Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Thought I share a photo of Nha Trang White Kyara that I saw in an agarwood shop in Shanghai.

Very nicely showcased in a display cabinet
View attachment 615

Very exorbitant price! :confused:
View attachment 616
It is selling for RMB 36,000, which is about USD5,224 in today market, per gram. The piece is 625 grams and that work out to be about USD3.27 million! :eek:

When it comes to art, collectables, antiquities and archaeological uncovering economical cost formulations are simply not applicable. How much would someone be willing to pay for a ancient parchment of the Bible or Quran...or an ancient relic, I know of people who have paid over 21mil sterling pounds for one piece of Islamic artefacts, the size of which was like the finger. Kyara is not simply a scent to the Japanese it is cultural heritage, it is like archaeological relics for them.

@Mandeel AlMandeel

200milli grams from 1000milligrams is a very good yield, I am assuming it was a solvent extract, even then it is very impressive.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
When it comes to art, collectables, antiquities and archaeological uncovering economical cost formulations are simply not applicable. How much would someone be willing to pay for a ancient parchment of the Bible or Quran...or an ancient relic, I know of people who have paid over 21mil sterling pounds for one piece of Islamic artefacts, the size of which was like the finger. Kyara is not simply a scent to the Japanese it is cultural heritage, it is like archaeological relics for them.

@Mandeel AlMandeel

200milli grams from 1000milligrams is a very good yield, I am assuming it was a solvent extract, even then it is very impressive.

20% yield is indeed impressive but dont forget it's kyara lol

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
I wonder what it smells like compared to Kyara LTD. Please compare with your tiny vial of Kyara LTD and get back to us if you have the time!

You 'liked' the post... so does that mean we will get a comparison?!

P_20170325_191556_zps8tqscbum.jpg

Have a nice weekend everyone.;)

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
I know there is a lot of excitement about 'if there was a Kyara Oil" but i wonder how many takers there would be. Kyara 'waste' dust/shavings from the carving process can be acquired for around $300 USD per gram, lets run some numbers;

if we take 10% yield through solvent extraction using undenatured 100% ethanol, where 1000milli grams would yield 100milligrams, that would make the price $300 USD for 0.1grams. Excluding running costs and profit.

Add operating costs, keeping in mind that it will required a minimum of ten cycles to achieve the yield possibly more...

We are looking at ~$400 USD per 0.1gram, $4000USD per gram, $10,000USD per 2.5grams. Cost only.

We have a few different formulations that could get this to work, but there would have to be a minimum 1gram commitment, so $4000 USD, without profit. How many people want some :)...

Dont get me wrong, we have aged Hindi's over 90years, and Shaykhs in the gulf pay more than that, but would the online market go for such a product, i don't think so...maybe we need to focus our marketing to the Yakuza :p:p:p:p

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
I know there is a lot of excitement about 'if there was a Kyara Oil" but i wonder how many takers there would be. Kyara 'waste' dust/shavings from the carving process can be acquired for around $300 USD per gram, lets run some numbers;

if we take 10% yield through solvent extraction using undenatured 100% ethanol, where 1000milli grams would yield 100milligrams, that would make the price $300 USD for 0.1grams. Excluding running costs and profit.

Add operating costs, keeping in mind that it will required a minimum of ten cycles to achieve the yield possibly more...

We are looking at ~$400 USD per 0.1gram, $4000USD per gram, $10,000USD per 2.5grams. Cost only.

We have a few different formulations that could get this to work, but there would have to be a minimum 1gram commitment, so $4000 USD, without profit. How many people want some :)...

Dont get me wrong, we have aged Hindi's over 90years, and Shaykhs in the gulf pay more than that, but would the online market go for such a product, i don't think so...maybe we need to focus our marketing to the Yakuza :p:p:p:p

Or one can buy a 'kyara' oil for a lot less from a well know vendor #MEMRI

chihai83

Oud Beginner
i have never try it, but heard that the quality changed over the years substantially and not for the better.
its like quality down and price up now days, i have see some old stocks of Shoyeido chips set on ebay at a good price but very rarely.
Any recent purchase. Plêase share the experience of Shoyeido kyara chip