Fahad

True Ouddict
Is it Kashmiri or Siberian Musk there in the bottle?

I'm not quite sure...Got it from one of our vendors a long time ago...It's the one in the vial..Am not too sure if it's genuine as it was a one off sourced from an unknown supplier.

The other one in the bottle is from one of the big houses..This one seems quite genuine, is well cleaned, super strong and probably either Kashmiri or Nepali..

Attachments

• image1 (7).JPG
    image1 (7).JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 357
  • image2 (2).JPG
    image2 (2).JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 359
  • image3 (2).JPG
    image3 (2).JPG
    17 KB · Views: 340
  • image4 (1).JPG
    image4 (1).JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 340
  • image5 (1).JPG
    image5 (1).JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 362
  • image6 (1).JPG
    image6 (1).JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

Fahad

True Ouddict
And I am fully satisfied with my recent M.R.I (Musk Rose Inspiration):p

Musk Oud / Musk Rose / Musk Sandal / Oud Rose / Sandal Rose...All matches made in heaven..

"What a lovely thing a rose is...There is nothing in which deduction is so necessary as religion.. It can be built up as an exact science by the reasoner. Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our food, are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers.." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Fahad

True Ouddict
Dear Fahad, I was a little bit engaged in certain matters, so couldn't respond earlier. Otherwise, I would not have suggested to bring a living death- burying the bottle in sand- to the maceration.

In fact, a maceration doesn't go bad or stinky unless some low grade oil is used to macerate the grains or the grains have skin pieces- better say the inner layer of the Pod. They may create some stink if heated. Direct heat is not good for Musk Santal, but indirect. Boiled lukewarm water, and place the bottle into that, the way you have posted a picture: the bottle buried in sand. It is recommended while heating, keep the bottle uncapped. But I don't as I didn't heat that much. Now I have said goodbye to heating forever.

It does happen with Kashmiri Musk and Sandal one feels that the maceration has got corrupt after heating. But it is not so. If there are wet grains, again one feels some undesirable smell in the maceration after heating. Again it is momentary. But I don't opt heating wet grains even in the beginning. Now either wet grains or dry, no heating at all.

The quantity of Santal oil and grains in the picture is perfect. The colour is perfect. Now shaking the bottle will do.

Time has its own heat and pressure, and patience has shaking and stirring. Sniffing the neck of the bottle reveals everything. After heating, one feels there is some problem with the oil, but it is all a fear to lose. Let it get aged for a couple of months, there will be a strong aroma. If at all heating is needed, mug warmer is the best option. It is suggested to me by Mr Faheem.

Dear Munir, a pleasure always to read your posts...It has given me hope.

Life comes also after a seed is buried under sand : ) Nice recommendations though I have a reservation about involving water since if a bit too warm there is a chance of condensation with in the vial / bottle and the oil / musk may become damp and ultimately spoil..Mug warmer definitely less toilsome than working out in the heat and I really like the pocketing recommendation from brother Al Shareef..Get the stirring and heating both..Oh and also your timeless advice of two most formidable tools in perfumery..Time and patience : )

[/QUOTE]

Fahad

True Ouddict
Brother Munir which rose did you use in the Musk blend? Have the wet musk grains already worked their wonder on the rose?

Also how long does it take for you to see a noticeable effect on santal after a virgin maceration as in not from a santal musk paste or a santal already macerated for some time? Perhaps you no longer do that?

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Dear Munir, a pleasure always to read your posts...It has given me hope.

Life comes also after a seed is buried under sand : ) Nice recommendations though I have a reservation about involving water since if a bit too warm there is a chance of condensation with in the vial / bottle and the oil / musk may become damp and ultimately spoil..Mug warmer definitely less toilsome than working out in the heat and I really like the pocketing recommendation from brother Al Shareef..Get the stirring and heating both..Oh and also your timeless advice of two most formidable tools in perfumery..Time and patience : )
[/QUOTE]
Whatever the course is opted keeping in view one's possible convenience, the destination Musk will be there. I never miss the emergence of Musk throughout the maceration process taking place without heating. Heating, for me, is to quicken the process and leave behind a 'missing link' to connect the end result with the final one. I myself opt heating at time, but it is not my priority because the sheeny and velvety aroma is the outcome of 'time' management without heating. Heating is for me now soaked Oud wood distillation, and not-heating is un-soaked Oudwood distillation. Of course, soaking time does matter if one likes the end result.

"... Musk may become damp and ultimately spoil... ." No, it never happens, or it never happens to me. So far as stirring goes, my experiences are different.

There is no doubt that I do everything on my own, and do as my feelings map the course. So I just share what is my first hand knowledge.

