zakinkazi

zakinkazi Whats this Oud About?

They offer only hindi and combodi at Mumbai store.

8. AbuTominaga

AbuTominaga Oud Fan

Hello everyone,

From my understanding, Organic means 2 things:
    1- it's plantation Agarwood
    2- There has been no (chemical/juice) inoculation done to the trees. Basically they are just drilled and left to form the Agarwood "Organically".

Plantation can be either organic or inoculated.

Tarik, Grega and zakinkazi like this.
  9. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

unfortunately organic just means plantation wood :( and unless you see how the trees are injured, then it could be any method, ie; drilling, hacking, burning, chemical.
    also note soil agarwood may mean it has been buried by hand and left for some time.

Martin, Mr.P, Tarik and 2 others like this.
  10. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

There are still some trees that are truly wild but as you say most are the result of human intervention (hacking, drilling) although they may be still in the jungle.

Martin, Woodland Note and AbuTominaga like this.
  11. AbuTominaga

AbuTominaga Oud Fan

It's good to ask your source about their definition and understanding of organic.
    I deal with distilleries in Thailand (Some in Cambodia and some Chinese merchants too), and pretty much that's what I understood from dealing with them.
    Organic can mean that the tree is "injured" in anyway as you mentioned. there it's mostly drilling. if it's nails they'll mention that too if you ask.
    But once they use any type of inoculation, they'd stop using the term "organic" with that.
    But I agree, with such terminology, it's better to always ask.

Joe King, Tarik and Woodland Note like this.
  12. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Resident Artisan

The way that most of the vendors here in Ouddict use the term "organic" usually refers to chemical free inoculation of plantation trees. Drilling is usually what we all prefer.

I have 1 wood in my shop that is from a wild tree that was drilled and left for 17 years before harvesting. That is the Lombok wood. Smells every bit as good as an old wild infection.

I also have some Bangladeshi wood that is drilled plantation wood from very old trees and the infections are quite old (I don't have an exact date on them). Everyone that tries the wood tells me it's some of the best they've had.

The goal of plantation woods and oils is to, at some point, make something as good as the wild stuff. Although I'd say most plantation stuff fails at this goal - it doesn't mean that there aren't some stellar examples of "organic" woods and oils out there. @Mr.P , above, certainly has made some good suggestions and examples.

As mentioned - it's always good to ask the vendor for more details if they aren't already mentioned in the listing.

Ouddict and AbuTominaga like this.

Promote Oud!