RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
2 fried pods up!
Pretty cool info. Thanks. Basically the frying is how the pods are preserved rather then a method by which the infusion is created?

Just about finding thquality grains and right oil to match and a whole lot of time?

So betweem your famed fried Mongolian attar and your 5 year old Tibetan oil you dont detect immense similarities in end product profile?

Of course there are similarities - similar to how Agarwood or Sandalwood, regardless of where it’s from, smells similar. Wine or whiskey or chocolate, for that matter, too. The magic of the differences is in the nuance.

Yes - the frying is a preservative method.
Still made by maceration.

I try to find really unique or distinctive vintage Sandal batches to make them in, too.

Generally takes me 5 or so vintage finds before I find a suitable batch of oil to make a batch with. Most are duds ... flat, uninteresting, overoxidized, sometimes not pure ... gets expensive sorting through all the cruds and duds.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Thanks for the vote of confidence ;)

Solely Musk and Sandalwood - nothing else added :)

The Mongolian Fried was made with 1940’s Mysore and with a traditional “oil fried” Mongolian pod and was made @50% by weight.

My Tibetans I generally make @35% by weight.

I age them all a minimum of 5 years before they are ready.

Historically - there are 2 general ways of preserving pods, given that they are flesh.

Drying (which is how most have likely seen them)

Smoked - which we often don’t see as it imparts wood smoke and some argue takes away from the animalic / musk scent - but then again some like the woodsmoke as it adds Umami and depth.

There’s a 3rd rarely seen method :

Oil-Fried : generally only seen in Mongolia, rarely seen with Outsiders (non-Mongols) and even more rarely outside of China, and hardly ever seen any longer these days. The pods are flash fried in an “oil that’s never changed, just added to”. Exactly what that oil is, no clue. My best guess is in Horse Oil. The old stories are that the oil itself is more potent than a pod as a result of charging over and over with flash frying the pods. But it’s an old preservation method, and is generally considered a superior method of preservation and does not take away from its potency. Historically, as trade was by land and sea and often loaded in crates for months or years at a time - these pods never went bad or lost potency and were favored for that reason.

In my experience - and the way that I make them - can definitely smell a regional difference when I make them.

Hope that helps
:)
Zabardast (marvellous)!

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Generally takes me 5 or so vintage finds before I find a suitable batch of oil to make a batch with.
Dear JK, I have been an unconditional lover of Musk and Sandal maceration. Of course vintage is a blessing. But, nowadays, I am thinking on Moringa oils why it has been mentioned a lot by a great many Musk connoisseurs.

Hope you or somebody else here could be in a position to elaborate this point.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Dear JK, I have been an unconditional lover of Musk and Sandal maceration. Of course vintage is a blessing. But, nowadays, I am thinking on Moringa oils why it has been mentioned a lot by a great many Musk connoisseurs.

Hope you or somebody else here could be in a position to elaborate this point.

Eventually goes rancid

Bigboy

True Ouddict
Eventually goes rancid
What a terrible waste of the most beautiful animalic on earth! Keep that away from my fine musk grains!

I'll slather it all over my katana and wakizashi along with some clove though! That my freinds is the smell of death when it walks upon you during the Edo period. ⛩

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
What a terrible waste of the most beautiful animalic on earth! Keep that away from my fine musk grains!

I'll slather it all over my katana and wakizashi along with some clove though! That my freinds is the smell of death when it walks upon you during the Edo period. ⛩

My beloved Choji.

I have a feeling you’d love my Bushido and BlueShido ;)

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Muskone:(:

It is synthetically prepared and used. I am afraid this is why certain musk attars on the Middle East market smell the same.

Screenshot_2020-04-21-02-53-54-04~2.png