PS: Once a respected member gifted me a maceration that he prepared through heating and took just some days. That Musk aroma was the best one to be achieved through heating and within a couple of days. That aroma can be created by one who has a fresh Pod. Otherwise impossible.

Last edited:

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Brother Munir which rose did you use in the Musk blend? Have the wet musk grains already worked their wonder on the rose?

Also how long does it take for you to see a noticeable effect on santal after a virgin maceration as in not from a santal musk paste or a santal already macerated for some time? Perhaps you no longer do that?
Musk Rose maceration is approximately 13 months old. Kashmiri Musk and White Rose, Bulgarian Rose and Persian Rose. Rose oils were transparent, but now you can see the colour. When macerated, the aroma was Rose and just Rose. But now Rose is Musk Rose. A nameless serenity has seeped into that aroma. I use it in blends. Now just 1 ml is left. I have placed orders for Pakistani Rose and Turkish Rose oils. Both will reach by tomorrow. And Taif Rose I will acquire from Saudi Arabia- Al Kama'al lil Wurood.

Just Rose is a loud fragrance for me. But in this maceration what I experienced brought a drastic change in my views. Now majority of blends are having this Musk Rose. But the Rose is controlled. Not at all loud. The reason is not just less amount, but the Musk has harnessed it, and injected fire and flare and depth.
Kashmiri Musk & Three Roses.jpg

Fahad

True Ouddict
Musk Rose maceration is approximately 13 months old. Kashmiri Musk and White Rose, Bulgarian Rose and Persian Rose. Rose oils were transparent, but now you can see the colour. When macerated, the aroma was Rose and just Rose. But now Rose is Musk Rose. A nameless serenity has seeped into that aroma. I use it in blends. Now just 1 ml is left. I have placed orders for Pakistani Rose and Turkish Rose oils. Both will reach by tomorrow. And Taif Rose I will acquire from Saudi Arabia- Al Kama'al lil Wurood.

Just Rose is a loud fragrance for me. But in this maceration what I experienced brought a drastic change in my views. Now majority of blends are having this Musk Rose. But the Rose is controlled. Not at all loud. The reason is not just less amount, but the Musk has harnessed it, and injected fire and flare and depth.
View attachment 5284

Quite a turn in color...simply the work of time..What a beauty!! So it seems the musk has tamed and trained well the wild rose!

I've always been curious about Pakistani Rose oils. How did you find yours? Does it match up to others or have a beauty of it's own?
Taifi from Kama'al lil Wurood...Does it come with recommendations?

Fahad

True Ouddict
Whatever the course is opted keeping in view one's possible convenience, the destination Musk will be there. I never miss the emergence of Musk throughout the maceration process taking place without heating. Heating, for me, is to quicken the process and leave behind a 'missing link' to connect the end result with the final one. I myself opt heating at time, but it is not my priority because the sheeny and velvety aroma is the outcome of 'time' management without heating. Heating is for me now soaked Oud wood distillation, and not-heating is un-soaked Oudwood distillation. Of course, soaking time does matter if one likes the end result.

"... Musk may become damp and ultimately spoil... ." No, it never happens, or it never happens to me. So far as stirring goes, my experiences are different.

There is no doubt that I do everything on my own, and do as my feelings map the course. So I just share what is my first hand knowledge.

PS: Once a respected member gifted me a maceration that he prepared through heating and took just some days. That Musk aroma was the best one to be achieved through heating and within a couple of days. That aroma can be created by one who has a fresh Pod. Otherwise impossible.[/QUOTE]

If heating can produce in 2 days a Musk aroma which is the best to be achieved for which one has to otherwise hold a long vigil then why not. My experience sadly has been different.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
hat aroma can be created by one who has a fresh Pod. Otherwise impossible.
This is the nucleus, and the rest he didn't share yet. What he shared that made sense to me. So, I seconded his experiment. I have two different Musk Sandal oils that are loaded with Musk. Though it is evident as well that heating had been done. I think the inner layer of the Musk Pod- epithelium- was used also.

Fahad

True Ouddict
The musk had finally made it's mark.. After 3 days of sun baking what was once only flora now had some fauna dwelling within. The color of the oil changed but I still wasn't getting that muskiness that I got from the grains direct. Yes a fine a veneer had rounded up the sweet santal scent but leaving much to be desired. So I decided to go on.

Day 5 ... I'm done heating...The smell has not improved infact I'm detecting some what of an off note. Whatever has caused it (excessive heat being the prime suspect, poor santal quality, excess matter in the musk) this is not the right way have learnt.

