Mica Plate Drawing (template)

Discussion in 'Oud Wood' started by Ashfaque, May 29, 2018.

1. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Hope I'm posting in the appropriate section.

You will find some mica plate + heating element drawing on google drive https://tinyurl.com/y9wy7ott

This drawing is done with Inkscape (v 0.92.2) using 'vertical graphics', based on the heating element drawing by KyaraZen. Vertical graphics allows one to edit the file anyway (you see fit without sacrificing in quality) - i.e. , one can customise the design of the heating element, mica plate size and base of KZ's Subitism style electric incense heater.

I have also uploaded a .pdf file for those who simply want to print the template to make their own just like a KZ one. Pick the 'Actual size' option for during printing.

Enjoy your incense - very slowly!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. Oud Indigo

Oud Indigo Whats this Oud About?

Thank You Ashfaque.

All I need is a suitable raku cup to put it in.!

Ashfaque likes this.
  3. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

You're welcome and all the bests, OI. It's fun.

Important note: If your mica plates are quite thin (say < 0.1 mm ), they can easily flake off whilst you try to sew in the heating element wire - which is exactly what happened in my case. So I threaded the wire into mica plates by taping them on all four sides. But once you're done threading the wire, be very careful when you're peeling off the tape and go slowly. Otherwise, they'll flake off!

Here is my rusty version. But it does the job. :)

Oud Indigo likes this.
  4. Oud Indigo

Oud Indigo Whats this Oud About?

Thank you Ashfaque. You anticipated and answered the first question that popped into my mind, thickness of mica plate. 1.0mm seemed too thin. I hardly get an excuse to use my grandad's old micrometer. so here we go. I imagined I'd end up with a randomly shaped mica plate from a rock & mineral bin gleaned from a souvenir shop, then layout and thread the middle before cutting it down to shape. Maybe I'll have some fun figuring out a method, and/ or a little jig that keeps it all looking pretty.

Ashfaque likes this.
  5. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

As per KZ's tutotrial, I was looking for raw and very thin mica sheet (about 0.1 mm). But I found these ones, which are a bit thinner - about 0.08 mm. Hence I did that sandwich thingy.

I also ensured the distance between the two mica section (threaded and the top one) is not more than 2mm. That way I can adjust the intensity of burning even better.

On top that, I add another smaller mica sheet, where I put tiny chips and resins. Alternatively, you can simply cut those larger ones into halves for that purpose.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Oud Indigo and Joe King like this.
  6. parsovl

parsovl Just Arrived

Hi where did u get your mica sheets? I'm having real trouble finding any suitable for job??

7. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

@parsovl You will find links in my last post. :)

Oud Indigo likes this.
  8. parsovl

parsovl Just Arrived

Thanks

9. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

Oud Indigo and Ashfaque like this.

Promote Oud!