Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Yes your 100% correct :) Im not really looking for oil quantity in how im making the attar , ill put the 150 grams of this agar into my small glass set up and add the sandalwood oil to that glass pot as well and just do a short distillation , this i find gives up the scent profile of the agarwood , a few drops of the agarwood oil is enough to give the sandal its unique agar profile , ill only distill it for 6-8 hours , so im really only looking to bring a certain part of the agarwood oil out as well , the part that has the pheremone and im not sure what else . Why i think this is how i heat agar resin , there are 3 distinct parts , on low first it will bubble and that has the pheremone and smell that i want for the sandal oil infusion the second part goes flat on the burner and this is the part i use to smell in my enegy work and meditations and kodo the third part goes wrinkly and can take 50 hours or so on low to get to this part has the narcotic properties and is no good for my workings . With this understanding im trying to bring over only a special part of the agar into the sandal. With everything i do i dont really know what im doing im usually led by my intuition and trial and error . I think its great to have traditions and to follow the ways of the past . I dont have any such links though so i just do what i like and see how it plays out . I always appreciate others input and it makes me better so i really do thank you for your wisdom .

Yes I agree, if you distil you other oils first, then using a lab/glass setup (small one) add the grounded Vietnamese together with your oils you will get better results, the oils will help break down the denser resin structures and form new bonds with your oils that otherwise would be impossible in a straight steam/hydro distillation. The only thing you have to keep in mind is the other oils will become double distil.

I would suggest you add some boiling stones as well to avoid the grounded dust congealing with the oils into a slug. I would also heat one side of the flask if you have a full ball with flat bottom, if you have the concave then even heat will be fine.

I wish you luck, this is what it's all about taking the plunge and discussing to learn.