I'm now carrying around the bottle which to me seems the best recommendation...I almost (not quite) feel like the musk deer prancing around with this powerful powdery potion in my inner pocket. I wish I knew what you were smelling Monsieur Munir. I think I'll find out once I get some fresh grains and hold off on the heat! : )

Attachments

• Color difference.JPG
    Color difference.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 358
  • Color difference 2.jpg
    Color difference 2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 418
  • Day 3 Sun baked.JPG
    Day 3 Sun baked.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 344

Rai Munir

Musk Man
The musk had finally made it's mark.. After 3 days of sun baking what was once only flora now had some fauna dwelling within. The color of the oil changed but I still wasn't getting that muskiness that I got from the grains direct. Yes a fine a veneer had rounded up the sweet santal scent but leaving much to be desired. So I decided to go on.

Day 5 ... I'm done heating...The smell has not improved infact I'm detecting some what of an off note. Whatever has caused it (excessive heat being the prime suspect, poor santal quality, excess matter in the musk) this is not the right way have learnt.

I'm now carrying around the bottle which to me seems the best recommendation...I almost (not quite) feel like the musk deer prancing around with this powerful powdery potion in my inner pocket. I wish I knew what you were smelling Monsieur Munir. I think I'll find out once I get some fresh grains and hold off on the heat! : )
Yeaaaah! This is the way to be Musky.

Well, what I observed whenever dry drains are macerated, colour emerges soon, especially Tibetan and Siberian. Kashmiri Musk scent appears late. I carry Musk Paste with me. Macerations are a lot, so I will be a laughing stock in community. Though at home, my children gather around the boxes and emulate my sniffing applicators. And pass comments:(:Cry:. But more muskier than musk it is.

Here are some vials for my friend. I just decanted oils from big bottles. The two vials on the left side of the picture are having two year old macerations.
Musk.jpg

Akhira

Oud Beginner
Hi everyone,
I'm just making this post to express my awful feeling about the latest marketing of a certain vendor.
This vendor is putting an EDP with musk on the market.
Until now no problem as he's free to sell whatever he wants.
What is detestful is pretending with a certain style and subtility that only his musk is genuine and others even from trusted vendors must be fake.
It is very sad to see what ego can do even hypocrisy ya3uthubiLLAH.
Quoting mr ego oud:

"One of the things this whole experience reaffirmed for me is that pretty much ALL musk you find anywhere is fake. From the stuff the "trusted vendors" have sold, to what you're offered as genuine muskiness straight from Russia."
" It's been six years I don't acquire any (new) deer musk, since my spiritual guide officially forbade me from doing so. He said it would be oppression and destruction of Allah's creation, to kill the musk deer to extinction. I have a small batch of grains I had acquired prior to the Sheikh's injunction..."

So because you opened 3 pods for the first time of your life (i know it can be exiting and in your case very powerful for your brain)you have the pretention to say that even the trusted vendors sold fake musk?.
You can't just accept that someone could simply have the honor to have or smell musk.You want us to buy your EDP to smell real musk?I'm sorry to tell you that you are late in this game and also in the brain.

Sorry for my english and thoses who love this vendor.
When i think about poeple like uncle Rai ,Faheem, Al Shareef and others who love Musk,i can't imagine that they are wasting times and money with a fake product.
May The Peace be with you all.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
@Akhira its simple to put it into 2 words "plain rubbish" @NinjaRobb will tell you that, some people never learn. His sheikh also prohibited any new wild Oud distillations in 2012 due to the decline in agarwood trees and this was used to market the farewell distillations. Best to avoid this all but i can appreciate your feelings.

Grega

True Ouddict
Hi everyone,
I'm just making this post to express my awful feeling about the latest marketing of a certain vendor.
This vendor is putting an EDP with musk on the market.
Until now no problem as he's free to sell whatever he wants.
What is detestful is pretending with a certain style and subtility that only his musk is genuine and others even from trusted vendors must be fake.
It is very sad to see what ego can do even hypocrisy ya3uthubiLLAH.
Quoting mr ego oud:

"One of the things this whole experience reaffirmed for me is that pretty much ALL musk you find anywhere is fake. From the stuff the "trusted vendors" have sold, to what you're offered as genuine muskiness straight from Russia."
" It's been six years I don't acquire any (new) deer musk, since my spiritual guide officially forbade me from doing so. He said it would be oppression and destruction of Allah's creation, to kill the musk deer to extinction. I have a small batch of grains I had acquired prior to the Sheikh's injunction..."

So because you opened 3 pods for the first time of your life (i know it can be exiting and in your case very powerful for your brain)you have the pretention to say that even the trusted vendors sold fake musk?.
You can't just accept that someone could simply have the honor to have or smell musk.You want us to buy your EDP to smell real musk?I'm sorry to tell you that you are late in this game and also in the brain.

Sorry for my english and thoses who love this vendor.
When i think about poeple like uncle Rai ,Faheem, Al Shareef and others who love Musk,i can't imagine that they are wasting times and money with a fake product.
May The Peace be with you all.
Where did he write these things?